• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

English Openings

Favorite Pokemon English Opening?

• Pokemon: I Choose You!!

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Orange Islands

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Jhoto Journeys

• Jhoto League Champions

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Master Quest

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Pokemon Advanced

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Pokemon Advanced Challenge

• Pokemon Advanced Battle

• Pokemon Battle Dimension

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl 2

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
Years
  • Which one/s are/is your favorite? Mine are: Jhoto League Champions, Master Quest, Pokemon Advanced, Advanced Challenge and Advanced Battle.

Kuro

Cloaked by the Masses
    Years
  • Johto League Champions, if we're talking about the music. I love the sequence of gym leaders, but Ash and Pikachu jumping through what can only be described as a war zone (rockets, lasers, gunfire, WTF) killed it for me.

I detest the Diamond and Pearl openings. They make my blood boil.

Years
  • Heh...

Pokemon World...for some reason (Nostalgia for the old...)...Also Pokemon: I choose you is good....But the DP/BD ones just don't compare to "Together" at all...

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Johto and the Battle Frontier ones made my mind blow. Just fantastic animation done their. Cheers to the artist who did that job.

Fiver

Resigned. March 2005 - May 2012
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Mine are Johto Journeys, Master Quest and Pokemon Advanced Battle.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    1. Pokémon Theme - Season 1's opening, or "Gotta Catch Em All!". What can I say? This deeply nostalgic theme speaks bounds and volumes within itself. It has a great, underlying, solidified beat, the initial scenes bear an ineffable level of inspiration to me, the music flows well from the visuals (rather than the antipode), and this theme defines the series as a whole in English to me. I'm rather a fan of Jason Paige's work myself. And, by that mindset, I still favor the Pokémon techno remix. Maybe that's just some inscrutable notion of nostalgia, but still. An instant classic, and a great way to flare up the dub. I also like the Italian dub's inaugural opening as well (which I find to have nicely paced beats).

2. Master Quest's opening - or "Believe In Me". Not quite as good as Season 1's opening, but there's a great beat situated under this score and it follows the tone very well to me. And, for that matter, the animation and footage is equally good in tandem. If the series were to end at this point, I think this would be a great dub opening to end it on.

3. "I wanna be a Hero" - Advanced Generation's inaugural opening. For a series that I don't like much, I feel the theme is very good. I rather like the style of music and vocals, and David Rolfe certainly helps here, as he does in every Pokémon dub opening I've heard him partake. The pace is set very well, but I only put this theme this low because I don't care for the Pokémon much after Johto (as I feel they become less characters and more wallpaper).

4. "Unbeatable". Not quite as good as "I wanna be a hero", but it covers things on a scale at large and gives us a good look at all the Pokémon and locales of this generation, while still giving an invigorating score and footage that's on equal footing for me.

5. "This Dream". Not quite as good as "Unbeatable", but not bad, either - it loses itself a bit as it draws on, but it's good to me.

6. "Born to be a Winner". It's a tad too brief for my tastes. The theme itself is good, though it feels just a tad... hollow and superficial to me, like it could have had much more epic and dramatic treatment but instead was toned down.

7. Battle Dimension's opening - "We will be heroes". I'm of the thought that this was surprisingly good given how laughable the previous two openings are, in my opinion. It has a very strong undertone and beat, but the footage could be a tad better to me.

8. Pokémon World. I don't like this much... at all. I suppose any style of music isn't squandered so much as it needs good application, but I feel there's too much rap and it's not enough of its own thing. The footage is good, but I'm just not for the rap. A very sharp decline in quality by comparison to Season 1's opening, IMO.

9. Johto Journeys, or "Pokémon Johto". The footage, animation, pace, and syncing... all of that is very good, but I just can't peter out the style of music used here. It's not only far too upbeat for me, but I just... don't like the style of music... at all. It galls me to no end. I don't find it very catchy. But that's just me.

10. Battle Frontier. Too short, not worth my recollection, very uninspired, and the beats themselves aren't very ardent or dramatic to me, but just sappy and irking. Pass.

11. Diamond and Pearl. Wow... and I thought Pokémon World's rap was bad. Nevermind that, I mean, I feel there needs to be balance struck between conveying a message and the way the music is used (in that the music can be clashing with even the most subtle change to me). This theme just hulks out of "quality" in all aspects to me. The rap, the footage... none of it qualifies for even "apt" in my opinion.

Those are my sentiments, anyway.

Last edited:

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Good thread this. I was thinking of creating one myself till this came along.

I think most of the music is Pokemon is underrated. If you took away the pokemon references and added a couple of extra verses I reckon most of the public would enjoy them and I could see them reaching the top ten of most music charts. They all have a catchy beat, great vocals and are very uplifting and inspiring. Great music. It's better then most of the Rap/Pop that is being created these days. I can listen to them just as music tracks and have all of them in my I Tunes collection.

Anyway back to the question, I think Master Quest, the full version seen at the start of the fifth movie is the best. Best guitar riffs and best tune. Just so damm catcy and uplifting as well. The full version of the original is next. Great bit of music. Very inspirational as well. Battle Dimension would be third. That is surprisingly very good.

Back