• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Do you understand Japanese?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2019
    I can't say that I'm good. I'm actually taking my N4 JLPT proficiency test this coming December.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Learned how to read hiragana and katakana in 8th grade but its been so long that I haven't retained all of it - still can remember most of them though which is nice! Definitely far from fluent though, I only took Japanese for a year as we were required to choose a language so my knowledge is super basic. :D

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    I'm not 100% fluent, although I'm working on it. My initial interest in anime is what prompted me to try and learn Japanese, and I can now carry a simple conversation in Japanese. I still have trouble reading kanji, however.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    I've studied in Japan for over a year, so I'd say my level is intermediate. I'm Chinese so while I can't fluently read Japanese aloud since kanji can have various different readings, I can typically guess the meaning through the kanji.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I've been taking classes for over a year and plan to continue through college. My pronunciation is decent, but I still have a long ways to go in terms of speaking, reading, and listening. Listening is easily the hardest part since many native speakers talk so quickly.

Izicomics

Banned
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 12, 2020
    I can't read though thanks to the anime if I can say I understand speech a little

Back