• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Early Game Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    I think they should put the Shiny Stone around the 6th/7th Gym, like in D/P/Pt. That way people will want to play as Togepi to get Togekiss, plus it means we aren't getting a really good unit in the early game.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I think Slowpoke was allowed to be caught. That one slips my mind at the moment.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    If Slowpoke can be continued to be caught in the Slowpoke Well, then I might actually consider catching one and using it as my water base type.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Getting a Slowking would be nice in HeartGold or SoulSilver.

Years
    Lol Looks like we're all going to use Slowpoke as our main water type. ^_^

Other Water types I'm considering besides Slowpoke: Staryu, Corsola, Mantine, Seel, Tododile, Chinchou, Politoed/Poliwrath?... Slowpoke is actually a smart idea, you have both Psychic and Water moves...maybe you could teach it an Ice, Dark or Ghost move as well? Like Shadow Ball for instance. You could actually teach Slowpoke Flamethrower and Earthquake via TM! (Just looked at Serebii.)

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Earthquake would be useless on a Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking.

Feraligatr will probably be my main water type.

I can't recall any other early game pokemon besides sentret, hoot-hoot and whatever bug types.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I will end up fishing or surfing for a Staryu and then acquire a water stone so I will be able to evolve it into Starmie and use that as my water pokemon.

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
    Adding to the Gym Leader and Elite Four Rosters, I think GSC really lacked good early game Pokemon. Before Violet City, you only had your starter to rely on and a bunch of mediocre or bad Pokemon like Sentret, Ledyba, Spinarak, and Hoothoot. Although you could have gone through most of the game with them and their evolutions, I am hoping this is not the case for HG/SS with the possibility of a more difficult game.

The only "decent" and easily catchable Pokemon in Gold and Silver before Goldenrod city are Mareep, Wooper, Hoppip, and Poliwag (to Politoed). Hopefully, HG/SS adds more useful Pokemon such as Phanpy (added in Crystal), Teddiursa, or Aipom earlier in the game. :]]]

**Note that I did not mention any first generation Pokemon since I want HG/SS to focus mostly on the second generation. (Not that there were many good 1st gen Pokemon available either! ^__^;; ).

But doesn't that make the game a whole lot less challenging?

Kristy Haruka

Johto Fangirl!~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2009
    Yeah I made a mistake. >_<; Early game Pokemon are cool!

And my main water type will either be Poliwag (Politoed at the end) or Corsola (my main water type in Silver). :)

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    If I don't get Slowpoke in time, I might wait until Corsola is aquirable and catch that instead. I used one in Pokémon Ruby and it was an excellent member on my team. Though, for a change, I might still consider Slowpoke, just for a Psychic combination.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    A lot of people miss the point to these types of pokemon. It is to challenge you as a trainer to use what you have, and sure they may not be strong but they become strong and their evolutions are for the most part as well. I have mentioned before

Pidgey--->Pidgeotto--->Pidgeot which turns out to be one of the best flying types
    Caterpie--->Metapod--->Butterfree a strong bug type who is looked down upon but its powders and physic attacks are pretty powerful
    Hoothoot--->Noctowl A flying/normal type pokemon who also has the ability to learn physic moves. Noctowl is pretty awesome
    Ratata--->Raticate Not a big fan of, but Raticate's hyper fang is pretty good. It does have some fast moves as well
    Geodude-->Graveler-->Golem (via trade) A pokemon with good defense to physical attacks and can bash some powerful ones back as well

There are still many people who may not like or use these pokemon but they are very useful I think. I do tend to have Butterfree and Pidgeot in my party as starters for me. So I say keep them the same!

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    A lot of people miss the point to these types of pokemon. It is to challenge you as a trainer to use what you have, and sure they may not be strong but they become strong and their evolutions are for the most part as well. I have mentioned before

Pidgey--->Pidgeotto--->Pidgeot which turns out to be one of the best flying types
    Caterpie--->Metapod--->Butterfree a strong bug type who is looked down upon but its powders and physic attacks are pretty powerful
    Hoothoot--->Noctowl A flying/normal type pokemon who also has the ability to learn physic moves. Noctowl is pretty awesome
    Ratata--->Raticate Not a big fan of, but Raticate's hyper fang is pretty good. It does have some fast moves as well
    Geodude-->Graveler-->Golem (via trade) A pokemon with good defense to physical attacks and can bash some powerful ones back as well

There are still many people who may not like or use these pokemon but they are very useful I think. I do tend to have Butterfree and Pidgeot in my party as starters for me. So I say keep them the same!

Everything you said is exactly right. A lot of Pokémon are looked down upon because of their stats. Though, any Pokémon and any team can work out perfectly fine when it comes to in-game battles.

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
    Years
    Of course any Pokemon is fine for normal in game battles, because they aren't really tough or anything. This defiantly true in GS since a lot of people say the beat all of Johto with just a Typhlosion. If one deeps into the competitive pool, most of those named Pokemon are bleh...

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Competitive battling is way different from an in-game type battle, that is for sure.

Oh yeah, I remeber I'm going to have to wait all the way until the Bug Catching Contest to catch my Scyther...Too bad that didn't come any earlier.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Unown can only learn Hidden Power and they won't be able to be caught until a little farther down the story of the game too.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    well that's stupid
    Were there any early game psy.pokemon

If you count Noctowl as being able to learn Psychic moves and then Ghost types for partial Psychic abilities then yeah you can say so. Though, for real Psychic types like Abra and others, they were catchable a little later on, not too far though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back