• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Earth Hour?

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I doubt my family will do it as I'll will probably be playing on my computer with my father watching television.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Haha, I dunno if my roommates will be up for it but I'll try to keep the lights off in my bedroom though it's not much. 8| Last year I actually shut off all electronics, etc. but I don't think I have anything to do otherwise now so... just lights will have to do. XD;

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Haha, I dunno if my roommates will be up for it but I'll try to keep the lights off in my bedroom though it's not much. 8| Last year I actually shut off all electronics, etc. but I don't think I have anything to do otherwise now so... just lights will have to do. XD;
    What was your roomates' reaction when you turned off all electronics?

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    Never even heard of this...
    And I don't see much of the point, either. My family tries to keep our lights off anyways, so...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh, right... My friends reminded me about this earlier today. I was going to do it, but my dad is totally anti xD He says "sure, they turn off their lamps for an hour, but then they go and book a trip to Thailand instead!" So if I turn the lights off, he'll probably chase me around the house and turn them on again.

Half an hour left now until it begins here... I wonder if I can see the light down in the village go out :3 It would be cool.

-skips away to turn off all the lights without pappa noticing-

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I didn't do it personally, I had too much work to complete last night and no lights wouldn't have helped but my family did.
    The idea is nice and all but I don't think it'll really be that effective. If we really want to save electricity, then the large company buildings should REALLY start turning off their lights after work. We don't need anymore empty buildings full of lights.

King!

better
    Years
    I'm doing it right now, but the on ly things on are the TV and the laptop that isn't plugged in.......

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I doubt that's how it works, but either way you're missing the point. It's symbolic.
    That is how power plants work, according to the science classes of my secondary school — exact output for exact demand; otherwise something somewhere overloads or everyone's lights go dim within a fifty mile radius.
    I take things literally; but at least now one post in this thread deals with the functional side of Earth Hour.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    IMO they should've thought of this 10 years ago when global warming was still a myth. I don't get it, in the 90's my family was laughed at for "caring about the environment". Now that people are realizing we were right... they suddenly care? =/

I use low energy light bulbs, so won't be participating per se. Though, I won't be using TV, computer light, etc during the hour.

Ruphire

Feel the icy burn
    Years
    I don't think you'd be helping Global Warming.
    Sometimes people just don't want to turn their lights off. Like me. :D
    Besides I would be mad if they made me turn off the computer.
    I love my computer, that's why I stare at it all day.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Bah, I forgot about it...

Oh well, I'll just postpone it till I go to bed XD

EDIT: It does remind me of a song:

Baby when the lights go out...

Okay, I'll shut up now...

Last edited:

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
    I didn't know about it till after it started anyways. =/ Kinda don't see the point it it anyways. And the lights are off when I sleep anyways, so I don't see the point in it. :| So yeah, didn't do it tonight, never have, and probably never will since I won't remember.

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
    wasting electricity is ok because we turn off the lights for an hour a year hur hur.

IMO Earth Hour (wait, wasn't it Earth DAY before? Yeah. We're getting sooo .. i dunno, that we changed it from 24 hours to one hour. gg world.) hurts the economy more than it helps the earth.

Back