• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Errors with invisible player and crashing pause menu

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2014
    Hello there!
    I have been working on a Pokémon Essentials game, and have ran into some bother. IIn my attempt to add a new pokémon, Chespin, I followed a Youtube tutorial, but must have done something wrong, because when I added the Pokémon, a crash was caused. The error log didn't make any sense, so I removed the changes, and reloaded it.

And now the game does some weird stuff.

I can't see my avatar, I am invisible. And if I try to enter a building, I get a crash and this error:

---------------------------
    Pokemon Shadow Black
    Exception: TypeError

PokemonField:1505:in `+'

PokemonField:1505:in `pbGetPlayerCharset'

PokemonField:1528:in `pbUpdateVehicle'

PokemonField:1539:in `pbCancelVehicles'

Scene_Map:225:in `transfer_player'

Scene_Map:110:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Scene_Map:114:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'

Scene_Map:65:in `loop'

and If I press C, I get a crash and this error:

Pokemon Shadow Black
    Exception: NoMethodError

PokemonUtilities:2206:in `pbSetViableDexes'

PokemonUtilities:2203:in `each'

PokemonUtilities:2203:in `pbSetViableDexes'

PokemonPauseMenu:96:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

Scene_Map:188:in `call_menu'

Scene_Map:159:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'

Scene_Map:65:in `loop'

Scene_Map:72:in `main'

Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

I am quite worried, because I removed the changes, but the crash is still going.

Has anyone ever had a similar crash?

Tek

Years
  • I'm not familiar with Pokemon Essentials specifically, but it's very likely that you either didn't remove everything, or removed something you shouldn't have.

Find the code that is running when the crashes happen, check out any functions or variables that section of code relies on... the usual stuff. Specifically, I'd look at all functions and variables related to displaying your avatar, then look at code that affects your avatar in general and displaying in general.

Or just start again from your last stable build. You did create a back-up or something before doing all this, right? Right?

Years
  • Did you try doing a new game instead of using continue? (I know this sounds weird but this usually fixes a lot of problems strangely)

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2014
    Yeah, loading new game doesn't help. However it doesn't load the into screen... Or give the option of starting a new game... I think I might have accidently changed something in the script as to where he starts, without meaning too. However I am a very poor scripter... I can't figure out where or what has changed...

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    You have changed the player's starting position. This position should be in the Intro map, which is where the Professor's lecture is given. See also the wiki, which states that there are two things that MUST be done in the lecture (or rather, at the start of the game) - these things define the player character, and without them the player will be invisible and cause both of your errors.

Back