• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald or Fire Red?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    Berries are practically the only thing that's compelling me to pick Emerald over Fire Red. But in terms of maps, scripts, tiles, spites, etc., both of them can be hacked adequately and equally.

~Gibson~

It's not my fault!
    Years
    I'd say it depends on what you want to do in your hack. If you wanna create more than a single region, you'd go for Fire Red because of its 4 worldmaps; but if you want to play around with berries (like colcolstyles said)or use some dive maps, Emerald is the best choice. Also someone (dunno who^^) said, it was easier to insert new tiles into Fire Red than into Emerald, but I ain't sure about that;

greetz,
    Gibson

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Really ?
    Well , FireRed cuz it is easier to hack . Actually , I hacked Emerald only in my first days of hacking (somewhaere in 2006... ) .
    Then I learned the best choices are : Ruby OR FireRed .

Final Choice : FireRed

~Gibson~

It's not my fault!
    Years
    FireRed cuz it is easier to hack .

That's what I said^^.
    Well, I myself hack Fire Red cuz of the worldmap option and the flexibility. But since I never really hacked Emerald, I'm not sure about ITS flexibility xDD

greetz,
    Gibson

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    For one thing, FireRed is hacked way too much, I mainly play Ruby hacks, and I mainly hack Ruby, because it's easier to hack, and not a pain in the behind like FRLG

~Gibson~

It's not my fault!
    Years
    Well, I never even thought about hacking Ruby. In what way is it easier to hack and which features do you prefer at it? That would be interesting to hear^^

greetz,
    Gibson

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    dude, i tried to hack emerald, yeah it was my first hack though, but it made my head spin! then i tried fire red.... much easier!

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    Firered would be a better optition to reach out to more people. My favourite because alot of good hacks required it for patch. Plus I like the game itself better then emerald :)

Panschop19

Gimme da pasta
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2009
    For one thing, FireRed is hacked way too much, I mainly play Ruby hacks, and I mainly hack Ruby, because it's easier to hack, and not a pain in the behind like FRLG

pain in the back maybe? lol

i think it doesn't really matter, you can get almost the same result (in the plot mainly) using any version.

PS: i'd really love to see a hack with maps using GBC tiles as if you were "coming back" to older games.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
    dude, i tried to hack emerald, yeah it was my first hack though, but it made my head spin! then i tried fire red.... much easier!
    What was so much more difficult about Emerald? Just because there is a lack of tools for it doesn't mean that it's harder to hack. In fact, you might become a better hacker by hacking Emerald instead.

Years
    • Seen today
    Personally, i don't like playing Emerald hacks. Maybe its just the graphics, the o/w's, the health bars.
    I prefer Fire Red graphics.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    What was so much more difficult about Emerald? Just because there is a lack of tools for it doesn't mean that it's harder to hack. In fact, you might become a better hacker by hacking Emerald instead.
    actually i wanted to hack emerald, i am so damn familiar with it that i could have made a good hack. but should i attempt it now?

Metallimaniac

needs help with his hack!!!
    Years
    actually i wanted to hack emerald, i am so damn familiar with it that i could have made a good hack. but should i attempt it now?
    Go for it!
    I think I might try hack it after I finish my FireRed one...but i'm thinking of just porting the whole story etc to it. Just wanna get it done on FireRed cus there's a lot more coverage on these threads for it, so that makes it a bit easier to hack. But once ive really gotten used to hacking, im sure i could get my head around the Emerald differences.

i really want the R/S/E style pokedex and bag slots
    Might do a ruby hack instead...hmmm

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    Personally, i don't like playing Emerald hacks. Maybe its just the graphics, the o/w's, the health bars.
    I prefer Fire Red graphics.
    I think that people are missing the point of this thread. The question is which would you rather play a hack of. It has nothing to do with which one you would rather hack personally or which is easier to hack (?) or which one has better graphics or any of that. The question is this:

If it is assumed that a hack of Emerald and a hack of Fire Red both have all the same graphics, the same storyline, the same available Pokémon, the same scripts, etc., which would you rather play?

It's not a very good question because one could theoretically hack Fire Red to be exactly the same as Emerald and vice versa but I think Ninja Caterpie is assuming that the hack is just a basic edit (just graphics and scripts, no ASM).

Years
    • Seen today
    I think that people are missing the point of this thread. The question is which would you rather play a hack of. It has nothing to do with which one you would rather hack personally or which is easier to hack (?) or which one has better graphics or any of that. The question is this:

If it is assumed that a hack of Emerald and a hack of Fire Red both have all the same graphics, the same storyline, the same available Pokémon, the same scripts, etc., which would you rather play?

It's not a very good question because one could theoretically hack Fire Red to be exactly the same as Emerald and vice versa but I think Ninja Caterpie is assuming that the hack is just a basic edit (just graphics and scripts, no ASM).

Still, Fire Red has graphics that Emerald doesn't/can't have, like the bag/health bars. So, a hack of emerald won't/can't have the bag of Fire Red.
    My answer will remain the same, even if a hack of Fire Red and Emerald have exactly the same graphics/scripts, etc. etc.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    what about the tiles in emerald? most ppl. get bored of the same tiles.

Back