• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emulators or Real Consoles?

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Years
  • I know, I should be ashamed of myself, but I prefer emulators mainly because certain emulators have the built-in feature of recording videos.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Why does having more plastic change the experience for the better? Virtual console beats everything in convenience and is also very authentic.

Years
  • Nothing beats console for me either.. all emulators really give me that's worthwhile are speed-up functions, haha. Other than that I'd rather the actual console just because it feels better.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2014
    Despite the fact that downloading ROMs on your computer and having an emulator can be endless gaming, I would rather buy the actual game from a shop to give credit to the developer, and it just feels ... Right when you play games on a console and if it is an older system such as a Gameboy, it has much more nostalgia.

Outlier

Console. I actually like to support the products and franchises that bring me entertainment thank you very much.

Humble Hook

Because the Hook brings you back ~
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    After the great fire of '09, i am left with emulating everything from PS1 and N64 down on my PSP.
    Emulation all the way. For me, the deciding point is portability, and, while on pc, playing in a higher resolution than was possible at the time of the games original release.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's gotta be consoles for me. As stated before, emulators just don't give you the same type of experience. :( Only time you'd ever see me playing on them is when I'm going through games that I've already played, but no longer own.

Years
  • Consoles are way better than phone emulators.
    I don't even know what buttons I'm touching on the GBA emulator on my phone unless I'm actually looking at them. Pressing the shoulder buttons is difficult.
    The only reason I use emulators is to play hacks and games which I don't own.

Years
  • I refuse to use an emulator unless the game is going for an extreme asking price (like flistones surprise at dinosaur peak no way am I paying $500+ to play one game) or its to play a altered version (aka rom hack) of the game.

Years
  • Real consoles. Since emulators have become a pain in the ass to configure all the settings and not all of them work properly, I can't stand them anymore. The only one I use it is VBA (and, once in a while, the snes9x) because they are simple and work flawless. But all the PS1, N64 and DS I've tried never worked smoothly, always had some problem ;_;

DS emulators were my worst experience. "You can't save on this one", "it only plays at 80% of the speed", "it randomly freezes", "you need to use gameshark to continue" ... nah. I rather not play than to play and get mad when I can't progress anymore.

I'd say backward compatibility should be hardware instead of software, to avoid these random problems.

Back