• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Actually I've learned about fractional exponents loooooong ago. But I'm a grammar ****, not a math ****. ;3

And I'm two grades ahead in math, so I'm not bad at it XD

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Katsuro said:
    But I'm a grammar ****, not a math ****. ;3

That is grammatically incorrect because it is lacking a verb. ^_^ *wins again*

O.o; "****?" What are you trying to say there...

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    I don't think you want to know. Then again, I have no clue either...

Why not Happy Holidays? o.o;; Is my speech also limited?

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    Well, I've been having a bit of a hard time writing recently, even though school is over for me. I'm picking up now, though, with all those Type Chart chapters, Curse and now I'm getting on with chapter 29 of The Quest for the Legends...

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Frostweaver said:
    That is grammatically incorrect because it is lacking a verb. ^_^ *wins again*

O.o; "****?" What are you trying to say there...
    Hmmm...last time I checked "am" is a verb, and since I used "I'm" a contraction of "I am" and having the same functionality of it, A verb was included in the subject.

And I said izan but apparently that's banned. Read that backwards~

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    I've got on a funny one-shot (which I won't be putting up until sometime part three of HMW is up), and I've started on the next chapter of HMW.

However, I don't think I'll get to it by the time Christmas comes because of the fact I'll playing my soon-to-be DS laziness, so I'm going to work on it for the next two days.

As for the "N" word... well, I kinda figured it out myself.

The Happy Holidays thing... actually, it makes a lot more sense since there are practically three holidays going on at this time of year. :P

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    The "but" makes all the difference. It's a conjunction, so that means "But I'm a grammar ****" is clicking to another independent clause elsewhere. Of course, the other clause isn't a complete sentence. ;p

Oh the happy holiday thing... there's a thread on it over in OC already and I really don't want to type the same essay twice. I really need to do my homework and study right now, and I don't want to get my blood boil over the big company's actions about that -_-;

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas! Happy One-Sided-Kindness Capitalist Day!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    lol I know ^^; That's why I actually have a sudden though about how Pokemon World handles the topic of "correctness." XD; Someone needs to write on that.

<><><>
    (at some broadcasted tournaments)

Trainer 1: Go Pikachu! Use your electric attack to knock out the remaining health within that Cloyster!

(Trainer 1 defeats Cloyster)

<><><>

(next day)

Trainer 1: What? Why am I disqualified for the finals?

Officials: I'm sorry, but we received countless phone calls from audiences across Kanto being offended by your destructive language. Many are shocked at your usage of "Hit points" and "Thunderbolt," not "health" and "electric attack." For the security of our audience, I'm afraid that you cannot move on to the finals.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    I'm still writing. Actually, I wrote up some stuff for my 'fic last night. The old fashioned way, too. By hand. *weeps for computer deprivation*

There's a one-shot that I really have to finish by the first of January. *nod* I'll be working on that over vacation.

Oh, I'm not in school anymore, though.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    *pokes Fanfic Lounge dead body*

Notice how sometimes Pokemon that got no gender in the game are always somehow given gender in a fanfic? It's especially true for legendaries... such as male Mewtwo, female Mew, female Celebi, and etc... how do you handle legendaries' genders?

[complaint of the day: Why does Articuno have to be female? ;_;]

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    I usually go by the game's rules of Pokemon having gender, so that would mean that I wouldn't give the legendaries (or non-gender Pokemon) any gender at all.

Then again, the genders in the game are only for breeding and stuff like Attract.

Speaking of Attract...
    When a Pokemon uses the move in a fic, should it affect opposite gender Pokemon in the same breeding group as the attack or just opposite gender Pokemon in general?

Negrek

Years
    I always give genders to the legendaries, but don't to most other non-gender pokemon. I have trouble envisioning a magnemite at a gender, but at the same time I find it hard to think of the legendaries as being without one. But I make all the legendary birds male; articuno doesn't strike me as feminine.

I think that, logically, attract would only work on pokemon within the same breeding group. It would depend upon how you envisioned the attack working. If you had it be through some natural means like pheremones or something, you would expect it to only work on pokemon actually able to breed with the user. If you tried to do it through some sort of glamor or mind control or magic spell, I could see it working on pretty much anything.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Attract should only work on opposite genders in the same egg group, but then it's only for balance issues that attract works on all egg groups, as long as it's the opposite gender. Attract is already an inferior Confuse Ray. Since it doesn't work on Metagross and the legendaries already, it's already a pretty bad move. To increase its usability in order for Attract to redeem itself, the producers have to make Attract more friendly to use, and that means cross-egg group attract (even that, attract is still pretty bad. Why can't they just make confuse ray in that slot... guess they just want genders to be more significant.)

Negrek, you'll be surprised how I'm constantly misunderstood as lying as a guy but is actually a girl just because I like Articuno the most, and some other "highly feminine Pokemon" such as Chikorita, Dragonair -_-; (Quagsire and Wobbuffet are "male" ones that I like. Dewgong is pretty easy to say that it's easy to envision male Dewgongs and female Dewgongs, so that's safe for me too...)

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    Well, the way I think of it, legendaries are genderless, period. Why? Well, they're one-of-a-kind in everything I write. Wouldn't make sense for them to have any 'parts'. And thus, they have no gender at all.

On the other hand, they like to call each other, and be referred to as, either 'he' or 'she'. To some of them it doesn't especially matter which it is. Others will explicitly say they'd rather have one used than the other. Most of the legendaries like to be called 'he', simply because for no particular reason I like to think of most of them as 'male'. In fact... I don't think there are any I especially like to think of as female. =/ Most of the "typically female" legendaries are just genderless in my mind, including Mew, Celebi, Suicune, etc... and a couple even definitely seem male to me for some reason.

If that helps, Frosty, you're not alone: I too always think of Articuno as male. :P

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Notice how if "cuteness" generally doesn't exist in a Pokemon, such Pokemon that is water, ice and/or grass type will be classified as female? Seems like somehow water, ice and/or grass are "female types" more than all the others...

(ex: I don't think people think Suicune as cute and cuddly and adorable, but more "cool," and "cool" is usually a relatively more masculin adjective. Yet, Suicune is put into the female pile... um, why?)

Negrek

Years
    Yeah, I guess the legendaries in my stories are technically all genderless because they don't reproduce either, really, but people refer to them by genders simply because it makes them easier to relate to. The legendaries themselves tend to do it out of habit. The exception is the regis, which are essentially manmade.

The only legendaries I refer to as female are Latias, Suicune, and Mew. The reason that I portray Suicune as female is because that's the way I've always seen it; it's sorta the shape of the face and the cloud-thing on its back, which sort of look likes long, flowing tresses. Or whatever. Also, the way it moves seems to suggest something feminine to me--I wouldn't call it "cool," I would call it "graceful."

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    The lounge is kinda dead...

Anyway, a while ago, I came across this in another forum:

Another fan fic mod at the forum I mentioned said:
    My mentor (whether she knows it or not), Farla, had posted this little quiz to determine the necessity of a fan-created Pok?mon in a work. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Farla said:
    Could normal pokemon fit into the same roles? If so, add a point to your score.
    Is there any explanation for the new pokemon? If not, add a point.
    Did you just make them up because you wanted show how creative and great you are? If so, add a point.
    Did you just make them up because you wanted the characters in the story to be unbeatable? If so, add a point.

Now, let's see how you scored:

0-1 point(s): Alright then. Looks like you know what you're doing after all.
    2-3 points: You may want to reconcider putting your Pok?mon in your story.
    4 points: Try replacing your Pok?mon with a regular Pok?mon (which appear in the games). Trust me on this one.

This may be just me, but I think the quiz should be put in the writing guide so that newbie writers could see whether or not their made-up Pokemon are worth having in the story.

Any other thoughts on that quiz?

Negrek

Years
    Who on earth referred to Farla as their mentor? *deeply curious*

Mmm, I'm not really a big huge fan of the Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu tests and their incarnations. I agree with about half of this quiz.

First, the question of whether another pok?mon would fill the desired role. I guess I just don't understand that one too well--after all, couldn't beautifly fill almost the exact same role as butterfree? And yet, it was created.

Second, the idea that the fake needs explanation. In many cases I suppose that's true, but when working with a new region, what sort of explanation would you need? Wouldn't the fact that you were in a new and unexplored region be explanation in and of itself enough?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back