• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Extreme Artist's Block

Years
How long have you gone on having "artist's block". I put that in quotes because while I'm still able to draw stuff, I find no enjoyment in it and it makes it hard to do.

I think it's been since December of last year that I've been in this bought of depression that's stopping me from wanting to draw at all, or feeling any kind of satisfaction from doing it. This is a little bit of a vent, but it's relatable so let's talk about it.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
With the digital graphics I make, artist's block" is me opening a document, starting something, hating it, and repeating that for the next 4 or 5 hours. Then I get tired of it and close Photohop and return to it like a week or two later.

Last edited:
Years
I usually get it for months at a time and sometimes also there's selective art block where I'll touch a form of art but not do the others (it's what I'm going through rn with me always on the iPad for art and completely ignoring my tablet/traditional supplies even though I should really use them).

But yeah artist block sucks especially when. You procrastinate by drawing something else that you don't like. Oops.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
There was a period I didn't draw for nearly three years. :( I was going through some stuff and instead of turning to my greatest coping mechanism, I pushed any kind of healthy, constructive activity away. I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to "artist's block" by its conventional definition, but more like my ability to create and my motivation (and means) to do so we're completely removed.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Does six years count? ^^;

I drew a lot at the beginning of high school but stopped due to some artists in the Pokémon comics community telling me that my stories and drawings weren't good and would never be as good as theirs. It was quite candidly demoralizing and other than a doodle here and there I for the most part stopped drawing because by I lost all motivation.

It really wasn't until about a year ago that I started drawing seriously again. And even though I've faced similar criticisms from the comics community again, albeit from different authors this time, I have enough support with me this time that I won't let it stop me.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2021
I actually don't think I've ever truly experienced an art block, at least not longer than 2 months at the most. If I don't draw, it tends to be when my mood is very low and I lack motivation to do anything and everything, not just art.

AceTrainerGecx

Elite Trainer
Years
Actually in that phase at the moment, and it is hell, i don't know what to draw or how to draw it, sometimes i just have to force myself otherwise i would lose all that progresion i've worked hard at, so yeah it absolutely sucks

Back