• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't Judge a Book By its Cover, but...

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    Don't Judge a Book By its Cover, but...

...Video Game box arts.

Now, do any of the video game box arts appeal to you? If so, which ones have appealed to you the most? Do you consider the box art on a video game as a way to see how incredible or awesome a video game might be before you play it? What do you think of video game box arts in general?

You're free to share stories. ^^

Years
    Super Mario Galaxy, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyward Sword and Borderlands 2. I love cases that have nice designs, they appeal to me a lot. Super Mario Galaxy is such a beautiful case, the text, the design, all so pretty! Borderlands 2 is another game which doesn't lack in either of those departments, the case was very well made. Deus Ex, just because it looks epic. The colors work really well and the amount of detail that has been put into it is amazing if you look fairly closely at the case. Skyward Sword, though, is astonishing. I adore the case so much, it just looks so good and everything is right with it, cannot complain one bit about it imo.

In general, I love seeing good box art. I put the best cases on display resting against my pile of games because they make it look nicer. When I buy a game, box art can sometimes help with the decision on whether to buy a game or not, it's important to me :3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I like simple ones like TES 3–5 and the special edition of Dreamfall have. They're like old books, giving the impression of something great and venerable inside. A lot of cover art has too many promotional elements or looks like a film poster (with all the characters arrayed, like the image in the OP) which honestly appeals much less, perhaps because I know it's meant to appeal more. ... I know I had more to say, but have forgotten what.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I normally buy a lot of digital games now rather than physical as its just easier for me as I don't have much space. But if I really like the box art I will buy the disc copy just because I love the art work. Especially on collectors editions. Love the art books with them.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
    Years
    I always appriciate the box art of games. It usualy sets the tone of the game for me. (what to expect) And sometimes I have bought a game just because of the box art.

Some of my favourites.
    Metal gear solid 2-3. I liked these two the most out of the series.
    Shadow of the colossus. Says everything about the game.
    Odin Sphere. It "just" looks amazing.
    Ghost Trick. The cover tells the byer all that he/she need to know about the game.
    Deus EX (the first) It looks like something out of terminator/swarzenegger movie...nuf said.

PixelWarrior

Conqueror of Castles
    Years
    Box art are always an added bonus to a good game, and I enjoy them, but they're obviously incapable of saving a bad game from its mediocrity. However, it probably does help when there are people who aren't as informed on video game quality and see the appealing art, and then purchase it just for that reason.

It's still really nice to have good box art, though. I love it when they intrigue me enough to learn more about the game if I didn't previously know about it.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
    Years
    I really enjoy some box art designs, so I would be pretty sad if they were done away with. A personal favorite of mine is the box art for Mass Effect 3, it really sets the mood for the game. (Plus, I think it's pretty cool that you can turn it around to display FemShep.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
    Without a doubt my favorite box art is Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. It's so simple, yet it's designed so well. Gold-on-white is really appealing to me for some reason. Box art is the absolute first impression of a game for me, so it's pretty important. If the front cover is so bad that even the info on the back cover can't save it, then I hesitate to buy it. Then again, good box art for a bad game is really angering. I like RAGE's box art but holy crap do I hate the actual game.

TY

I do enjoy box art sometimes, but mostly they just end up in a box collecting dust untill i get them out it to play the game itself.

Though i like the covers of Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3.

Back