• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Empoleon Tera Raid solo strats?

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • The new tera 7-star raid was announced; Empoleon with Ice tera type. What is everyone planning to try for the raid?

Due to Empoleon's hidden ability Competitive, I definitely won't be trying any builds that lowers stats on it, unless coupled with moves like Worry Seed to eliminate the ability. Since Empoleon is slow, that could be easy to do on Turn 1. Seeing PvP builds of Empoleon, I am wondering if the raid will start out with it using Agility once though. For moves, I am thinking Blizzard or Ice Beam are obvious to match the tera type. For coverage against Fighting types, I am thinking Air Slash or Drill Peck if it's a mixed attacker like a few 7-star tera raids in the past have been. Liquidation or Hydro Pump for a water move, and I am not sure if it would have a Steel-type move, but Metal Claw or Mirror Shot if it does. Metal Claw would be nice with Competitive, since if the raid tries to lower the stats again, the Special Attack would just go up instead.

Thinking of all that, I might try to just re-use my Frosmoth from the Inteleon raid, but also think bringing an Empoleon of my own might be fun. I'm looking at some Body Press builds for other Pokémon, but nothing looked amazing (the closest was Copperajah with Heavy Slam and Body Press only because it resists all the damage types Empoleon is likely to carry).

Empoleon Tera Raid solo strats?

Frosmoth
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Ice Scales
    Tera: Steel
    Item: Shell Bell
    - Quiver Dance
    - Giga Drain
    - Tera Blast
    - Tailwind

Empoleon Tera Raid solo strats?

Empoleon
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Torrent
    Tera: Water
    Item: Shell Bell
    - Sword's Dance
    - Metal Claw
    - Waterfall
    - Roost

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    I suppose it could have Earthquake/Brick Break and a Flying move to disrupt Steel and Fighting types respectively, with its Stab Water move countering the other two types that threaten Ice. That would be pretty good coverage, with Ground+Ice being an amazing offensive combo, at the cost of losing a Steel move.

If it does have a Steel move (Flash Cannon I guess?, seems like it's going to be mixed considering its Special attack + competitive but better physical move pool) bringing Water types should be a good option, resisting Water, Ice, and Steel. And the only good move Empoleon can learn against Water types is Grass Knot, which isn't a big deal unless the opponent is heavy.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Priority #1: Remove Competitive. Triggers super easily with AI partners, even those without Intimidate.

Ideas:
    1. Golduck with Simple Beam. Guesses fairly few self-buffs on Empoleon with its ability. Learns Taunt, if necessary. Will not be very high damage.
    2. Slowking with Skill Swap. Picks normal Slowking for a buffing strategy and Galarian Slowking for a debuffing strategy (with Acid Spray).
    3. Gallade with Skill Swap. Likes Mystical Fire + Drain Punch here. Skill Swap on turn 1, get in 1-2 Mystical Fires, then come back and Swords Dance + Drain Punch.
    4. Eelektross with Gastro Acid. Not many good picks for Gastro Acid, including this. Follows it up with Eerie Impulse and Acid Spray.
    5. Shiftry with Worry Seed. Only works with Blizzard on Empoleon. Negates Blizzard with Wind Rider, except on turns where your ability gets nullified.
    6. Edit: For something more different than good: Weezing with Neutralizing Gas.

Guesses maybe Hydro Pump, Ice Beam/Blizzard, Flash Cannon, and Air Slash on Empoleon. Likely leans hard into its ability. Uses Metal Sound and Earthquake out of turn (and Hail if Blizzard). Could be interesting to see a Power Trip with those stat boosts from Competitive.

Thought about something with Malamar. Should be able to do something funny between Topsy Turvy, Skill Swap, Contrary, and Superpower. Outspeeds Empoleon too. Might not survive very well, however.

Edit: Raid now active. Won with Golduck on the first try, blind with no partner resets. Did not deserve it. Robbed Empoleon of at least seven attacks from paralysis. Thanks Sylveon for the Special Attack drops and Bellibolt for the paralysis + Light Screen. Fought alongside Mudsdale along too. Really appreciates an actual support move from an AI. Might have improved them with the DLC.

Empoleon's moves: Surf, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam, and Grass Knot.
    Nature: Modest

Leads the raid with a Snowscape and Blizzard. Never reapplies it. Clears your buffs twice and its debuffs once.

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Ended up having to use Skeledirge with Unaware. Needed to adjust the moves and EVs on mine as well, since it wasn't going to work as-is.

Frosmoth was staying alive easily, but couldn't get Quiver Dance up fast enough with all of the stat clearing that Empoleon was doing. My Empoleon attempt couldn't live the Grass Knot.

Back