• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Eating pokemon??

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    i really wonder this. do people in pokeverse eat pokemon? they must do. probably animals don't exist there. and all the people can't be vegaterians. there, someone eating grilled magikarp, tauros beefs, pidgey eggs etc. i really would like to taste squirtle soup, yes. they would eat scyther in china, maybe.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I've seen a thread like this on Bulbagarden if I remember correctly. It was pretty entertaining and has a Food Dex as well.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    People (Ash) have been seen eating Magikarp in the anime. It was also mentioned that people eat Farfetch'd. I don't know where people in the Pokemon world get their meat, but I think they use Tauros and Miltank for that.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    It depends on the incarnation.

See, in the games (specifically 4th gen in the canclave library), it's pretty bluntly implied that people eat pokemon.

In the anime, you see normal animals at times, so... <___>

In the manga, I don't remember it being acknowledged at all.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I think in one episode of the anime there was mention of eating a hamburger but they didn't explicitly state where the hamburger came from. Likely Tauros.

Anyway from what I've seen in the anime (which is very little) I've only seen them eating things like berries, fruit, chocolate, et cetera. In the games they just pretty much say "food" and leave it at that. As in "wow, I've eaten so much food today! I'm stuffed! *munch munch*" rather than saying what they've been eating.
    That's to say I think eating Pokémon at least exists, but I have no idea if it's at all common in the Pokéworld, but humans can survive perfectly well without meat so it wouldn't surprise me either way.
    It makes you wonder if Pokémon eat each other? I've always kind of assumed that living beings in general in the Pokémon World don't need to eat as much, so maybe they all just subsist on berries.

There's a thread about this on another forum I go to. It's pretty lulzy thinking about what Pokémon you would eat.
    Imagine having a nice Vanilluxe. <3333

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think in one episode of the anime there was mention of eating a hamburger but they didn't explicitly state where the hamburger came from. Likely Tauros.

Anyway from what I've seen in the anime (which is very little) I've only seen them eating things like berries, fruit, chocolate, et cetera. In the games they just pretty much say "food" and leave it at that. As in "wow, I've eaten so much food today! I'm stuffed! *munch munch*" rather than saying what they've been eating.
    That's to say I think eating Pokémon at least exists, but I have no idea if it's at all common in the Pokéworld, but humans can survive perfectly well without meat so it wouldn't surprise me either way.
    It makes you wonder if Pokémon eat each other? I've always kind of assumed that living beings in general in the Pokémon World don't need to eat as much, so maybe they all just subsist on berries.

There's a thread about this on another forum I go to. It's pretty lulzy thinking about what Pokémon you would eat.
    Imagine having a nice Vanilluxe. <3333

In one of the first episodes of the anime, Ash sends his newly-caught Caterpie out against a...Pidgeotto I think, and the Pidgeotto tried to eat the Caterpie, lol. It's also mentioned that Exeggcute is its prey, so I'm assuming it eats that too? I'm guessing most Pokemon are like animals - some eat meat and some don't, and the ones that do will hunt other Pokemon. xD

Also, if you talk to people about Casteliacones, one of them mentions that once a Casteliacone got up and ran away...so go try some of those if you want to try a Vanilluxe :P

I can imagine Pokemon like Chansey being so rare because they're eaten, tbh. Think about it - they're not battlers so their meat wouldn't be tough like other Pokemon, they certainly have a lot of it, and they wouldn't be hard to capture. They're probably endangered because of poachers eating them. :x

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years

In one of the first episodes of the anime, Ash sends his newly-caught Caterpie out against a...Pidgeotto I think, and the Pidgeotto tried to eat the Caterpie, lol. It's also mentioned that Exeggcute is its prey, so I'm assuming it eats that too? I'm guessing most Pokemon are like animals - some eat meat and some don't, and the ones that do will hunt other Pokemon. xD

Here are some of Ekans's Pokédex entries:
    Moves silently and stealthily. Eats the eggs of birds, such as Pidgey and Spearow, whole.

Slithers silently through grass, searching for its favorite food--Pidgey and Spearow eggs.

It can freely detach its jaw to swallow large prey whole. It can become too heavy to move, however.

Moving silently and stealthily, it eats the eggs of birds, such as Pidgey and Spearow, whole.

It sneaks through grass without making a sound and strikes unsuspecting prey from behind.

It sneaks through grass without making a sound and strikes unsuspecting prey from behind.

Yeah . . .

I can imagine Pokemon like Chansey being so rare because they're eaten, tbh. Think about it - they're not battlers so their meat wouldn't be tough like other Pokemon, they certainly have a lot of it, and they wouldn't be hard to capture. They're probably endangered because of poachers eating them. :x
    ;___; OMG YOU'RE RIGHT THAT'S SCARY

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I wonder what a Chansey tastes like... They said the egg is delicious, not the Pokemon themselves though, in the pokedex entry xD

I'm sure there have been a few episodes where they ate food that they said was a Pokemon. Like fried Pidgey legs or something. I really want to know what the people in the games are eating, like when you go on the SS Anne, they're cooking but you don't see any food.

legendarypokemon

He has multiple Personalities
    Years
    Cumbusken legs, tauros steaks, Roast Ducklett, Torchic eggs, fried whiscash, mmmmmmmmmm! Making my mouth water, look at that, i just found a ducklett! XD

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Question about eating Pokemon - how do you think eggs would work? Would they eat all types of Pokemon eggs, since they never grew up thinking that only chicken-like things should have their eggs eaten? Or would only chicken-like things have unfertilized eggs?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Blissey/Chansey aren't chicken-like and apparently it's fine to eat their eggs. I'm sure they'd eat all kinds, kind of like the motto "Eat or be eaten." Except that the eggs lose either way.

The eggs it lays are filled with happiness. Eating even one bite will bring a smile to anyone.

Then again, I'm still wondering where eggs come from in the first place. Can you imagine eating a Tauros egg? Or even how a Tauros laid an egg?

It could just be that each egg has a certain taste to it, since it kind of depends on species. I don't think you would want to eat a Beldum egg.

Yanma

Yanma
    Years
    Blissey/Chansey aren't chicken-like and apparently it's fine to eat their eggs. I'm sure they'd eat all kinds, kind of like the motto "Eat or be eaten." Except that the eggs lose either way.

Then again, I'm still wondering where eggs come from in the first place. Can you imagine eating a Tauros egg? Or even how a Tauros laid an egg?

It could just be that each egg has a certain taste to it, since it kind of depends on species. I don't think you would want to eat a Beldum egg.

Also no ones likes to eat a Trubbish egg. He's an amount of garbage!

I saw somewhere that Mightchyenas eats other Pokémon, like Paras or small insects.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2012
    I really hope they dont eat pokemon because pokemon are supposed to be human's best friends. and i too have seen real animals in the anime at times

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
    Just to get some things cleard up -

Several pokemon eat each other (bird types often eat bug types), its just the natural food chain.
    People eat farfetch'd and slowpoke tails.
    In the anime, animals also exist in the pokemon world that people eat (fish i can remember seeing off the top of my head). Ash also mentions eating a hamburger, so we can safely assume cows are present. I think if they were made from miltanks they would be called something else, as hamburgers imply COW, and miltank and cow are two completely creatures.
    Since in the real world people can eat virtually any animal (people eat alligators and domestic dogs), i would assume, in the pokemon world, people could eat any pokemon they please, save for legendaries. Making an educated guess, we can assume Miltank, Torchic, Bird-Pokemon eggs, Ducklet/Psyduck, Grumpig/Tepig, Buneary/Lopunny, would be very popular delicacies.

My biggest question is, how would they capture the pokemon if bullets probably wouldn't effect most, and they would no doubt defend themsleves, possibly killing the person in the process? So i think we can conclude catching pokemon for food would be a very dangerous job.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
    I remember watching a Pokemon episode once, and saw Ash eating a Magikarp on a stick. It was brown, so it could've been a perfectly cooked Magikarp or a chocolate one. I think people do eat Pokemon and Pokemon eat other Pokemon as well. There's just so much proof that Pokedex entries and episodes have had that prove the diet in the Pokeverse. Though if I think about people eating Pokemon, it kinda grosses me out. A Miltank cheeseburger? Ewww, but they must taste good or something since Ash is always craving them.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Well...Chansey are quite large and they even come with an egg. They're so large that I bet they could feed at least four people. But Chansey are so rare that I think chefs might even take the time needed to evolve them. Chansey grow even larger when they evolve, meaning more people can be fed with just one pokemon, but chefs who do this are especially cruel because they have to be deceptively nice for it to happen (for Chansey will only evolve with high happiness).

I think Audino are rare for the same reason. I mean, they take a lot of hits but they're still rare. In the real world, some people tenderize their meat. It's quite sad when you really think about it.

Back