• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dry July

Years
  • My husband and I are going to take part in this challenge. Personally I think I'm going to have an easier time of it than him but it should be interesting. I'm going to miss the taste of wine.

For those who don't know, Dry July is a challenge to abstain from drinking alcohol for a month to raise awareness of adults living with cancer.

Is anyone else planning to take part? If so, do you think you'll find it difficult or easy?
    If not taking part, hypothetically how do you think you'd do?

Years
  • oh heck no, i wouldn't give up my alcohol. D:

I'm not seeing how it raises awareness for cancer though, since most people drink at home, so it's not really out in public like "hey i usually drink but i'm not drinking for a month. CANCER!"

Sirfetch’d

Never actually heard of this but like some of the others, I don't drink so passing this challenge is gonna be easy! Good luck though to you and your husband with it!

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I never drink so it would be a easy challenge to do. XD But I'd donate to a cancer charity just to donate (if I had the money to do so).

Also going off kind of what Luck Hax said. If you're doing this to raise awareness for cancer, then you should actually donate money to a charity cause just saying 'I'm giving up alcohol to raise awareness for cancer.' and not giving anything really does nothing.

That's the thing about these type of things like NoShaveNovember/Movember is thousands of people do them just because they look fun and everyone they know is doing it and they never give any money to the cause at all.

Years
  • Well the idea is that you sign up to it and have friends and family donate for you to not drink any alcohol (i.e. they sponsor your sobriety).

It's the same premise as Movember where people donate to prostate cancer charities to watch their friends spend a month growing out their facial hair.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • As far as the Northern Hemisphere, it's silly to have this mid-summer when alcohol is more part of culture than any other time of the year. I mean, I know Dry rhymes with July, but it seems to be a very large price to pay for some semi-satisfying word play.

As far as me down here in the Southern Hemisphere, I really hope everybody decides to take it to heart this year because I work in a liquor store and I'm really quite tired of serving customers.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Oh.

Well.

I just drank my last beer. As someone who drank too much this month, consider me a participant.

Back