• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Double Typing?

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years

• Kerudio can cross water though by ejecting water from it's hooves, appears at beautiful watersides, and runs through the oceans and rivers ;)

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kerudio_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29

So I think water suits it quite well :) Plus it's body is blue too.

I like Keldeo's type too :3

I like Jellicent; it's typing is awesome! But it's female form kind of scares me o_o;

Double Typing?

Double Typing?

Scorpio219

PM me for custom banners
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2013
    how in the hell is the gen 5 electric eel line not water type, i can see how the last evo is electric dark but the first two are messed up, how do they levitate, really

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Tepig is a pig. I think they should've completely redesigned it's evolutions, to suit a Fire/Ground type.
    I mean seriously, Pig screams ground type.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    Emboar's and Pignite's typing fits them fine. It's just that we already have 2 other fire/fighting starter evolutions. Blaziken and Infernape were awesome, we don't need to add to that. The Ghost/Fire and the Water/Ghost are pretty epic, though Golurk surprised me. Ground? Where'd that come from?

Keldeo - water is fine, I guess. But adding a fighting type makes it look like it was created just to be the "one off" of the Coballon, Terrakion, and Virizion trio.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Emboar's and Pignite's typing fits them fine. It's just that we already have 2 other fire/fighting starter evolutions. Blaziken and Infernape were awesome, we don't need to add to that. The Ghost/Fire and the Water/Ghost are pretty epic, though Golurk surprised me. Ground? Where'd that come from?

Keldeo - water is fine, I guess. But adding a fighting type makes it look like it was created just to be the "one off" of the Coballon, Terrakion, and Virizion trio.
    All four though are Fighting types...

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I agree that the starter types should have been changed. They were the only real disappointment of Gen V for me.

Personally, I think Tepig's line should have ended up Fire/Dark. Heck, Emboar looks like Ganon, it's a perfect fit. Or it should have gone Fire->Fire/Fighting->Fire/Dark. Like a fighter corrupted by dark powers or something.

Oshawott should have been Water/Fighting. Not pure Water. The fact that Keldeo actually is Water/Fighting only makes this more egregious.

As for the Snivy line... either Grass/Dragon, which could be balanced for reason already mentioned, or Grass/Poison.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    how in the hell is the gen 5 electric eel line not water type, i can see how the last evo is electric dark but the first two are messed up, how do they levitate, really

I agree tbh. I think a lot of Pokemon this generation deserved to have three typings, rather than two (yes, defying tradition). But yeah as you say, the eels really look like water types. :x

Oh yeah, Dwebble/Crustle. Don't really see how bug fits in with them, they'd honestly be better off with water.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
  • Discuss your thoughts about the double typing!

I think that Chaoboo and Emboar shouldn't be fire/fighting. I think they should be plain Fire.

Dewott and Samurott should be Water/fighting (seriously, Samurott is Samurai + Otter. No fighting type?)

Servine and Serperior should be maybe Grass/dragon?

Also i think Deerling and Sawsbuck should change types according to season:
    Summer - Fire
    Autumn: Grass
    Winter: Ice
    Spring: Normal

What do you think?

Emboar is wearing a wrestling belt. He should be fighting.

Serperior is just a snake. Nothing more. He should stay pure Grass.

Sawsbuck shouldn't change types. It would mess with his moveset, and he doesnt get any fire or ice moves regardless.

Emboar's and Pignite's typing fits them fine. It's just that we already have 2 other fire/fighting starter evolutions. Blaziken and Infernape were awesome, we don't need to add to that. The Ghost/Fire and the Water/Ghost are pretty epic, though Golurk surprised me. Ground? Where'd that come from?

There is a 4th muskateer, he just doesnt appear often.

Last edited:

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • The whole "fire/fighting starter" thing is likely just another reference to the Hoenn and Sinnoh games. Gen V is full of these kinds of references.

Personally, I like Fire/Fighting better as a typing than Fire/Flying like Charizard, probably because Fire/Flying has that 4x weakness to Rock. Offensively, Fire/Fighting is a good combination, being resisted by basically nothing early in the game. Emboar can also learn Rock Slide via TM, and no Pokémon resists all three types.

Years
  • Pokemon Black new type combinations

Anyone excited about the new type combinations that black/white have? like: ground/dark, water/rock, rock/flying, and bug/steel. I think battling will be taken up a level with new type combos and the triple battles.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    The typing combinations are being discussed in the double typing thread, so meergeed.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    I agree that the Tepig line should have been ground BUT Pignite just screams WRESTLER! I like that Samurott is a pure type but being part steel would have been cool too. Cofargius should be part rock since it's made of sand (presumably). i think the Musketeers being part Fighting is stupid. Simisage looks like it could have been part Fighting too.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm glad that they changed the double typing of Heat forme Rotom from Ghost/Electric to Fire/Electric as I like the idea of that typing seeing as it's strong against both Grass and Water along with other typing it's strong against namely Steel,ice,flying...

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I personally think Emboar should be Fire/Dark, he just really looks like a Dark type, plus I am sick of Fire/Fighting starters.

And Serperior really should have been Grass/Dragon, it looks much more like a Dragon than a Snake IMO.

Years
  • Ground/Ghost works well. It's supposed to be some kind of golem or other ancient mystical machine thing brought to life. Ground suits that idea better then Steel or whatever else because ancient people would have used clay and stuff like that.

I don't think there are any in Gen V where I'd want to change the types because I thought they didn't fit the design. I like that there are a lot of single types, over half of them (82 single types and 74 double, and 13 of those doubles are legendaries). I don't think a lot of them need a second if their main type suits them well enough, even if they might have aspects that imply other types. Those can be covered by moves.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • I like Keldeo's type too :3

I like Jellicent; it's typing is awesome! But it's female form kind of scares me o_o;

Double Typing?

Double Typing?
    That's the point! It's part Ghost. :D

Erm, I face palmed when I learned that Emboar was Fire/Fighting.

It's really cool if Serperior is Grass/Dragon, but it would be over-powered. If Samurott and Emboar stayed the same typing, Serperior would seriously dominate. I think they think of the starter's type based on how it would affect the other two. Like Torterra can beat Infernape, and Infernape can beat Empoleon.

Sawsbuck can stay it's typing. I hate it when a Pokemon's type changes accordingly. I like it when Rotom was just Ghost/Electric.

Back