• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Think You Have Mean Parents?

Peanutz

So i herd you leik peanutz?
    Years

Well, you might wanna think again.

https://www.engadget.com/2008/02/29/worst-p...he-got-an-xbox/

This poor kid was pranked by his own parents into thinking they got him an Xbox360.

That's pretty sad. Maybe the parents were trying to teach him a lesson. But that's just wrong. They laughed and mocked the poor kid as he cried...

The article kinda stretches the truth, though. They're definitely not the WORST parents in the WORLD.

My parents are nice. ^_^

Last edited:

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I don't have mean parents at all. My mom is strict, but she loves me to death, and is only strict when I'm misbehaving, which is basically never. XD And Dad loves me so much, he's willing to do anything to make me happy. If I came up to him right now and asked him for something $900, he'd go out and get it. Of course, mom would stop him because we're sort of tight. XD But he'd do it if she didn't know. XD But no, my parents would never do something like that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Oh please. Yes, it is upsetting, but their are many things worse that a parent can do to their child that is considered mean. I really don't understand why this gets a whole article on it. I mean, it was a kid being pranked into thinking he got an Xbox 360 for Christmas. To me, that's not really all that serious of a prank or even mean, but that's just my opinion. Why so many people made a big deal about this is also very confusing. I mean, like I said, it's upsetting, but they get so serious about things like this. Just read the comments. So many logical responses are considered vile. It's just really upsetting how people would think this is serious.

The article says something that's really stupid:

Jonathan, you out there? Screw those people, they clearly don't understand what it is to be a kid and to want an awesome gadget so badly you can taste it
    Uhm.. yeah. Many people understand what it's like to be a kid. I mean, they were one at one time in their life. Their are more important things in life than wanting an "awesome gadget". Whoever wrote that article, to me, clearly has no intelligence because they made it obvious that they supported Jonathan, which many other people would, over something so minor than this. It was a prank, people, it wasn't something like beating the child with something until he cried.

Well, you might wanna think again.

Mmm.. I've been thinking about this and yes. I do think I do have a mean parent, who does things worse than this. This statement goes for many others out their who have the same problems that I have in my home life, which is the reason many of the people I know spend so much time online. Their is a fine line between a prank on someone's expense and being cold-hard mean.

Rob said something I completely agree with:
    this is what's wrong with the world today. seriously, this is news? i'm supposed to feel sorry for this kid? at least he got something. growing up, my parents would often wrap things in used boxes. granted, the choice of the xbox box in this case was of poor taste, it's not unusual to get clothes boxed up in a totally unrelated box. in fact, it was often a fun game to wrap things in multiple boxes to trick the recipient not once, but twice, while opening the gift. it was all in good fun. the point was the thought. seriously.
    The boy got something he needed. People, especially kids, take clothing for granted when so many people need clothing.

Yes, I do know I sound mean about the situation but I felt I needed to reply to this since I believe I do have a mean parent.

Michii

as in Mishy
    Years
    Uber old. 'Fo sho. I don't feel bad for the kid, unfortunately. Why? Because he's over it by now and probably had an X-box donated to him by some random person who felt bad for him.

Blah, now to the title question which I was originally coming here to answer. I have nice parents. Well, I have three parents, actually if I think about it. Mom is nice; sometimes a little bit reactionary, but nice. Step-dad is kind of nice. I mean, he loves me and such, but he always gets angry at little things and is annoyed by little questions. It bothers me a little. My biological father is nice enough. When I see him, he's a good guy, but he rarely gives me birthday cards [although I just got one for the first time in four years this year :3].

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    It's an Xbox 360, getting an empty box for Christmas would be the best present ever.

PB.

'PB
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    I don't have mean parents, they don't ground me or make me do chores. But they are embarresing..

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    I feel for the kid. I mean, if I were to be fooled into thinking I got something nice for Christmas and it turned out to be a prank, I'd be a tad distressed.

Regarding the question at hand, no. I do not think I have mean parents. They're easy to please and very lenient. The only thing that would bother them is declining grades, which is almost never a problem in my case. If anything; I'd say my parents are great.

Euphoric Magikarp

Magikarp ~<3
    Years
    Oh wahhh, cry me a river. I got an empty GBA box once from my brother, no need to be such a baby. If my family didn't play jokes on each other we'd have nothing to talk about. My parents aren't mean at all really, I just get them riled up and angry :3.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I don't believe my parents are mean in any way. They do get on my nerves once in a while, but if they are willing to wait in a huge-ass line for a new iPhone for me, or to skip work when I'm sick, or even buy everything I want.

About the article, everything was said way too dramatically. And I quote the title,
    Worst parents in the world

Now seriously, people get abused by their parents on a daily basis. Don't think it's right to put that as the title. I DO believe it was harsh to video tape it and put it on youtube. Although, It says people are trying to hook him up with one because of that. Now if they are really doing that, let me film my reaction and hook me up with one, k?

Mine definitely are. But, im Filipino so its natural.

Heh...Mine are too, but mine aren't strict. :P

popsicles.

F A S C I N A T I O N .
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2009
    No, I don't think I have very mean parents.

Offcourse, my Dad likes to pull out pranks at me soo very often that it annoys me sometimes. An example? Yesterdaymorning he told my that my bestie was at the front door. I stumbled out of my bed, took a shower in 2.3minutes and got dressed in 45sec. Naturally, there was no bestie around and he only did that because he didn't wanted me to stay in bed for too long.. >.> And well, I'm so dumb to believe everything that he says.

And my Mum, well she's just a little bit overprotecting ..
    She wants to know where I am, what I'm doing, with who, and that constantly. She sees pervertic minds everywhere, but yeah,
    I understand, since that's her way of showing how much she loves me, I suppose.

Tenbinza

Master of the Mighty Harisen!
    Years
    You call parents pulling a prank on their kid the "Worst Parents in the World"? That is clearly a exaggeration since there are FAR worse parents can do to their child(so much so, that I can't say). And if some random person is gonna donate an Xbox 360 to the kid, then the matter's solved. Everybody's happy. (Except for maybe the YouTubers who may have seen the video)

As for the question itself, I have great parents except when they embarrass me about boys and stuff, but that's normal.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2008
    Well my parents are not mean. They sometimes get on my nerves in public, in front of huge crowds of people. My Dad is rarely mean. My Mom is sometimes mean but usually not.

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    ..That was effing horrible. It's sick and twisted to play head-games with you kid like that. I mean, it would have been one thing to just say "we can't afford the xbox," but to bring his hopes like that by wrapping up the empty box like that only to find out that all that was inside it were clothes...that's just disgusting. Don't get me wrong, the 360, and I've gone through about 3 of them since first getting one last Christmas (Damn thing keeps overheating >_<), but it could have been anything.

Anyways, to answer the question, no, my parents aren't mean. Or strict. Actually, they're both quite careless. I get away with..just about everything ._.;

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    dey r so mean. i h8 dem. dey sux

Really

They are nice
    I can do waht I want.
    ][][][-Post sponsored by Apple-][][][

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years
    Oh please. Yes, it is upsetting, but their are many things worse that a parent can do to their child that is considered mean. I really don't understand why this gets a whole article on it. I mean, it was a kid being pranked into thinking he got an Xbox 360 for Christmas. To me, that's not really all that serious of a prank or even mean, but that's just my opinion. Why so many people made a big deal about this is also very confusing. I mean, like I said, it's upsetting, but they get so serious about things like this. Just read the comments. So many logical responses are considered vile. It's just really upsetting how people would think this is serious.

The article says something that's really stupid:

Uhm.. yeah. Many people understand what it's like to be a kid. I mean, they were one at one time in their life. Their are more important things in life than wanting an "awesome gadget". Whoever wrote that article, to me, clearly has no intelligence because they made it obvious that they supported Jonathan, which many other people would, over something so minor than this. It was a prank, people, it wasn't something like beating the child with something until he cried.
    <_<
    When our parents were kids, they didn't have XBoxes. :]
    This is just like an adult getting caught on security cams buying a fake lotto ticket, scratching it off and going crazy, then everyone in the store laughing at them when the cashier says it's fake.

NOT the best feeling in the world. Damn, I feel sorry for the kid. This IS cruel. It's CHRISTMAS, for heavens sake. I HAVE A MEAN PARENT TOO and my mom left me at 4 onths of age. My dad verbally abuses me and has scarred me worse than this. THIS IS STILL DOWNRIGHT CRUEL.

Rant over. <3

Back