• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you wait till the game is over to create your official team?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    I think about the team during the course of the main storyline and catch the Pokemon I want, but I don't actually get my final party until I beat the game. Everything for me needs to be EV trained to be used in my official team, and EV training from the start is a bad choice, so I wait until I beat my game. Hell, I went through all of SoulSilver, plus Kanto's Gyms, with a Butterfree! xD

c3rad

Grass-Type user
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2012
    I usually build a team before I start, to sort of get a general idea. Then I'll look up some movesets and sort of make my own.

Then I actually start my game and work with my team along the way. I do often make changes along the way to fit the needs of the rest of my team, but I still concentrate on making a team before the E4 because that's the main goal of my adventure.

Styxx

Obsessive Breeder
    Years
  • I usually grab a certain six female pokemon to work with through the game, then use them as a basis to start breeding my post-E4 team for IVs and any egg moves I may want. No point in training your official team from the beginning, you can't exactly EV train while going through the plot.

So, sort of. I have a team in mind from the start, but I don't get the final, official pokemon until after the game's finished.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I always wait until after I beat the game before getting to work on my competitive team. That way, I know where Pokemon are for EV training purposes, have full access to breeding/trading, and have the money necessary for various items I might need. It's just easier for me.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • If I know the Pokemon that'll be in the game, I'll plan my in-game team before the game, like I did for HG. I planned all the moves and even recaught a few things to get decent natures.

For Black/White, though, I'll just catch the coolest thing I see and have fun with it. ;3

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2010
    I usually just make it along the way. Planning is to much work and it takes away the fun a bit.

Wasen

The Wolf of Darkness
    Years
  • I often has my team ready to go when I have finished the sixth or seventh gym so my absolute team is enough leveled before I defeat the elite 4.

Back