• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

Which do you support?

• Evolution

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Intelligent Design

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    I believe in a bit of both. I will say I do not believe that the universe was born from a simple 'bang.' Or that it was the work of one 'God' or any of the stuff that the torah, bible, or the quran foretells.

I do believe in a system of divinity that laid the groundwork for everything, however.
    I think the meaning of existence is something that the human mind is not meant to comprehend.

Infamous Amos

ALL BIDOOF IN MY WAY WILL FALL
    Years
    I believe in intellegent design and evolution as true...
    I do not believe evolotion as the origin of species.

I'll even go as far to say that humans today may not look like the humans 6000 years ago, but they were always human, never came from apes or pigs or whatever.

Evolution is a real process that happens every day.

Lets say we have one group of 998 rats in a house that are succeptable to a certain type of poison (lets call it Chemical Y), and two rats that are not. An exterminator comes in and set up traps in the house with Chemical Y and kills all the 998 rats who are succeptable.

These two rats breed and over time, we will have 1,000 rats in the house that are invulnerable to Chemical Y, and it no longer affects them. We will have to find another chemical to kill them with. Chemical Z may kill them all, but there is a possibility that there are rats that have mutated in the house that are not vulnerable to Chemical Z, and the process starts again.

That is the only thing about evolution that I belive to be true.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

This thread should get interesting.

I love how people say humans evolving from monkeys is ridiculous when creationism states that we were created from mud and a rib (male and females respectively). But I know this thread deals with intelligent design, not creationism. From the numerous research I've read on evolution, it just makes too much sense. Intelligent design just seems like something someone through together when they realized "Crap, creationism sounds like crap when compared to the theory of evolution. Let's make up something that sounds half credible so people have something they believe in."

Plus, I don't know why people are so offended by us descending from monkeys. They're freaking awesome.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Seeing as the big bang is a mathematical impossibility, and the current evolution theory depends on the theory of the big bang, I side with intelligent design. That and it's more logical, as far as I'm concerned.

Infamous Amos

ALL BIDOOF IN MY WAY WILL FALL
    Years
    From the numerous research I've read on evolution, it just makes too much sense.
    Hmm...
    What do you make of the theory of Irreducible Complexity?

Plus, I don't know why people are so offended by us descending from monkeys. They're freaking awesome.
    Actually, from what I have been hearing from evolutionists recently it is that they both came from a common ancestor, not that man came from monkeys.

Seeing as the big bang is a mathematical impossibility, and the current evolution theory depends on the theory of the big bang, I side with intelligent design. That and it's more logical, as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree, but, mathmatical impossibility? Please explain.

I can't remember if I posted in here already not, but I'm on the "who gives a dang!?" side of things. There's better things we can be focusing our resources on.
    An unexamined life is not worth living.
    --Socrates

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years

How is us being created by a higher all-powerful being of whose existence we don't have any empirical evidence more senseful that the most backuped scientific theory in History?

And evolution isn't based on Big-Bang. Big-Bang explain how the universe was created. But we are talking about how the living beings changed from the simplest cells into all the kind of beings we see nowaday, and that can be explained separatedly from Big-Bang.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I think that God is actually a part of all of us, like the energy that happens to form the first life. I think that He is more of a abstract idea rather than a figure, and that He is what makes the world (or rather, the universe) go round rather than be silent.

Maybe God is actually what made the soul (which by my definition is the energy of life, or rather energy that makes life possible), and that's how life began. That's probably why it's rather difficult to create even simple life by mixing chemicals together. Maybe the soul was created when the first bolt of lightning sparked the first bactirium to come to life. This soul developed as the species developed, helping create the wide spectrum of life we see today. I think it's a much better explaination that either just Evolution or just Creationism/Intellegent Design.

If it was true that the soul and the, well, best way to put it would be "Will of God", then that would give all life a rather beautiful mutual connection, moreso than even evolution, hmm? It gives you respect for your surroundings to think that every blade of grass, every insect, even every little microorganism under the microscope is its own life, its own soul. It makes you think of the world in a completely different way.

And no, I'm not a vegetarian. Even though animals have souls to me, I'll still eat them because I need to in order to survive. And they're yummy XD. However, I'll only try to eat animals that have been humanely treated, such as eating only cage-free eggs or beef that was raised in a farm rather than a factory.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Hmm...
    What do you make of the theory of Irreducible Complexity?

it still doesn't solve the problem that intelligent design relies on an omnipotent designer, while omnipotence is logically impossible

I agree, but, mathmatical impossibility? Please explain.

I'm not entirely sure, but txteclipse may be referring to the fact that something cannot come from nothing. However, this is a flawed argument as the big bang theory states that there was always this infinitely dense mass which became the universe, not that the universe just exploded into existence.

An unexamined life is not worth living.
    --Socrates

but in an unexamined life, you can still eat chocolate, right?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    I'm not entirely sure, but txteclipse may be referring to the fact that something cannot come from nothing. However, this is a flawed argument as the big bang theory states that there was always this infinitely dense mass which became the universe, not that the universe just exploded into existence.
    Nope. The explanation is actually right there in your post. An infinitely dense mass cannot become finitely dense, i.e. a singularity cannot become a universe. It's one of the basics of mathematics that an infinite number divided by any finite number is still infinity.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    I don't think this should turn into a debate, this thread was created (i think) for us just to say what we believe in.

However since I was asked a question, I will answer it, but I am no way getting into a debate.

Like what holes?
    You take your pic, and I have a problem with it, however some of the bigger issues I find are the whole thing about us coming from monkeys, and the monkeys coming from a rock.

Neither does the big bang. It created the universe..... laws were not the same or relevant at that time.

So I believe in the beginning... God, and you believe in the beginning... dirt?

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
    Neither.

I find it hard to believe that someone snapped their fingers and created life, but I also find it just as hard to believe that microscopic life magically appeared, then somehow became fish that eventually sprouted legs and started walking on land.

I honestly don't care either way. We're here now, and probably have better things to worry about, so I try not to spend too much time wondering why.
    Holy crap, this is exactly what I think. Thank you for typing that so I didn't have to.

It's really hard to figure out, because if it's evolution, you have to wonder where the species came from to begin with, and if it's intelligent design, you have to wonder where the "God" came from. If I had to choose, I'd go with evolution, but it's really not important to me, just like religion in general.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Neither does the big bang. It created the universe..... laws were not the same or relevant at that time.
    Going on that alone, any scientist would tell you that the big bang theory is therefore unscientific and not viable. If it can't be supported scientifically, then it is not a valid theory, according to scientific practice.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    Right, but there are other things to back it up. There aren't many valid things to back creationism and/or intelligent design up.

Question: Have you ever even taken the time to try and find some?

And were is some credible proof of evolution?

Just look at both sides before you make a decision; it's like crossing the street, you always want to look both ways.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back