• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dungeons & Dragons

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    I know this isn't a videogame, but hey I'm oldschool. Sue me. You can run games on your computer if that counts.. :P

Do we have any D&D fans on PC? Or any pen and paper adventuring game really. What do you like/dislike about them?

Adventurers out there, feel free to share your tales! And if you've never played, is there a specific reason? Would you like to give it a try someday?

Inb4 Graine you're a big nerd, gtfo with your nerd stuff

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Graine you're a big nerd

I am a fan of the concept (because it's cool), but I've never done classic D&D myself. I am doing a FATE campaign online, however, and so far it's fun to do. It's the kind of roleplay that's actually effective due to the presence of a DM/GM and due to there being a clearer objective, as opposed to forum roleplays that always die out for some reason...

(This is definitely me advertising myself for a FATE/D&D campaign)

Last edited:

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • I'm currently taking part in a D&D 5e campaign with my friends from uni. We're currently at level 2, and I'm a Necromancy wizard, which is fun. Even though I haven't got to use my life steal yet because our DM gave us creatures that were immune to both necrotic and poison damage to fight. >:(
    seriously, that was like 2/3 of the damaging spells I had prepared, and they resisted the third spell too :(

I've only ever played 5e when it comes to D&D, although I've played one-shots or shorter campaigns in other systems like Dungeon/Apocalypse World. I only started playing D&D a year ago, when I first joined my uni's Games and Roleplaying Society. Our group was in a long-running campaign with a different DM last year, but he had to leave at the end of that academic year, so now one of our group took over as DM and we have a new campaign (hence only being level 2.)

if you're running a PC D&D campaign I'll probably join if I don't get too much uni work

Years
    • Seen today
    I had the chance to play, I watched for a bit, but felt like it wasn't for me so I passed.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
    Years
  • The bookstore started running D&D tutorial nights, and I had wanted to play for a while, so I jumped right in. I got so invested, I bought three of the super expensive player's books. However, the lady running the program went to a tabletop gaming shop, and it wasn't the same there. None of the regulars showed up, the space was a lot louder and smaller, and the campaign was a bit too nonsensical for me. I should try again, considering the money I spent on the books, but yeah.

I'm also doing table top gaming night with some friends from college. We were doing Dungeon World (think D&D lite), but our GM burned out from that (we'd done an entire campaign previously, and the current arc was dragging on because we'd suffered long breaks). So, we're going to be sampling all sorts of different table top games until we find a good fit for us. I think Shadowrun is this week's flavour.

I usually play a good-aligned female character, though class and race do change depending on the campaign and on what the others have chosen. In the last D&D game, I had a cleric who spent more time pwning enemies with her staff (and later, hammer) then actually healing. 18 strength was great, haha.

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years

• I usually play a good-aligned female character, though class and race do change depending on the campaign and on what the others have chosen. In the last D&D game, I had a cleric who spent more time pwning enemies with her staff (and later, hammer) then actually healing. 18 strength was great, haha.

That reminds me of the Dragonborn Fighter I played in a two-shot last year. He had 18 strength too, challenged the party's Goliath Wizard to an arm wrestle, the Wizard Enlarged himself and he still won.

I miss Donaar. In that universe, he's a zombie serving under a lich now. He now hates himself because of how weak his new body is. :'(
    He's the only character I've ever felt comfortable roleplaying as too. Basically, I'm awful at talking as a character, and prefer to say "My character says [xyz stuff]" instead. Might play more Kenku characters in the future haha :')

I would've brought him back in the new campaign, but it just doesn't feel right starting him at level 1, since he's a veteran who was famed in his home country for his strength and ability on the battlefield. He wanted to stay in the army, but his superiors told him he was too old, so he left his home country and became an adventurer. He's scared of losing his strength as he ages, and wants to die a warrior's death rather than of old age.

That's it, if my current character dies after reaching level 3, I'm bringing Donaar back. I miss him too much haha

Years
  • I've played some of the video games, but never make much progress in them because I can never settle on a character. Someday I'll play more than the first two minutes of Baldur's Gate...

As for the game itself, I played through two 3.5e campaigns a few years ago, but haven't really had the chance to play again until recently when I started playing in a 5e campaign with some friends. In the meantime I came up with more campaign ideas than I'll probably ever get to actually do anything with. I'm currently playing a monk, and I'm enjoying being able to say increasingly ridiculous things like "I punch the wolf/ghost/weird ball of light" and have said punch be effective. I can't wait until we fight a dragon; it'll almost certainly lead to a TPK, but everything that leads to that point will be hilarious.

Graine

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    (This is definitely me advertising myself for a FATE/D&D campaign)[/SIZE]
    FATE is super cool. I haven't had the chance to dive into it, but it's something I definitely wanna do eventually. If you like FATE, you'll more than likely enjoy D&D :)

I'm currently taking part in a D&D 5e campaign
    Necros are super strong. My next character will probably be a necro since it's one of the only classes I've never played. Everyone wants to play necro and I usually let people pick their class and end up filling up with what's needed lol :(

That's actually very interesting! I'll try to find more info on that.

l I think Shadowrun is this week's flavour.
    Shadowrun is more complex than D&D 5e for sure, but it's fairly easy to get the hang of it. It uses a lot of modifiers like previous editions of D&D instead of the advantage/disadvantage system 5e uses. Also, unlike D&D, Shadowrun isn't class based. Every encounter has a REALLY high chance of being lethal in a couple turns, so try to avoid charging and fighting if you can... That way, you'll survive long enough to enjoy the game..! ;) Makes me wanna run a new campaign lol...

Oh and Strength Clerics are the best Clerics. They're so fun to play!

two 3.5e campaigns a few years ago
    How do you like 5e compared to 3.5? I find 5e a lot more enjoyable now that we don't have to add all those modifiers to our rolls anymore. I'm a huge fan of 3.5, but I think 5e is the best edition so far.

Years
  • How do you like 5e compared to 3.5? I find 5e a lot more enjoyable now that we don't have to add all those modifiers to our rolls anymore. I'm a huge fan of 3.5, but I think 5e is the best edition so far.

Yeah, 5e is definitely better. It's less clunky and flows much better than 3.5. I played a fighter in 3.5 and it got to a point where I was basically having to do algebra every time I attacked, but thankfully it doesn't seem like that will be an issue in 5E. At the same time, I really miss skill ranks- it felt like we had more customization options with them and I liked having characters' strengths and weaknesses reflected through stats. But I guess that's the sacrifice for fewer headaches while playing.

Honestly, if Wizards ever gets off their Forgotten Realms high horse (*insert laugh track*) and releases official Eberron material for 5E I'll probably never look back at 3.5, although after what they did with the Artificer I'm not sure I really want that to happen.

Graine

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    At the same time, I really miss skill ranks- it felt like we had more customization options with them and I liked having characters' strengths and weaknesses reflected through stats. But I guess that's the sacrifice for fewer headaches while playing.
    Definitely. I also really miss the customization from 3.5. They tried to replicate the same feel of customization with the Feats in 5e, but they don't have the same flavour that skill ranks had... As you said, it's a sacrifice that had to be made in order to benefit the ease of playing.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I've played several campaigns over the past 15 years, mainly 3.5. I usually play Half-Orc characters, since it is my favorite race, and really enjoy playing clerics and sorcerers. So many interesting things have happened over the years...I absolutely love DnD.

Graine

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    I got something pretty cool in the mail :)
    Spoiler:

I can't wait to start DMing this campaign. Read the first chapter and it's really promising!

I'm thinking about maybe running it for PC someday if we have enough people interested in it. Maybe.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Graine is my DM for one of our games and this is our greatest story:
    Our party was made of a Halfling Bard, a Gnome Rogue, a Barbarian Dwarf, a Paladin Dwarf, and a Half-elf Monk. (Yes, we were a very short group lmao)

There's a huge castle we need to enter to kill the evil dictator ruling the city. There's 2 guards protecting the main door, and 1 archer in each of the 2 watchtowers surrounding the castle. We decide we need to kill the archer and lure the guards away from the door.

We just killed a group of guard so our Monk decides to dress like a guard. (since he's the only human sized person in the party). He goes up to the guards in panic saying his group was attacked and he needs backup. He rolls a high persuasion check and one of the guard says "That's my brother's group! Take my place, I'll go save him!". So he runs off into our Paladin & Barbarian ambush, while our Monk takes the place beside the other guard.

Meanwhile the Bard and the Rogue sneaked around to try to ambush one of the archer. They decided to tie a rope on an arrow and launch it at the top of a watchtower to climb it. Rogue rolls 1. Arrow ends up straight in the Monk's shoulder and he manages not to scream. Then he looks and he sees the rope attached to the arrow leading where the Rogue and Bard went... *Screaming internally*

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • Last time our group played, we were fighting a spectre (with aforementioned poison and necrotic immunities). It managed to severely hurt our Lizardfolk Warlock - by the end of the fight, he had 1hp and a temporary max of 3. Our Cleric doesn't have Lesser Restoration yet - it's a 2nd level spell and we're only level 2 so I'm guessing he just doesn't have the spell slots for it yet. So instead of being cautious or drinking a health potion, the Warlock decides to lick the spectral goo (at least I think it was spectral goo, might have been something else but it was definitely something you shouldn't lick).

After the Warlock failed the save, the DM picks up a D4 for damage. Rolls 4.
    Our Warlock should have died that day, but our DM allowed him to live. Would've been a funny way to go though.

In the same session, our DM allowed our Dwarf Fighter to drink an entire bottle of whiskey without getting too drunk because he passed the Con save. Our DM doesn't drink so he doesn't know how whiskey works xD

Our group keeps missing sessions because of people being ill/busy, which is sad :(. There's 4 of us - my Human Necro Wizard, the Dwarf Fighter, the Lizardfolk Warlock and the Human Cleric. Next time we play we have to go kill this guy to fulfil a deal that our Warlock made with his patron to get his hp back, and the guy also has the other half of an artefact linked to necromancy, which I want.

Back