• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] Game Making Competition

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
  • I'm participating and having a lot of fun with this... it's a nice little change of pace for me.

TheWindMage

Wild Contradiction appeared!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    No letters thing, no. I'm still not sure what you even mean by that. But no, no more custom content than a title screen and using the two provided tilesets.

I said one setting, and that's what I meant. Using multiple settings will just mean you didn't stick to the rules as well as other people will have. Keep your one chosen setting recognisable, if you must be tempted anyway to add in elements from the others, in order to maximise the chances of your game getting votes.

Any more rule-bending you want to have a go at, Xaviar?

I know that this post is ten days old, but I do think you're taking what Xaviar was saying out of proportion -- I'm fairly certain he was just trying to make a joke. If you notice, he used all of the settings you mentioned.

On another note, I've been meaning to ask. I haven't used RMXP in a long while, and when I did use it I was about thirteen and never really learned how to make good maps. I was going to ask if it was okay to post a picture of maybe, two maps to ask people's opinion on what they looked like. Not revealing any information about my project, of course.

EDIT: I just thought of something. I do believe that anyone who enters probably shouldn't be able to vote. I think there should be an open poll to prevent this. Just my opinion, though.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    As we head into the last day of the competition, here is a reminder of what needs to be done now:

1. Privately send me your game (send a download link to me via PM). The game must be uncompiled, so that rules can be enforced.
    2. Let me know which setting and features you have incorporated into your game. There should be exactly one setting, and a minimum of three features. You may list only three features even if you have included more. These will be listed alongside your game during the judging period.
    3. Tell me who the game creator(s) are. This information will be withheld until the end of the judging period, at which point it will be revealed along with the scores.
    4. I will send you a confirmation PM when I have received your submission. If there is a problem (e.g. bad download link, apparent rule-breaking), I will try to work with you to resolve it. I will be available for the final 6 hours (i.e. from 6pm GMT onwards) to do all this. I cannot guarantee that I can help with every situation that may arise, particularly if you are not around at the same time.
    5. I will post in this thread when time is up. Any submissions sent to me after I make that post, even if just a minute late, will not be allowed. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that you submit your game with sufficient time to spare.
    Once I have all the submissions, I will check and compile them, and then upload them in one big package for everyone to download. I hope to have done this within 24 hours of the end of the competition. Voting will then take place. Detailed information on voting will be announced/reposted when the voting period starts.

All submissions must be received by me by midnight at the end of 31st August 2010 GMT (that's 23.5 hours from now). This means I must have downloaded a copy of your game by then and sent a confirmation PM, NOT that you have simply PM'd me a link. I will be available for the final 6 hours to help with any problems that might arise.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • ........crap. Time flew by too fast for me, I forgot about this. Shame, too... my game had some pretty cool stuff... just is nowhere near finished.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    You can submit incomplete games if you want - just expect them to be marked down for not being finished.

Perhaps we could have a "Whatever Happened to the Game Making Competition?" thing in a month or so, where we see how people have carried on with their games afterwards once they stopped having any restrictions to work to...

I am now in for the evening, by the way, as promised.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Time's up, and I can confidently say that it'll be very difficult to pick a winner out of the entries. Particularly as there aren't any.

That's right, no submissions. Kinda puts a hole in the "vote for your favourite three games" business, really. And even though I made things simple for everyone too, by throwing in restrictions that meant less time-wasting (i.e. looking for resources, fiddling with scripts).

With that, I'll announce:

Deadline extended!
    The competition will now be open until the end of the 26th September (GMT). That's nearly another four weeks for you to get your games in shape/started.

Remember - your game doesn't have to be long. It doesn't even need to be complete, actually. As long as it's something.

I'm also considering dropping some/all restrictions, in the vain hope that someone tries to have a go this time (although what they might manage in a few weeks may not be that impressive even with custom tiles). Opinions in a post, please - what can be dropped, and what shouldn't?

At least this makes for some interesting material for analysis. I might write an essay on the whole competition experience later.

TheWindMage

Wild Contradiction appeared!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Wow, I was about to send in my submission to you. Oh well, I guess it'll give me an extra day or two to finish the last part of my game. I really hope some other people send in some submissions. I'd like to see how I compare to people who have been working with RMXP for years or even months.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Only a week and a half left to go, everyone. I hope you're still working on those games, or at least, will get back to working on them thanks to this little nudge.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Four hours to go now, and I still haven't had any submissions. I won't be extending this competition any further, even if I still don't get any submissions, so be warned. Get your game to me very soon.

Back