• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you wait till the game is over to create your official team?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I actually plan out my in-game team using the same basic process one would use to build a competitive team...just without caring about EVs and natures too much...even a Sassy Crobat can be used on an ingame team with no troubles. I just make sure all my ingame pokemon are male so they can more easily pass their attacks down to their children that do eventually get EV trained and become a long-term member of my wifi team. XD

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I always create my team after the game is over.
    so that I have more time to roam about and train My Pokemon.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Neither, I create my teams before I start playing. Honestly, I've beaten Pokemon so much that I find it more fun to come up with the teams and then try to get them.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I work on them during the game. Natures, sometimes IVs, and of course some moves. But it's a lot easier to do it AFTER I beat the game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Nope, I don't even think of teams, I just throwdown my current favorite pokemon into whatever fits.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I'll typically create my official team by breeding after I'm done playing through it, so I can use the breeding process to get egg moves and better IV's for my main team.

But I'll put a lot of thought even into my in-game team that I'll use to beat the game.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    Neither, I create my teams before I start playing. Honestly, I've beaten Pokemon so much that I find it more fun to come up with the teams and then try to get them.
    This, to be honest. I try to come up with balanced teams and even movesets before I even start the game. :O

Sometimes I make it up as I go. But I never make my team after the E4 (unless it's a new addition or for EV training).

Years
    I made my official team after beating Leaf Green and Emerald once. Now it owns Battle frontier without much problem.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I very rarely make my official team after beating the game. I've only done that one time, and it was only because my official team was only 4 Pokemon as opposed to the normal 6. But my official team is always my "beat the E4" team. That's the game for me, haha. I don't care too much for stuff after the E4.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    This, to be honest. I try to come up with balanced teams and even movesets before I even start the game. :O

Sometimes I make it up as I go. But I never make my team after the E4 (unless it's a new addition or for EV training).
    To be honest, nowadays, I only play Pokemon when I'm doing a Challenge. So it sort of takes moveset planning to work well. Pokemon just isn't much of a challenge for me anymore.

Father-nature

I train only the finest
    Years
    When i start to think about it, yes i think i actually do that. I win the pokemon league
    then i start looking for the pokemon i want with movesets and stats etc.

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
    Quite the opposite. I plan what Pokemon I'm going to use throughout the game before I even start it. I keep the same team throughout the whole game, and I never get rid of the starter.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Simple for me. My regular teams differ from my competitive teams. For instance, I would never use the strategies I use in competitive battles in regular play, and if I use those strategies for regular play on Wi-Fi, I'd get owned. I build my regular (offline, non-competitive) teams as I go through the game, and after its over, I build my competitive teams.

Coukie

It's only faint
    Years
    I plan the team out in terms of deciding who I will use competitively and what-not, but I don't actually begin to build the team until after I've beaten the Elite Four. It just opens up any EV locations I might not have had earlier on in the game.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
    Years
    i build my competative team after i beat the league, and its completly different to my regular team.
    Except for yellow, where my team was the same in game to battling my brother

Years
    I usually just make a balanced team out of the Pokémon that I can catch in-game until I beat the Elite Four. When I have the full range of Pokémon available to me (ie. the National Dex) I'll start up a proper team with the right EVs and IVs and all that jazz (not that it makes much of a difference, I'm hopeless when it comes to strategy anyway).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I actually planned to have a certain team in HG and I forgot to use ~most~ besides Ampharos and Typhlosion which were like obvious. In B/W, I'll probably want a team of Koromori, the Swan, Chiramii, Shimama, Caterpie Clone and Wooguru, but then again, I most likely will use whatever I see is strongest. :(

In other words... no, I just have a team of Pokemon built up throughout gameplay and then grind their levels so they're stronger than they really should be, idk.

Back