• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does it offend you?

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
    Okay, this is going to be kind of a broad topic. I know I made something like this in Other Triva, about fictional characters, but this one is more about Pokemon.

Do you get offended when people criticize or attack Pokemon/Gens/Etc. that you like? I was snooping looking through threads like The Ugly Pageant and whatnot, and I got the idea for this thread.

Personally, I usually don't get offended, even though I enjoy discussing my opinions about Pokemon I like/dislike. If I say a Pokemon has a bad design, I usually mean that I find its design bad, in my own personal opinion, but their design isn't actually bad in the whole scheme of things... get my drift? Anyways, that's what I think lol. But does it hurt you or do you feel the need to argue when someone insults them? I'm curious. I love hearing other peoples' opinions for some reason.

AQ: What about other things? Like songs? Every time I go to YouTube and listen to The Beatles or something, I see people viciously attacking Justin Bieber and insulting everyone else. It kind of makes me sad. How do you feel about things like that?

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2013
    Okay, this is going to be kind of a broad topic. I know I made something like this in Other Triva, about fictional characters, but this one is more about Pokemon.

Do you get offended when people criticize or attack Pokemon/Gens/Etc. that you like? I was snooping looking through threads like The Ugly Pageant and whatnot, and I got the idea for this thread.

Personally, I usually don't get offended, even though I enjoy discussing my opinions about Pokemon I like/dislike. If I say a Pokemon has a bad design, I usually mean that I find its design bad, in my own personal opinion, but their design isn't actually bad in the whole scheme of things... get my drift? Anyways, that's what I think lol. But does it hurt you or do you feel the need to argue when someone insults them? I'm curious. I love hearing other peoples' opinions for some reason.

AQ: What about other things? Like songs? Every time I go to YouTube and listen to The Beatles or something, I see people viciously attacking Justin Bieber and insulting everyone else. It kind of makes me sad. How do you feel about things like that?

Not really. I'm just used to the "Stating Opinion=Declaration of War" Internet mentality. When it comes to YouTube, I will always ignore it due to the sheer amount of GIFT on that site. But I will often give a justification for my opinion in other sites. It all boils down to not feeding the trolls.

Years
    If it's like "OMG CHARIZARD IS SUCH A BAD POKEMON. BURN IN FIRE, CHARIZARD!" (lol..) anyway, yeah, if it's insulting its stats and whatnot, yes, I need to argue. But if it's just like - "Well, in my opinion, Charizard just isn't my type of Pokemon." Then it's okay.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
    Years
    I try to make it as clear as possible that it's just my opinion.. but unfortunately this doesn't work all the time.
    I usually do not get offended, but sometimes when people act like jerks when they state their opinion, I do feel the need to at least defend my opinion.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    We can't all like the same things, I don't mind if people has different opinion from me. I also have my opinions, that aren't always good, and I don't hesitate to share them, so why would I be upset when people do the same?
    However, if someone who don't play Pokémon attacks and criticize the whole franchise, I can really feel offended. It's a delicate topic. You can not like it, but there's no need to criticize that much a thing you don't even know, just because of prejudice.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Insult my beloved Leaf-chan and I shall come back fully prepared to do battle.

With other things, though, they don't matter as much. I never got into the "generation wars" and the Pokemon themselves are only secondary to the (cute girl) trainers IMO.

But if I get intense over any part of the franchise, it's gonna involve the trainers. Particularly the ones I either really like or I really hate.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    I generally get pissed off whenever I come to this forum, because people seem to complain about everything lol That being said it's rarely because I am completely for something they are against (though sometimes it it) It's more just because of the complaining in general. People just get into the mentality that they have to pick every little thing apart

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Ahem, after that PSA, I'll state my opinion. No, I'm not offended when someone insults a favorite Pokemon of mine. It's their opinion, I don't give a crap about it. I do, however, particularly dislike people saying I'm some creepy, basement-dwelling 22-year old nerd when I say that I prefer the older Pokemon. That certainly gets annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I don't generally get offended when people hate my favorite Pokemon or generation. I know people can have a favorite or least favorite. Though it's when people are just plain stupid that pisses me off.

Years
    So long as a person can articulate a good reason, or at least a reason that isn't complete totally crappy for why they hate something, then I have no problem with it. But the minute things start going off into ****** reasoning, then I get annoyed with it. Or when they state their opinion as a fact.

soulavenger

A Keen Observer
    Years
    Sometimes I do feel the need of defending a particular topic by placing a series of well articulated reasons but generally, I am quite okay with it as people have their own likes and dislikes and have a freedom to express their views...

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I don't get offended per se, and I don't care if people don't like the Pokémon I like, but I get really tired of the whole "Gen. V Pokémon suck, they're unoriginal etc" argument, so I usually have to retort to that.

Years
    It's not offensive to me when I read it. I enjoy all types of Pokemon, their design,the colors and everything. And I like all Generations, and hope there is still more to come. I'm gonna agree with Elgyem here, and I know I'm going off topic and heading into the direction of other people and friends I have here , that I find it rather offensive when people are like "aren't you too old for Pokemon?" now THAT is offensive !

Years
    Usually no, only if someone is really persistent on absolutely hating on something without good reason. But I usually just think 'what an idiot' and move on.

The one thing that makes me cringe is when people try to be smartasses, claiming to be Pokemon-experts, proceed to spout total nonsense and WON'T LET ANYONE CORRECT THEM! I'm particularly thinking of those Gen V kids, who just say that they know better anyway, since I'm too old to know anything about Pokemon. That really annoys me.
    (Like insisting that Rayquaza is a 1st Gen Pokemon! x.x)

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I get upset when people say they hate Trubbish, Garbardor and Stunfisk, since those are on the list of the few Pokemon I actually liked from fifth gen. Also, when people make fun of Dragonite.

Last edited:

soulavenger

A Keen Observer
    Years
    I get upset when people say they hate Trubbish, Garbardor and Stunfisk, since those are on the list of the few Pokemon I actually liked from fifth gen. Also, when people make fun of Dragonite.

Who in their right mind makes fun of a Dragonite????

Last edited:
    Years
    It depends. My friends for instance say this about Sceptile: "Meh, I don't really like him. I think that the tail is kind of awkward and I just prefer Grovyle." I don't care at all, it's what they think and they're just being honest.

When I hear "OMG PIDGEOT SUCKS IT'S STATS ARE BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD" that really annoys me, because I usually use Pidgeot in-game anyway... It's just rude when they go about it like that. Even if they said "It's stats are bad for the tiers I play in, so I don't really use it" I would be okay with it. It's all a matter of the way they're saying, as I don't mind if someone has a different opinion than me. x)

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Who in their right mind makes fun of a Dragonite????
    Oddly enough, many people. They said he looked like Barney and he should ether look like Dragonair or Salamence :pink_pissed:
    I told them he doesn't have to look like any Pokemon other then Dragonite but even so, haters are still gonna hate.

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
    The thing I hate are those idiots that know pokemon and other things from something like one video clip or a review on one episode or whatever and rate the whole thing as racist or sexist or someother crud. The go and spout nonsense and then get other people who don't know it on their side and think their right and won't listen to anyone that does know what their talking about. Those same people will then go and claim that adult fans are 20-year old creapers that skulk in their parents basment. That makes me mad. You can say whatever you want about pokemon so long as you actually know what your talking about.

Back