• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen EV training guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
  • Yes, is the simple answer. Just make sure you've worked out the first 510 EV, because they can't be changed afterwards except with berries like Pomegs. Any battles after that don't affect the EVs, so you can level up to L100 with no other affect to your stats apart from your EV/IVs and nature.

Years
  • Sandeep, the stats raise slowly at the beginning, but as you get into the higher levels you should start to see a different.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    You can still EV train Lv.100. If you put a Pokemon in the box the EVs it has will raise its stats. It's called the Box Trick.
    And in the games before GBA there was no 510 limit. You don't need to care so much for EV training then.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • i dint the pokemon i was trying to ev train was lvl 50 and was only going plus 3
    This should mean you level up too fast, maybe? (Because you battle less and gain less EVs each level)
    You can still EV train Lv.100. If you put a Pokemon in the box the EVs it has will raise its stats. It's called the Box Trick.
    And in the games before GBA there was no 510 limit. You don't need to care so much for EV training then.
    Actually, the Box Trick was fixed in the second generation. (Or at least in the third)

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • You should mean 90-99. In Lv100, it's useless.

Anyway, if you reduce all the EVs your Pokémon must already have, you should still be able to train (with low level Pokémon) considering all the experience you need in the last levels.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2007
    Alright, let me see if I got most of this correct..

1)Lets say i have a level 92 Monferno, and i never knew about EV training till now, I wouldnt be able to get a STRONG Monferno right? Since the EV points are scattered all over the place?

2)Lets say i caught a lvl 5 Mukrow, and i wanted all the EV points to go into Attack and HP, Id have to fight the monsters that give EV points in those areas Over and over again ? and if i see other types of Pokemon, run away? Cause if I fight 4 Pokemon that give (Lets say Defense).. Id have 1 EV point put into Defense and id be screwed right?

3)Do you recommend beating through the whole game before EV training?
    Thanks for answering all my questions :p

Bishopk

meow :)
    Years
    • CO
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    1) It would be a more round and even one, since the EVs are spread out.
    Why do you have a lv. 92 Monferno?
    2) Yes, yes, and no. If you fight one Pokémon for a defense EV, it gives you a defense EV. It can be erased by a happiness berry (the specific one slips my mind).
    3) Yes. You can't really EV train in-game, because you follow a set path. Do you understand? you can hang out around Route 201 killing Bidoof forever, but that's boring.

And: I did get the box trick to work once in D/P, my Blissey was in the middle of a level and I put it in and its HP rose one.

ThePlaya

I Am The Charizard Master
    Years
  • hey i wanted to ask this question

soemone somewhere in the fisrt page(i think)posted that if you battled a trainier's pokes then it will give it 2x the evs...is he right?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • It depends how you levelled your Pokemon to such a high level. If you just used Rare Candy (and only RCs), then you can still EV train BEFORE L100. Once you reach L100 you can't EV train since you can't gain EV if you can't gain Exp. Using the Day-Care Centre to level up works like this too, since you're not battling.

If you levelled up by battling, then you've already eaten into your EV limit, and it's advisable to use some EV reducing berries like Pomegs to reduce them before starting training.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2007
    Hey I just read about Breeding and such..Ok so now.. if i wanted a really strong Pokemon, if i Get 2 Newborn Pokemons, and EV train them both, breed em, then would the baby of THOSE TWO have Good IV?

Bishopk

meow :)
    Years
    • CO
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    IV != EV
    It's one IV from the mother, one from the father, one from a random parent, and the other 3 are random.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • Hey I just read about Breeding and such..Ok so now.. if i wanted a really strong Pokemon, if i Get 2 Newborn Pokemons, and EV train them both, breed em, then would the baby of THOSE TWO have Good IV?
    That would result in a total waste of time. Babies get IVs, not EVs. For IVs, you have to be lucky or know how to IV-breed.

Znale

Disturbed Morphing Jar
    Years
  • That would result in a total waste of time. Babies get IVs, not EVs. For IVs, you have to be lucky or know how to IV-breed.

Breeding is a matter of skill and patience. It can get a bit complicated, for example to get a good Weavile, you need to catch or get a male Hitmonchan and make it learn Ice Punch. Then you need a good IVd (Not necessary at this point) female Buneary and breed Ice Punch to a baby Buneary with good IVs. Then you need a perfect Natured and very good IVd Sneasel and breed them. The baby must have Ice Punch, perfect Nature and very good IVs to make it worthwhile.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • Sure, no problem.

Route 222 (Outside Sunnyshore)
    Name:Alec
    Says: "Welcome traveler! I forgotten your name, but we've battled before, haven't we?"
    Pokemon 2 Gyarados (2 ATK EV each)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back