• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does HGSS Surpass Platinum?

What's the better game?

• Total voters

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    I know there was a massive amount of hype leading up to the release of HGSS. But now that the games have been released for several months, everyone's played them and their novelty has worn off, do you think HGSS actually surpasses Platinum?

I think Platinum is actually a much better game. Sinnoh is much larger than Johto. While HGSS also includes the Kanto region, the region lacks any plot and I found exploring the region and collecting the Kanto badges more of a chore. Platinum's plot is also much more enjoyable to me, and unlike Team Rocket (which was a shadow of its former self), Team Galactic had an actual motive and were much more dangerous; and while Apollo had almost no personality, Cyrus was a very unique character, especially in Platinum. The levels of the trainers increase at a steady pace, and Cynthia caps at level 62, while Champion Lance only caps at level 50 on your first time through the Elite Four in HGSS. Plus, Platinum introduced the Battle Frontier, the Global Terminal, the Battleground, and the Resort House. While most of these additions were implemented in HGSS one way or another, they were no longer new and did not have the same impact as they did in Platinum.

I'd like to hear your input, though. I know many people love HGSS, but after comparing the two I wholehearted found Platinum a much better game.

Last edited:

Marowak10

Skull Wearer
    Years
    I haven't played Platinum, so I don't know. But Hg is pretty awesome, but the Kanto wild pokemon are to weak.

Last edited:

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    i love the plot line and almost everything about platinum!
    but gen two was my fave gen.
    i don't know!

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I think, all things considered, Platinum is a very good game, not just a very good Pokémon game but a very good game in general. You could play Pokémon Platinum having never played a pokémon game before and find it very challenging and enjoyable. It is a very robust and polished game, and to me feels like a professional, quality product.

in HG/SS' case, it was highly anticipated by many players de to the fact that the original games were considered the pinnacle of the series by veteran players, because they introduced so many things to the series that have remained as mechanics to this day. The series as a whole owes much to the original Gold/Silver/Crystal versions. However, as good as they are, i don't think it feels as quality as Platinum did, and I feel this was because it tried to remain faithful to the originals too much, which restricted it from becoming standalone games in their own right.

So in my view? It's a difficult question, but simply for nostalgic value, HG/SS edges it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Platinum is the better game IMO. As much as I like Team Rocket, their appearance in HG/SS (and G/S/C for that matter) was disappointing and I never felt like they offered a genuine threat. I mean, Archer was Lv35-38 with two unevolved Pokemon. Compare with Platinum's Team Galactic where Cyrus came at you with fully evolved Pokemon, up to Lv48, and with some wicked movesets to boot.

It's probably a matter of preference but I did not like HG/SS's new menu navigation system. Moving Pokemon within the boxes was especially tedious and frustrating IMO.

The whole leveling mismatch was still painfully evident in HG/SS. Red continued to be another disappointment. He still hasn't figured out how a Thunderstone works and his team is actually more vulnerable than in G/S/C.

I don't know. I never got into HG/SS as much as I did Platinum, and even today I use Platinum for nearly everything, while I just do the occasional trade with my SS copy.

Years
    Well as the first post said that the Battle Frontier was new then but in HG/SS it just felt the same.
    Plus Team Galactic was a lot tougher than the Team Rocket, and trainers in general were tougher in Platinum than in HG/SS.
    But there were 2 regions in HG/SS compared to one in Platinum, however the wild Pokemon were a lot weaker in HG/SS and its a faff training your Pokemon to battle Red, as you have to call Gym Leaders at certain times etc.
    So, IMO Platinum is a lot better than HG/SS

Totaldile

appeared! Totaldile used RAWR!
    Years
    I think i enjoyed Plaitnum more. I loved playing with my brother in the underground, plus it has all my rares on it. It had great quality for storyline nd a great range of useful pokemon to choose from. I cannot deal with defensive types with no attack whatsoever. They brought in the new Battle Frontier, whilst not as good as Emerald play-wise it was still great fun!The distortion world was genious, and starting with a mixed sweeper was fantastic.

In HG/SS, yeah it was fun, but everybody was weaker. There was no point in catching pokemon if Feraligator and Lugia could sweep them all in 1 or 2 hits. I still havn't caught the legends because(beign a collector of games) I already have them. Unfortunatly, there were way too many legends. All first gen + all second gen. I would really have preferred there being version exclusive legends. Sometimes i wonder if the money i payed for both was really worth it. The pokewalker was pretty fun, but after a week, you can't tell me you didn't forget about it. The post-storyline was nowhere near fufilling, more like little bits rather than encounters. the boisses and gym leaders were a joke. As i said before, why bother catching pokemon when Feraligator and Lugia sweep 'em all. Lance made me laugh. His hacked dragonites got 1hit KO'ed from Ice Fang xD.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Good question, as much as I like HG/SS it wasn't as good as I expected it to be, where as Platinum was BETTER than I expected it to be, Platinum had a great-long story line and had so many more brilliant features, I think i'd go for Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Platinum is soo much better than HGSS.

I like everything about it better.

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    I'm a old school Pokemon player, so for slightly biased reasons, I prefer HGSS.

Last edited:
    Years
    I never played platinum but i've watched my friends play it, and i even liked diamond and pearl better then HG/SS. So i pick platinum. Although i don't think this poll is fair as Platinum was made as a very good NEW game and HG/SS were made to get money from nostalgic fans.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    Although i don't think this poll is fair as Platinum was made as a very good NEW game and HG/SS were made to get money from nostalgic fans.

HGSS were also made to introduce Johto to a new audience. I think the poll is perfectly fair - they're both revamps of older games (Diamond and Pearl; Gold and Silver).

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    I wouldn't say one surpasses the other. 2nd and 4th generations were my favorite for different reasons, and HG/SS and Platinum are no different. I don't own Platinum (only Diamond) but I have watched people play it and it's basically Diamond with more bells and whistles.

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
    Platinum had a much more intresting plot. Sure in HGSS you can visit two rege=ions, but do you really need to? In Platinum you can catch Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Giratina, Palkia, Dialga, Cresselia, Mesprit, Uxie, Azelf, Rotom, and Heatran. And if you participate in events you can recieve Saymin, Manaphy, Arceus, Darkrai, and a few other random ones. I think I'd choose platinum for it's plot, legendaries, and the Sinnoh pokemon (who I prefer over the Johto ones)

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    Platinum was a bit more... challenging, I think.
    However, when I played SS, there was a strange attraction to it, though it may help that I never completed a game of GSC Ever. I don't even own a legit cartridge!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    HG/SS were much better than platimun, except that there wern't enough oppotunietes to ev train your pokemon which was a kmush.

Also, Platimun had a better storyline and setting. (Snowy areas in RPG's are underused.)

But HG/SS intrduced the pokewalker, pokeatalon, taking your pokemon out for a walk and is about 2 times longer than Platimun.

Overall, i would choose HG/SS.

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
    I would have to say Platinum.

Platinum was really enjoyable and it has tons of things to do.

Now, on my HG and SS games, I played for about an hour before I got bored. Seriously. I haven't found any inspiration for playing and I feel that Johto and the games are bland.
    There's nowhere to train and yeah... I dunno... The games dun' really appeal to me... I need to force myself to get farther in the game and when I do get farther, I don't feel accomplished at all. ... I quickly switched back to my Platinum that I am still enjoying. :D But yeah... HG and SS were a huge dissapointment for me... I just don't see what's so great about them... =/

Platinum has a much better plot, better places to train, villa, and such. HG/SS had the appeal of Pokemon following you, which got rather annoying after a while, Team Rocket who didn't really seem like a threat and didn't appear much at all, and low levels. Kanto was nice, but what was the point of going there? To get 8 more badges and whoo-ho! You have 16 badges? ... Now, I have to say that I loved Silver (rival) but that was pretty much it. Yes, it also had nice graphics but you can't judge a game soley on that, and it had decent music (better than most of Platinum's)

The real and only factor in this vote is that HG/SS have that nostalgia factor that Platinum doesn't have. That nostalgia is what makes everyone have a special place in their heart for HG/SS and so they instantly choose it. I played Pokemon Gold and Crystal when I was a child, too, but I don't really have the nostalgic feeling for it. I feel that overall, Platinum is the better game.

Last edited:
    Back