• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fads you miss...

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Remember all the little things of years past that were considered cool for a little while than were absolutely forgotten about? Do you remember the crazes over Furbies and Tickle Me Elmos? Do you want to go back to 2001 when you could scream "Whazzzzzuppp?" or sing "Who Let the Dogs Out?" without getting strange stares? I remember a lot of old fads fondly, no matter how strange they might be...what old fads do you remember/still wish were popular/didn't like? There are too many for me to name :P

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years
    And this is where VH1 comes in--with "I Love the 90s"...coming July 12th, "I Love the 80s/Strikes Back", and "I Love the 70s". Those series are the absolute best when it comes to talking about old fads. They're going to talk about Pokemon in the 1999 episode when "I Love the 90s" premieres. I'm very interested in what they have to say about it, lol. The people interviewed on it are so funny...Michael Ian Black, Hal Sparks, Mo Rocca...and so on! I definitely miss "WHAAAAZZZZZZZZZUUUPPPPP?"...that was huge a while back. I miss a lot of fads but I can't really name 'em simply because I can't think of one off the top of my head at the moment, lol...>_<

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
    I love those VH1 series. I watched almost all of 'em. They're makin' a 90s one? I'll have to remember to watch it. I love how they go through all the old fads and stuff. The 80s was a little easier to relate to... even though I was born right at the end. The 70s one was just fun to watch.

Furbys? Why did you bring up furbys? I hate those things so much! They are so annoying! And I've been traumatized by the song "Who Let the Dogs Out." Don't ask! My sister and her friends are just really mean! Anyways... I'll have to think to come up with some old fads that I remember... I can't seem to come up with any right now...

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    lol...I actually couldn't stand Furbies or "Who Let the Dogs Out" either, but I suppose I'd been so horribly scarred by their memory they were foremost on my mind when I thought of fads :P

Arrgh! I still can't think of any...I'm going to have to rack my brain for some good ones...

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
    Furbies just annoy me! They always seem to pop up in my conversations with Jordan for some reason though. And my sister danced to that song a couple years ago. And her friends hated me for some reason... at the end they had to walk in a line off stage and turn and face the audience to say, "Who, who, who!" and they just decided to yell it as loud as possibe right in my ear. So I got revenge on my sister by kicking her when I did my dance! So when I hear that song I think of my sister's friends causing me to lose my hearing for a few seconds...

Fads...hmm. Well in like, 4th grade beanie babies were the thing to have I guess. I have so many of those things. At least 3 big boxes full. They were cute but there were so many of them. I have no place to put those boxes... they are still in my room even though I haven't taken them out in years. And in like, 6th grade gel pens were cool I guess. I don't really see what was so great about having pens that could write on black paper though. I just liked 'em since I could write in different colors! I had so many pens... I don't know where they all went though!

I'll try to think of some other fads though... that's all I could come up with right now...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    I'm completely surprised at why no one said Pokemon in a message board called "POKEMON community"

o.o?

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Ahh, beanie babies! The perfect example of a fad...I admit I got caught up in those right before the fad peaked in 1997-1999 or around there. Won two in a raffle at my local McDonalds :P I quite possibly have 400 or more, and I don't even want to think how much money I threw away on those things...everyone around me was crazy about them, and the thing is my parents sort of forced me to collect them...I think they were somehow trying to fulfill some crazy collecting fantasy through me, as they are avid collectors of all sorts of things themselves...even when I wanted to quit, they somehow guilted me into buying more o_O;; I'm out of those now, I have been for a long time...I'm glad I don't collect them anymore, the unfortunate thing is they're all worthless...but yeah, I do remember when people were crazy for those :P

I've thought of two major food/drink fads too...colored ketchup and Pepsi Crystal come to mind...they were cool for a little while, then they just disappeared. I never tried either of them (heck, I barely remember Pepsi Crystal...) but I know they were all the rage for a little while...

Jess

Banned
    Years
    Beanie Babies? Since when were they dead? I own ALOT of em... I have like 6 Catalogs of them too..XD

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I think beanie babies have all retreated to the dark, dank recesses of your local Hallmarks and Flea Markets :P They used to be everywhere you looked, but they disappeared from most places o_O

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
    Chairman Kaga said:
    Ahh, beanie babies! The perfect example of a fad...I admit I got caught up in those right before the fad peaked in 1997-1999 or around there. Won two in a raffle at my local McDonalds :P I quite possibly have 400 or more, and I don't even want to think how much money I threw away on those things...everyone around me was crazy about them, and the thing is my parents sort of forced me to collect them...I think they were somehow trying to fulfill some crazy collecting fantasy through me, as they are avid collectors of all sorts of things themselves...even when I wanted to quit, they somehow guilted me into buying more o_O;; I'm out of those now, I have been for a long time...I'm glad I don't collect them anymore, the unfortunate thing is they're all worthless...but yeah, I do remember when people were crazy for those :P

I've thought of two major food/drink fads too...colored ketchup and Pepsi Crystal come to mind...they were cool for a little while, then they just disappeared. I never tried either of them (heck, I barely remember Pepsi Crystal...) but I know they were all the rage for a little while...
    I definitely fell into the beanie babies fad! I had so many of 'em. And I still have them all too. But I don't know what to do with all of them. My parents kinda forced me to collect them too. My dad would always get them for me... and has given me some within a year I think. But I really don't care anymore.. I just put them in boxes that'll sit in my room for years... I never throw or sell anything!

Colored ketchup scared me! I hated that stuff... it was a different texture than regular ketchup... and coloring it made it less apetizing for some reason. Especially in green and purple. That was weird... but it obviously didn't last long. I don't know what Pepsi Crystal is though... I don't recall ever hearing about that...

100marios

Reigning Dork Champion of PC
    Years
    snowangel3181988 said:
    Furbies just annoy me! They always seem to pop up in my conversations with Jordan for some reason though. And my sister danced to that song a couple years ago. And her friends hated me for some reason... at the end they had to walk in a line off stage and turn and face the audience to say, "Who, who, who!" and they just decided to yell it as loud as possibe right in my ear. So I got revenge on my sister by kicking her when I did my dance! So when I hear that song I think of my sister's friends causing me to lose my hearing for a few seconds...

Fads...hmm. Well in like, 4th grade beanie babies were the thing to have I guess. I have so many of those things. At least 3 big boxes full. They were cute but there were so many of them. I have no place to put those boxes... they are still in my room even though I haven't taken them out in years. And in like, 6th grade gel pens were cool I guess. I don't really see what was so great about having pens that could write on black paper though. I just liked 'em since I could write in different colors! I had so many pens... I don't know where they all went though!

I'll try to think of some other fads though... that's all I could come up with right now...
    It's not my fault hehe...
    I remember that Furbies were always really cool before you get them. Afterwards, you just want to strangle them hehe...

Ah, the beanie babies! I had tons of those! I remember with the more recent set that came from McDonalds, I used to eat there everyday. Embarrassingly enough, the employees at my local McDonalds started to recognize me.
    "Hey! You're the kid who always asks for the Beanie Babies!"
    My other friend was into them also, so we would often bring our bunches over and play with eachother. Sometimes we would even make them battle like Pokemon hehe, giving each of them their own special attacks and moves, and deciding the battle with a coin toss. I remember I loved Bongo the monkey hehe...

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    dead fads eh?

How about Tomagatchis/Giga Pets/ whatever other knock-off brands there were back in 1997-1998. I had quite a few of those, but after a while, me and my friend had contests to see how quickly we could kill them. Those were fun days...

I also remember liking the Macarena from 1997 a lot (maybe because it was the only Dance I could do then and is still the only Dance I can do). I have to admit, I still liked that song when it was fading out...I thought it was cool.

A slightly more recent one is the Pok?mon TCG that was big at the same time as Beanie Babies. It declined before Beanie Babies faded out though. And I sometimes heard Beanie Baby fans insult me for "collecting a piece of cardboard with Pikachu on it". To witch I replied, "At least I can play a game with these cards, you're Beanie Baby is just a fancy beanbag."
    No offense to people who still collect Beanie Babies...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Hehe... tamagotchis... I killed my uncle's back when I was a cute little boy ^_^;

hmm... o.o;
    *has no clue what are half of these fads are... like coke? colored ketchup? huh?*

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
    100marios said:
    It's not my fault hehe...
    I remember that Furbies were always really cool before you get them. Afterwards, you just want to strangle them hehe...

Ah, the beanie babies! I had tons of those! I remember with the more recent set that came from McDonalds, I used to eat there everyday. Embarrassingly enough, the employees at my local McDonalds started to recognize me.
    "Hey! You're the kid who always asks for the Beanie Babies!"
    My other friend was into them also, so we would often bring our bunches over and play with eachother. Sometimes we would even make them battle like Pokemon hehe, giving each of them their own special attacks and moves, and deciding the battle with a coin toss. I remember I loved Bongo the monkey hehe...
    Well it most certainly isn't my fault either! But somehow... kinda like now... we always end up with them in our conversations. It's weird! But yeah, you want one but then you get one and you want to get rid of it ASAP! I took the batteries outta ours. They were getting annoying...

I used to get those mini beanie babies from McDonalds too. I have a bunch of those. My best friend at the time had tons of beanie babies. Her dad would get them from somebody that he worked with I think. So she had so many of them! I have a lot too... but nowhere near as many as she did. I think I have Bongo the monkey... maybe. It might be my sister that had him though. I don't know! I have so many! But I know one of us has it...

I still don't remember this Pepsi Crystal... oh well. I guess that must've died really fast!

Tamagotchis! I was gonna bring those up next! Those were "cool" when I was in 4th grade! I remember seeing one for the first time at my best friend's sleepover party. Some girl that I don't like had one. I eventually got a giga pet dog. Those were really annoying too... furbys were worse though. The problem with tamagotchis was that we weren't allowed to bring them to school... so by the time we got home they would be dead! But some people would bring them to school anyways. One thing that I hated about those were that they used those really small batteries. I would always have to send my dad to the store to get 'em for me since I didn't have any of those...

The macarena? That song was annoying too. They would play that at every dance type thing I had to go to. It was an easy dance to do sure, but I always found it really strange and annoying... I guess a lot of things annoy me!

Scyther5

One DEAD GUTTED Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    Well, I kinda miss that yoyo fad they had. Remember with all those cool yoyos? Hmm well I dont miss beenie babies but they are cetainly dead around here. And I kind miss the digimon fad, even though I only watched the first series.

100marios

Years
    tmbjr said:
    dead fads eh?

How about Tomagatchis/Giga Pets/ whatever other knock-off brands there were back in 1997-1998. I had quite a few of those, but after a while, me and my friend had contests to see how quickly we could kill them. Those were fun days...

I also remember liking the Macarena from 1997 a lot (maybe because it was the only Dance I could do then and is still the only Dance I can do). I have to admit, I still liked that song when it was fading out...I thought it was cool.

A slightly more recent one is the Pok?mon TCG that was big at the same time as Beanie Babies. It declined before Beanie Babies faded out though. And I sometimes heard Beanie Baby fans insult me for "collecting a piece of cardboard with Pikachu on it". To witch I replied, "At least I can play a game with these cards, you're Beanie Baby is just a fancy beanbag."
    No offense to people who still collect Beanie Babies...
    I still like the Macarena! For... many of the same reasons you stated hehe...
    Hey, Macarena!
    *folds arms and bows head*

I was wondering if anyone would bring the tomagotchi fad up hehe....
    I never really got into them, I'm not really sure why. The interesting thing is, back then, they were about 20 dollars for each one, but now you can get them from those fifty cents machines! Boy how times change...

I remember we used to get those purple and green colored ketchups. Even though it was supposed to taste the same, for some reason it seemed to give off a different taste then the red one, at least to me.

Years
    omg... i HATE the macaranea. that is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying.
    i wish this dave chappelle fad would die... im not rick james!
    Also this thing with izzle has plagued my school. izzle shizzle anoyingizzle! fo shizzle!

100marios

Years
    snowangel3181988 said:
    Well it most certainly isn't my fault either! But somehow... kinda like now... we always end up with them in our conversations. It's weird! But yeah, you want one but then you get one and you want to get rid of it ASAP! I took the batteries outta ours. They were getting annoying...

I used to get those mini beanie babies from McDonalds too. I have a bunch of those. My best friend at the time had tons of beanie babies. Her dad would get them from somebody that he worked with I think. So she had so many of them! I have a lot too... but nowhere near as many as she did. I think I have Bongo the monkey... maybe. It might be my sister that had him though. I don't know! I have so many! But I know one of us has it...

I still don't remember this Pepsi Crystal... oh well. I guess that must've died really fast!

Tamagotchis! I was gonna bring those up next! Those were "cool" when I was in 4th grade! I remember seeing one for the first time at my best friend's sleepover party. Some girl that I don't like had one. I eventually got a giga pet dog. Those were really annoying too... furbys were worse though. The problem with tamagotchis was that we weren't allowed to bring them to school... so by the time we got home they would be dead! But some people would bring them to school anyways. One thing that I hated about those were that they used those really small batteries. I would always have to send my dad to the store to get 'em for me since I didn't have any of those...

The macarena? That song was annoying too. They would play that at every dance type thing I had to go to. It was an easy dance to do sure, but I always found it really strange and annoying... I guess a lot of things annoy me!
    I know. I never said it was your fault hehe... it just happens I guess!
    Our Furby broke when we left it (that, or my parents hated it as much as I did and left it on purpose hehe) at Utah one year and my grandparents shipped it back to us. I can't sayy I was exactly mourning over it when we recieved it back broken hehe...

I loved Bongo the monkey and Twigs the giraffe! They made the best team hehe...
    Those times were fun..... even though I used tons of money on those little things, it's fun to recall these things...

Back