• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Encourage Ability

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
Years
  • Omg I know! I was just now thinking of Life Orb. If I'm understanding that post properly, Life Orb is apparently negated by Encourage...

...Oh wow...

It would make Encourage semi useless competitively because of the lack of choice items. Without held items it would allow for the power increase to be larger.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • The reason I would find the no-item idea interesting is because of its use in a possible no-item battle facility. (Like the Arcade) Some fun potential there.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • If thats the case, I guess there's no use Scarfing Wooguru then. xD

@Beachy: I'm looking forward to what kind of battle facilities they have as a whole. Now this I have really high hopes for. <3

Wooguru has two abilities. Keen Eye and Encourage. You could adjust your strategy accordingly.

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Wooguru has two abilities. Keen Eye and Encourage. You could adjust your strategy accordingly.

i dont think many people are going to use wooguru with keen eye i mean encourage is kind of its "gimmick" you could say?

oh and by the way i doubt encourage affects items

farage5

The Dead ROM Hacker
    Years
  • A secondary effect is an effect that has a chance of happening. Recoil damage with moves like Flare Blitz always happen so it isn't a secondary effect. Moves like Flame Wheel that have a chance to burn the opponent won't burn because the chance to burn has been taken away.
    Actually, a secondary effect is something that happens besides the damage.That's why it called a SECONDARY effect. Duh! You better have seen that word. Otherwise you need an eye exam.

Anyways... What if there was some sort of freak accident and GameFreak made the damage of the moves the secondary effects, and the original secondary effects are the main effects. If that happens, Encourage would cancel out the attacks, and make the secondary effects stronger, which really doesn't do anything!

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
  • Actually, a secondary effect is something that happens besides the damage.That's why it called a SECONDARY effect. Duh! You better have seen that word. Otherwise you need an eye exam.

Anyways... What if there was some sort of freak accident and GameFreak made the damage of the moves the secondary effects, and the original secondary effects are the main effects. If that happens, Encourage would cancel out the attacks, and make the secondary effects stronger, which really doesn't do anything!

That seems a little too careless on Game Freak's behalf. And no, recoil damage is not a secondary effect... it's recoil damage. When a poisonous spider bites you, you might get poisoned. When you run into a wall headfirst, you get recoil damage.

See how that works? It's not a secondary effect, it's a result of you being reckless. Just like hard hitting physical attacks are on Pokémon, high power full body hits at the expense of taking damage from it.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Actually, a secondary effect is something that happens besides the damage.That's why it called a SECONDARY effect. Duh! You better have seen that word. Otherwise you need an eye exam.

Its not literal. In pokemon a secondary effect is an effect that doesnt have a 100% chance of happening, like burn or flinch. If an effect has an 100% chance of happening, like recoil, its Primary.

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    That seems a little too careless on Game Freak's behalf. And no, recoil damage is not a secondary effect... it's recoil damage. When a poisonous spider bites you, you might get poisoned. When you run into a wall headfirst, you get recoil damage.

See how that works? It's not a secondary effect, it's a result of you being reckless. Just like hard hitting physical attacks are on Pokémon, high power full body hits at the expense of taking damage from it.

yes but i have a question. everyones saying if something has a chnace of happening it doesnt happen whereas if it is definetely going to happen it will. so what happens with the move mud-slap which ALWAYS lowers the foes accuracy?

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
  • I am going to say it will probably keep it. As like recoil damage, surely the lowering of the stat would be built into the Primary Effect?

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I am going to say it will probably keep it. As like recoil damage, surely the lowering of the stat would be built into the Primary Effect?

i dont know though it seems to me like all the effects this ability negates affect the opponent so with mud-slap its difficult to tell what will happen

Back