• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Epic Fails You've Made In A Game?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
  • Played doubles in gen 5 one time with a water 'mon and fire type out. Didn't realize that Surf's mechanics changed and I ended up killing myself. I think I did the same thing with discharge too.

katiekun11

I ♥ Ghost & Ice Type Pokemon!
    Years
  • I can't really remember much about old games but in Black, I FORGOT to heal & I FORGOT to buy any healing items before I took on the Elite Four. My team all fainted except for Victini, who ended up beating either N or Ghetsis (can't remember who came last) with 1HP left. Win!

TheFallenUmbreon

Dreams shall never fall...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    I remember when I caught a Poliwhirl and wanted to evolve it to a politoad...but I forgot to give it the sunstone -.- so it ended up evolving into a Poliwrath...

Gliese

I Drink Nozz-A-La
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2013
    Back in Pokemon Red I didn't know I was suppose to go get Flash, so I couldn't figure out how to get through Dark Cave. By the time I figured it out, my main was at level 50.

On the same game, because I started watching the anime first, the episode where Ash's Charmander easily defeated Golem gave me the impression that Rock-types were weak against fire. I found out the hard way when I faced Brock.

In Gold I was trying to capture Entei. I was on Route 38 when I ran into him. He fled the battle, and I went a little ways further. I wasn't paying attention, I mistook a Tauros for Entei, and through my masterball. I didn't realize it until I had already saved.

SilentShadow

Agent of Mystery
    Years
  • I failed to catch Mewtwo on my first game in Leaf Green... I didnt know how powerful he was. when I battled with my friends (we were 8, and were not competitive at all) i would always lose cause his Mewtwo swept me. Enough reason to restart my game for it

Years
  • I remember playing Black and I was going through Twist Mountain on the way to Icirrus City and I ran into a Shiny Boldore!

The bad news was...
    Spoiler:

I really feel bad for running away from a rare Shiny that I could have caught. I eventually learned from this mistake and caught a Shiny Drilbur in Chargestone Cave months later.

mavy42

I'm back, broz :)
    Years
  • This was my first time.... In pokemon sapphire i got the Master Ball.... At that time, I didn't what that is so what I did was capture a tentacruel with a Master Ball :(((((
    my brother told me what a master ball was and he laughed and i was ashamed of myself....

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    I can think of two back in Crystal I accidentally Released my Croconaw one level before he evolved.

The other was in Emerald I stumbled upon a shiny Poochyena and though "Eww its a different color i should run away from it" I think about punching younger me daily...

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • I can remember back in Yellow, in Silph Co., I didn't know how the teleporters worked, so I ended up stuck there for nearly a year.

Truly, my greatest failure. :/

Vasquez

Hacker and LPer
    Years
  • Technically not *in-game* per-say, but I was playing FR on my GBA and got a bit thirsty, so I went to the fridge and got myself a drink and some ice. While doing this, I left my GBA in the freezer somehow... Didn't realize this until 2 days later, and needless to say, my GBA was totaled...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Oh, there'll have been too many times where I've used my Master Ball on something accidental like a Magmar or something. Too many to name offhand, but one of them probably did involve a Magmar! :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    My biggest failure would be never using a masterball. I either weakened the legendaries and then caught them in an ultraball or I accidentally fainted it and had to restart to catch it again. Because of this I still haven't caught any roaming legendaries. :(

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • In Sapphire, I totally missed the Master Ball. I haven't had any huge fails other than missing items. Never ran away from regular Pokemon, let alone shiny ones. So that was never a big deal...ummm well I didn't save before fighting any of the Regis in Sapphire and they all committed suicide on me so I didn't catch them after all that work to unlock them. Accidentally killed Kyogre too. It's like I had never heard of the save feature or something.

Guest123_x1

Some of the biggest blunders I have ever made in the games (actually all of the following were done on Yellow) were:
    • Wasting my Master Ball on a Farfetch'd (because I was frustrated with how difficult they were to capture).
    • Running from battle with each of the three Kanto Legndary Birds, as well as both Snorlaxes.
    • Early on in my experience, frequently trying to use electric attacks in the Pewter Gym (not knowing any better as to electric attacks don't work against Ground-types).
    • When I entered Cerulean City for the first time ever, I kept trying to figure out how to get back to Mt. Moon and Pewter City.
    • Early on, I kept trying to catch other trainers' Pokémon, especially those that cannot be found in the wild on that particular version (such as Weedle and Meowth).

Back