• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Extending the Franchise

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    There are 4 main parts of the Pokemon franchise:

1. Games
    2. Anime
    3. Cards
    4. Manga

Then there is the merchandise, that pokes its head into various extensions to test them out and see if they're viable business choices (Pokemon amusement park anyone?).

The question of this thread is, what kind of product would you like Pokemon to make to add to the franchise and why? Why do you think they aren't a part of that medium already?

The question is hard to phrase so I'll answer it myself here:

I think Pokemon should put more effort into making books. They have a few out that are basically rehashes of anime episodes and such, but they don't have any real novels that I'm sure people would love. But I guess they don't think to get into real novels because Pokemon has a habit of not catering to the older fans of the franchise, and the anime books seem to be more than enough for the younger fans.

Feel free to reply to other ideas, discuss how it would be best implemented, etc.!

garjora

Ambassador of the Cosmos
    Years
  • The idea of books is great but honestly I don't think they would sell, why? Because children in this generation are getting exposed to technology at a very young age and reading a book would be the least thing on their mind, sure, school teaches children that reading books is great but let's be real in saying they won't sell like hotcakes like the games do.

What i'm hoping for is a remake of the Pokémon Trading Card Game, there is currently two games and they're for the gameboy color, of course back a few years ago it wasn't really popular so that's why they didn't release the second game worldwide, only in Japan. I think this would be a great time to revamp the whole game and change it into a DS franchise, I would definitely buy it.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    The idea of books is great but honestly I don't think they would sell, why? Because children in this generation are getting exposed to technology at a very young age and reading a book would be the least thing on their mind, sure, school teaches children that reading books is great but let's be real in saying they won't sell like hotcakes like the games do.

What i'm hoping for is a remake of the Pokémon Trading Card Game, there is currently two games and they're for the gameboy color, of course back a few years ago it wasn't really popular so that's why they didn't release the second game worldwide, only in Japan. I think this would be a great time to revamp the whole game and change it into a DS franchise, I would definitely buy it.

They already remade the Card Game as an Online game on Pokemon.com. Its Play Pokemon. You can link your actual Play Account for the TCG to the online one and compete in online ranked matches as well as transfer booster packs, Structure Decks, and special decks online using a special coded card that comes with them so you can recreate your deck online.

The Online TCG is ran by TPCi so it is an official game.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022

I think Pokemon should put more effort into making books. They have a few out that are basically rehashes of anime episodes and such, but they don't have any real novels that I'm sure people would love. But I guess they don't think to get into real novels because Pokemon has a habit of not catering to the older fans of the franchise, and the anime books seem to be more than enough for the younger fans.

It would be quite interesting to see how a Pokemon novel aimed at a older demographic would be like. Nothing like twilight - maybe something aimed at the 13 - 16 year olds. Also FYI there are also novelizations of many Pokemon anime episodes. If they could have a original story instead of one taken from the anime it could work.

Years
  • There's like a couple shirts and stuff out there, but I feel like more Pokemon-related apparel would be pretty awesome. And I mean not just kids stuff, I'm pretty sure teens and adults would wear it too. I would. :3

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    They already remade the Card Game as an Online game on Pokemon.com. Its Play Pokemon. You can link your actual Play Account for the TCG to the online one and compete in online ranked matches as well as transfer booster packs, Structure Decks, and special decks online using a special coded card that comes with them so you can recreate your deck online.

The Online TCG is ran by TPCi so it is an official game.

That's not what he's referring to. There are video games that are based on the TCG, have a plot, have special cards, etc. An online TCG simulator is nothing like what he's asking for.

garjora, I have to agree that this is the wrong generation for a book franchise to start with Pokemon. XD Unless they advertised it as an e-book and actually caught up with the technology, but for some reason I feel that Pokemon wouldn't do that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I believe there already is a Pokemon themed amusement park open to the public.

There was one in 2005, but it was temporary :( They closed it down after one summer.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think it was meant to be temporary from the start so they just stuck with the plan they already had. I've seen the pictures though and I would kill for that park to come back. ;____;

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I don't know about an amusment park... Because of pokemon's childish tag a lot of kids would go there, but in order to really bring in the crowds they would have to enter the coaster wars and build the best roller coaster and that, is not an easy war to get ahead in. I love the idea of books though.

Years
  • I wouldn't mind some kind of "choose your own adventure" style ebook. It would give you a little bit of the "I'm on a Pokemon journey!" feel since you would have some amount of control over the story along with a reading aspect instead of a video game one.

Back