• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone like Ash's traveling companions this season?

shadowchick

The Reaper Empress trainer
Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011
    Well, at least most of you guys aren't doing the fan-couples thing.... I've done with a friend involving N in the couple..... ^^;;

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I like that they are gym leaders just like Brock and Misty were. I still miss Misty... I somewhat despised May and I never really got around to get a feeling for Dawn. I just didn't sense any real personalities in them. But Iris has some. She's a naive and not as easily angered Misty :3 Teasing Ash and all.

And Dent is weird with his tasting... I haven't watched the dub, only the japanese episodes. And I don't plan on doing otherwise. But still in the subs all the tasting of pokémon and battles sounds... so weird. But I like him as a character otherwise. Even though he's a bit too bland and calm.

The trio isn't at all as dynamic and fun as Misty, Ash and Brock were, of course. Oh, how I miss them.

Jalsy

RESET
    Years
  • The trio isn't at all as dynamic and fun as Misty, Ash and Brock were, of course. Oh, how I miss them.

Same here. Though I still like Ash's new companions. Iris and Cilan [might remind someone from the old characters and Ash's companion, Like both were gym leaders in the game or in the anime series]. It's nice having new characters. They really remind me the original trio..for some reasons.[my opinion only]

Venzeron

Canine Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Cilian is either a girl in disguise or gender confused, but Iris in my opinion is better than Dawn but worse than May and Misty.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Cilan is OK, but his eyes creep me out. Iris is OK too, though I liked it better when she was suppose to be an Anime only character.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024

Same here. Though I still like Ash's new companions. Iris and Cilan [might remind someone from the old characters and Ash's companion, Like both were gym leaders in the game or in the anime series]. It's nice having new characters. They really remind me the original trio..for some reasons.[my opinion only]

I think they are meant to be like the old trio. So much in this season is just like things were in the first season. Like how Ash has all three starters on his team again, two gym leaders with him, Team Rocket is serious again...

And I have an idea about the reason being that 5th gen is the last one... that there will be no 6th gen. And the pokémon creators want to go back to the roots to, sort of, finish the circle.

Buuuutbut let's not discuss that in this thread. Sorry.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • Hahaha, niiiice.

I dislike Iris with a burning passion of fifty suns. Instead of making her the delightful, optimistic, cheery and pleasant character we only got to see a small part of in the gameverse, the writers thought it was FANTASTIC!!111!11! to make her selfish, downgrade her to a common trainer, annoying, irritating and pointless. I hate the fact that she's undeniably similar to Misty, and gets the creepy Misty fans butthurt as a result. The thing I hate most of all which is not directly her, but the paedo-boy fans that worship such a horribly written character.

CILAN... on the other hand... *purrs* Not only is he handsome, but I love the split personality thing he's got going. I like the Sommelier thing he's introducing to the anime- it's a nice little side-thing he's got going. His personality has much more colour, life and character- making him for more amusing than Little Miss Nerffed. There is a lot more I love about Cilan, but I don't my post to get too long.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2011
    I dis-like Iris more so than I dis-liked Misty, which is impressive, because I really did not like Misty at all. Iris is like Misy X2.
    Cilan's alright. He's clearly been crafted around Brock, but meh.

Cilian describes everything like it's edible so much he makes me hungry, Iris calls Ash a kid so often those of over the age of 21 could make a drinking game out of watching pokemon :P

Epic game would be epic. :P

Soraine

(*゚.゚)
    Years
  • I'm watching the Japanese version of the Anime and I like Dent, I think he's the best of the two. He's definitely got that sort of personality and attitude that the group needs. Although about Iris? I'll still have to give her a bit of thought, she's just neutral at the moment.

Also I don't like either of them as much as I like Misty and Brock.

shadowchick

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011
    I'm watching the Japanese version of the Anime and I like Dent, I think he's the best of the two. He's definitely got that sort of personality and attitude that the group needs. Although about Iris? I'll still have to give her a bit of thought, she's just neutral at the moment.

Also I don't like either of them as much as I like Misty and Brock.

Trust me, if you had seen the English version, you'll see what I mean.

shadowchick

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011
    I like Cilan, but well, I prefer him better in the Japanese version. Iris isn't catching my interest much, but I like her dragons. I miss Misty. xD

Ink Heart, I think it would've worked better if they had let one of the trainers from the game travel with Ash. That way he wouldn't be such a noob, and we'd have someone with maybe the grass-starter ad their choice. I mean.... May chose Torchic, a fire starter, and Dawn chose Piplup, a water starter. So wouldn't it have been nice if a trIner traveling with Ash had chosen Snivy?

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Cilan is okay iris makes me want to puke. is it just me or does black and white seem to be a little out of sync with the original series?

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
    Years
  • Cilan is okay iris makes me want to puke. is it just me or does black and white seem to be a little out of sync with the original series?

It's kinda supposed to be out of sync... It's supposed to be like a brand new experience. Kinda like if you watched all the seasons but the first, and then watched the first, it would feel weird.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • I think I'm starting to like Iris more after seeing her character backstory. In the recent episodes, she doesn't seem that much of a jerk anymore. To me, anyway. I don't know. : P

I feel that Cilan is much more interesting than Brock. He isn't just there to cook for his travelling partners or provide information about moves/abilities, but he also brings life to the anime. I remember laughing so hard when he screamed like a girl and ran away like a derp when the floating statue was beside him. xD

He isn't the medic in the trio like Brock though. That job, instead, is given to Iris, something I kinda like about. That way, no one is 'the load' and it gives a balance to the trio: Ash is the one who does gym battles (and the main character), Iris is the medic and to-be Dragon Master, and Cilan is... well, the cook, I guess? :/ Well, idk, think what would happen if Ash and Iris fed on apples and stuff forever.

tl;dr, I like them both, Cilan a bit more.

shadowchick

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011
    Man... I can't believe how many of you have an opinion about this.....

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • Of course. People love the sound of their own voices and the look of their posts. =P

I think I'm starting to like Iris more after seeing her character backstory

Last time I checked, she was from Opelucid City (not some "Dragon Village"), and is close to Drayden. I realise changes must be made for the crappy anime aspirations, but do they have to be so lame? Anyway, I wonder why they omitted that? The only cool thing about the flashback was Drayden. Is all. DUDE, his
    seiyū is Hidan from Naruto~♥ I was so happy. Cool dude, cool seiyū.

...Wait. Maybe Iris flashbacks aren't so boring after all!

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • Cilan's Ok him and Brock Both own a Backpack that seem to contain stuff that are bigger than the bag's interior...

Iris Saying Ash is A Kid is Rather Annoying i mean Ash can be considered a veteran already

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I always found Cilan a bit of a fruitcake really, and Iris is just a tan reincarnation of an even worse Misty. It seems the writers decided to do a remake of the original series, with more annoyance and an addition to other character development.

Back