• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Extreme Amount of Help on Building This

Eisen

Lord of Desert
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    I barely know what I am doing, as I've been exposed to a whole new range of pokemon, moves, items, and abilities through the 4th Gen. I also just recently have been exposted to these...Effort Values (and if anyone can actually EXPLAIN what EVs are to me so that I can understand how they work, it would be appreciated).

Anyways, here's what I built with a mix of some pokemon I actually like (Mainly Rampardos)

Swampert @ Leftovers

240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA

~Stealth Rock
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Earthquake
    ~Roar

I chose Swampert first mainly because he's overall just wonderful. Anything I don't like I can just use Roar on, which will also be hit by stealth rock, obviously.

Forretress @ Shed Shell
    Jolly
    252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def

~Spikes
    ~Rapid Spin
    ~Earthquake
    ~Light Screen

Spikes can be used with Stealth Rock, I've been told (but I actually doubt it, because that would be extremely broken). Either way, it's a good move. Rapid Spin can remove those nasty stealth rock and related moves. Earthquake for fire counter, and light screen for reinforcement.

Rampardos @ Focus Sash
    Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

~Rock Polish
    ~Earthquake
    ~Zen Headbutt
    ~Stone Edge

I like Rampardos, or at least when you can get actually get some hits in. I'm hoping light screen/reflect from Claydol (who is next on the list) or Forretress can be around long enough for when he's sent out. I then use Rock Polish, and if the opponent uses something like rest, roost, etc, it's even better. He's not too great, but I'm hoping I can keep him.

Claydol @ Light Clay
    Sassy
    252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spd

~Shadow Ball
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Light Screen
    ~Reflect

Claydol is more of my defense-upping guy, along with the ability to have super-effective shadow ball on Psychics and such.

Infernape @ Black Belt
    Brave
    / /

~Flamethrower
    ~Grass Knot
    ~Nasty Plot
    ~Close Combat

Not much I can honestly say about him.

Bronzong @ Lum Berry
    Sassy
    252 HP / 86 Atk / 80 Def / 92 Spd

~Gyro Ball
    ~Hypnosis
    ~Toxic
    ~Earthquake

Pretty sure that this is going to need a lot of improvement. Don't be afraid to tell me if it does.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I think Impish would be a better option over Jolly for Forretress, because really even if it outruns some things, he should focus primarily on setting up Spikes.

Try using Explosion over Shadow Ball on Claydol, it gives Rampardos a free switch without having to switch into anything. Earth Power is preferred over Stone Edge for STAB, and its usefulness in hitting Steels that rely on physical side, and hits Tyranitar decently.

Use Naive nature, with the EVs of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe, on Infernape. Life Orb should be used over Black Belt because MixApe NEEDS the power boost, it guarantees certain OHKOs/2HKOs that you need (mainly Suicune, Vaporeon, etc).

Explosion could be used over Toxic on Bronzong, due to you cannot status the opponent twice with sleep and poison. Since Bronzong is not a lead, Leftovers is more useful over Lum Berry, as you will only find really small chances that you will get induced with status outside of leading.

Might come back to spot of weaknesses.

(and if anyone can actually EXPLAIN what EVs are to me so that I can understand how they work, it would be appreciated).
    If you would have read my answer to your question when you asked that in the Simple Question & Answer Thread, then you would have known. Click here, it should give you everything what EVs are. If you want to come back to that post for future reference, it is the second post in the "Compiled Guides - Fourth Generation" sticky.

Last edited:

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    I'm assuming Swampert is Relaxed.

Jolly = fail on Forry; Impish is pure superior.

Focus Sash these days is useless without a lead that prevents the use of SR. Either use a fast lead with Taunt, or don't use Sash. RApid Spin might be a makeshift solution, but it can be unreliable, and it opens you up to a Magnezone or anything that can KO Forry instantly some setup time. I'm just saying that you should be wary of this.

I see that most of your team is weak to water, usually meaning that a Gyara with a Dragon Dance is going to end you, or heck, I could even say Ludicolo here. lol

Naive >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brave on Infernape and Life Orb over Black Belt. It is what gives Ape some crucial 2HKO/OHKO potentials that are missed without it.

Very oddly, Mixed Meta (Meteor Mash/EQ/HP Fire/Grass Knot) hits all of your team for super effective damage.

The team needs some massive work, and it could be started with fixing those up. Consult Wolflare's EV spreads and think of which Pokemon you need protection against.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    DDMence massacres you especially if Swampert isn't on decent health(which it usually isn't due to being a lead). I don't like how your team is half-stall(Claydol, Forretress and Bronzong) and half-offense. Firstly Ramparados just doesn't work in OU, SR destroys his Sash and he's too slow and has the defense of a blimp, I think replacing it with ScarfTran would work due to it taking advantage of switching into Fire-attacks aimed at Forrey as well as covering some threats which mow your team down.

Heatran@ Choice Scarf
    Nature : Naive
    EV : 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
    -Explosion
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -HP Ice / Dragon Pulse

I honestly can't see what good Claydol is doing for this team. You got Light Screen from Forrey and he really isn't doing much. I would add in something like DDMence to clean-up with and it has some resistances/immunties you could use like Fighting/Ground.

Salamence@ Life Orb
    Nature : Adamant
    EV : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Dragon Dance
    -Fire Fang
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake / Stone Edge

Don't run Brave on Infernape, taking away it's Speed is not very smart. Use this set, it's basically the same. Just works better ;D

Infernape@ Life Orb
    Nature : Naive
    EV : 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
    ~ Nasty Plot
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice

Consider Explosion >>> Toxic on Bronzong, it's handy for blowing up stuff like Blissey. if you do take this advaice your final product should look like this

Swampert
    Forretress
    Salamence
    Infernape
    Heatran
    Bronzong

Good luck on this team.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    Swampert @ Leftovers

240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA

~Stealth Rock
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Earthquake
    ~Roar

K.

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Impish
    252 HP / 252 S.Def / 6 def

~Spikes
    ~Rapid Spin
    ~Earthquake
    ~Payback

The new standard for Forry and it is by far its best set. Having used Forry multiple times on my stall teams Magnezone really isnt much of a problem if you scout for it and Forry is one of those pokemon who NEEDS Leftovers recovery. Def evs are pointless as they only increase forrys defensive ability by 19%, however max sp.def increases its sp.def ability by 42%, which is huge. This lets you switch into things like Swampert etc and spin MUCH easier. Payback is pretty much a given, it OHKO's Gengar, 2hko's most Latias and 2hko's offensive Rotoms with SR up and 3HKO's defensive versions.

Rampardos @ Life Orb
    Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

~Rock Polish
    ~Earthquake
    ~Zen Headbutt
    ~Stone Edge

This seems REALLY out of place. Sash sucks to no end on ANYTHING bar leads.

Claydol @ Light Clay
    Sassy
    252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spd

~Shadow Ball/ Explosion
    ~Earthquake.
    ~Light Screen
    ~Reflect

I guess. But no stab move is lol

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Naive
    64 ATT / 252 SP.ATT / 192 SPEED

~Flamethrower
    ~Grass Knot
    ~Nasty Plot
    ~Close Combat

Yeah..

Bronzong @ Lum Berry
    Sassy
    252 HP / 86 Atk / 80 Def / 92 Spd

~Gyro Ball
    ~Hypnosis
    ~Toxic
    ~Earthquake

I guess.

Comments in bold.

Ok, my goodness. Alot of problems here, firstly this team is defensively poor and fails to something as simple as a Taunt DD Gyarados, Scizor, Lucario and a whole bunch of other top ten/ twenty pokemon eat you alive. To put this into further perspective, HP Grass LO Moltres despite being SR weak and UU 6-0's you with ease. Also what is the point in spike stacking when you dont have a ghost to block the Rapid Spin ?

You need some speed (revenge killer/something to be able to check a large number of pokes), and replace the dead weight (Zong isnt doing much here) and a solid fighting resist for this to really work.(Claydol doesnt count due to it losing to most OU fighters secondary attack moves)

I guess Spikes, Dual Screens and Rampardos/Ape is at least some sort of strategy but eh..really this team is really way too defensive and offensively lacking imo.

Last edited:

Eisen

Lord of Desert
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    Oops. I put the wrong nature down for Forretress lol. It was originally relaxed. Nonetheless, I'll take all of your suggestions into consideration. Thank you. One thing though: I personally do not like Choice Scarf, unless you're thinking that Heatran's going to be more of a sweeper whenever I happen to be able to use him. Every time I've had choice scarf on, I always get screwed over. Is there another item option (or you could provide me information which will sway me to liking choice scarf)?

Dark Azelf, what would a good revenge killer be? Kingdra is pretty powerful as far as I know and especially with dragon dance, it's pretty deadly. Or maybe Blissey?

one more thing...Does anyone happen to know of a team that CAN involve Rampardos? I'm planning on having more than one team. And yes, I do know I suck and have mostly no idea what I'm talking about in general, which is why I am here.

Anyways thanks again all.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Choice Scarf just involves some prediction, if you keep playing and eventually you'll get the swing of it. Most of the best revenge-killers in OU are Scarfed. Kingdra is a sweeper not a revenge-killer and Blissey is a supporter/wall which definetely isn't a revenge-killer.

A revenge killer is a Pokemon that is fast and can come in after something has died and pick off weakened Pokemon or threats.

If you really hate Scarf users I guess you could try Duggy but Scarfed revenge-killers are much better.

Dugtrio@ Life Orb
    Nature : Jolly
    EV : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Earthquake
    -Sucker Punch
    -Stone Edge
    -Aerial Ace / Pursuit

Ramparados could work on a Trick Room team or perhaps a BP team.

ShAdowWAlker1

wishes i could make a cool sig
    Years
    Wow seriously? lol ScarfTran IS the revenge killer, with the scarf he outspeeds almost everything and his moves give him great coverage.

So you lose someone switch in tran to kill them then switch out again depending on what your opponent sends out.

ScarfTran is basicaly the ultimate revenge killer

Eisen

Lord of Desert
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    I knew ScarfTran was a revenge killer, but you know, I'd like to have more than one option.

And for whatever reason, I was thinking that choice scarf wouldn't let you switch. Don't know how I got that idea, but whatever.

ShAdowWAlker1

wishes i could make a cool sig
    Years
    I knew ScarfTran was a revenge killer, but you know, I'd like to have more than one option.

And for whatever reason, I was thinking that choice scarf wouldn't let you switch. Don't know how I got that idea, but whatever.

Well basicaly anything with a scarf and good coverage can be a revenge killer, its just heatran is the prefered as he is really good at it.

Also you are sorta right, scarf wont let you change the move you use. Your poke is stuck on one move til it is switched out then brought back in

Eisen

Lord of Desert
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    I decided to create a new team using my original plan of Trick Room and Light screen on Rampy and created a whole team that can use it. Tell me what you think.

Hippowdon @ Lum Berry
    Impish
    252 HP / 16 Atk / 152 Def

~Ice Fang
    ~Stealth Rock
    ~Slack off
    ~Roar

I know it really doesn't have any STAB moves, but this seems to have helped me quite a bit.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Naive
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpAtk

~Flash Cannon
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Light Screen
    ~Magnet Rise

Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt for STAB (I used to only have TB, but a certain predicament with an enemy Hippowdon and Roar convinced me that I needed something else). Pretty self-explanitory overall

Slowking @ Leftovers
    Quiet
    [Own Tempo Ability]
    252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 6 SpDef

~Nasty Plot
    ~Surf
    ~Slack Off
    ~Trick Room

Slowking is just a beast. Taking out Alakazam with one surf and nasty plot makes me feel secure. My first Trick Room user

Claydol @ Light Clay
    Careful
    252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Spd

~Light Screen
    ~Earth Power
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Trick Room

No stab move yet again. I'm highly thinking of either getting rid of reflect, explosion, or both, and replacing it/them with earth power/earthquake/shadow ball (Suggestions?).

Rampardos @ Life Orb
    Brave
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd

~Earthquake
    ~Rock Slide
    ~Crunch
    ~Fire Punch

Got rid of the old focus sash and Rock Polish idea, as the overall strategy works better. Already I've been able to destroy the common Dusknoir in one move. Another good feeling. He has a wider range of pokemon he can hit, but Fighting and ground types still are a problem (Replace Fire Punch with Iron Head maybe?)

Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Relaxed
    252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 Spd

~Trick Room
    ~Gyro Ball
    ~Earthquake
    ~Light Screen

Not too sure about what to do with this one. Normally, it seems like he does nothing except help against ice/water types a little (only because they're not super-effective on him, and he has gyro ball). Should I keep him? Change his moveset?

Also, give EV spread advice. Point out any that are in need of change.

Edit: Changed Claydol's moveset

Edit 2: Wow. This team is turning out better than I expected. I've had people forfeit against me already, and have won a few times, too. It's a good thing, because I actually really like this team, too.

Last edited:
    Back