• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    It would work better if it was given its own website, so the "go to"s could be simple hyperlinks.

I'm actually a bit inclined to agree. That way, it's a bit more organized. The thing is with choose-your-own adventures is, as Asty said in that one thread, you've got to keep in mind multiple storylines with multiple possibilities. Basically, think of it as a tree, where you start off at a trunk and keep going up and up and up. Alternate choices bring about alternate choices to the point where each ending shouldn't be the same as each other. People are going to be curious about the decision not being picked and presented, so it might be easier to have an entire website so visitors could do things like open up tabs and see where each path goes, then go back and go down another one, if that makes sense.

Oddly enough, Writing.com has a lot of stories like this in their interactive category. Maybe it might give people out there a better idea of what I mean.

Also, inclined to agree with txt about the log. XD; Sorry, guys.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    XD Yeah I think that is why I included the moral portion of my choices, so as to definitely keep me on track with how the story is going... For all I know, the character will never solve their amnesia.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    XD Yeah I think that is why I included the moral portion of my choices,
    Reminds me of that game, Black and White 2.

Seriously though, it looks good, I can't wait to see where this is heading. Personally though, I hope the characters moral compass swings all the way south *evil laugh*.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I've already given a few hints as to where it has gone, but the evidence, is probably self-evident XD in some respects. But now that we have chosen some options only part of the storyline has been delayed so to speak XD

Though from now on, I don't think I will drop hints of what if's in the event you did not chose a certain outcome (not that I wanted any particular one, but rather that the choices were all planned out).

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    :P Just look at the importance of each decision in a almost over-analyzed manner XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    I see, I'm doing it right now *puts on glasses to analyze*.

"Okay how about _____?"

a) Sparks
    b) Demon
    c) Ignatius
    d) Other name, provide your own idea of a nick, as well as a good reason
    e) "On second thought, I like 'Charmander' as is."

Note: No reason needs to be given for your choice, except if you choose option D.
    A would mean the character wasn't very creative and preferred speedy attacks and Pokemon.
    B would imply that he's agressive and doesn't like to lose.
    C would show that he was well learned and intelligent before he got amnesia.
    D Relies on otherworldly figures to aid him on his path.
    E No creativity, lazy or couldn't be bothered

"Are there people in that house, I hope they weren't the ones who gave me the amnesia, but maybe it's a nice family, if anyone is even there, maybe they can help. But maybe the lake has fish though?" You contemplate to yourself.

Do you:

a)Go to the house, but don't knock, and take whatever you can
    b)Knock on their door and get help if possible
    c)Go to the lake and forage

Note: Please give a reason as to why you chose the particular one you did.
    If they chose A it would mean they're the possibly aggressive one who can take care of himself. B would show that he's weak and needs help or that he's a clever manipulator and will pull the family into his dreaded psychological answering game. C would show how he is independent and does not rely on people, it also shows that he doesn't think too far ahead on how to cook the fish.

That's it for my over analyzing. Can't wait for the next chap.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Haha nicely done, while of course you'd have to take the plot of the decisions into effect, you have the right idea. I should have the next part up within the hour I think.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Great, I'll wait for it. Hope to see how the family reacts to the boy in a monks robe. *keeps fingers crossed for something unexpected to happen*

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Hmmm did I say it was a boy? (genuine question) If I did I'll change that. I've tried to make it as androgynous as possible. THough this portion I am writing now, makes it sound like the character is a male. Of course it is not mentioned but almost

ooooooooo wait a sec.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I'm trying to emulate the reader XD (Like that the reader is the character)

btw, added a new bit. :)

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    hehehehe interesting interesting, perhaps I'll try to write something by tonight.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I took a look at your thread, Feign, and what it reminds me of is a one-on-one roleplay. The story remains frozen until you respond to the person's choices.

You're essentially co-authoring, where it's you working with whomever decides to participate in the thread. They chose the plot, and you write everything. It will work better than the other attempt because you won't have to come up with responses to three or four different choices.

I will say though that you should really spend more time focusing on getting the grammar straight than posting as fast as you can. This might just be me being petty, but pages upon pages of basic grammar errors will not make me want to participate. It is what stopped me from participiating in the one role play that I did, that was done in the same way.*

You should also try not to automatically make all the decisions for the characters. Big decisions, like cake or death, should be left up to the reader (I can't say readers because only one person can respond). Some small decisions can be done by you, but if they affect the plot/characterization in any way, then again I say that the reader needs to make the choice.

Still, I haven't seen a choose-your-own adventure fanfic done well at all on a forum. One reason is because they are so hard to pull off, because the person behind them doesn't always feel like waiting for people to respond, or might hate the decision that a reader makes. Then again, it might keep the story interesting to the author, because they never know what will happen next, and that's always a good thing.

So maybe yours will actually be one of the few forum-based choose-your-own-adventure fics that will actually work.

Except for the grammar. Tense switches and improperly punctuated dialogue throough me right out of a story, which is why I'm harping on it.

*Yes, I know that one of the Internet laws is that when pointing out someone's grammar, you're bound to make a mistake yourself. Let me just say that I am typing on a bad keyboard, I can't face the computer monitor and I'm tired.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Haha, thanks Asti, yeah I'm so used to writing in past tense. I'd put the blame on my history essays but that will not suffice XD

I guess I will also have to find a balance between length and choice, because I don't want it to be too small, but I also want people to make critical choices.

Hmmm perhaps if I as the author make the choices of the character determined by the character's current moral compass?

But indeed, harp all you need, cause I wanted to challenge myself (either that or I was intensely bored. Damn you work, and your work hours!).

EDIT: Okay, I think I got a good portion of the grammatical errors.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Hmmm perhaps if I as the author make the choices of the character determined by the character's current moral compass?
    That would definitely work. You would get an idea of what the character generally "chooses" to do based on previous choices. Unless someone makes a truly bizarre choice for the laughs that would come from it, then you can begin to see a set pattern.

Also, you're getting a good look into the minds of PFF users. Scary what you can do with the new information.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    hehehehe indeed XD

To get around the bizarre choices, I've asked as apart of choosing abc etc that they provide a reason. That way if it is legitimized than I could proceed with it. :)

But that is why I have also been dropping hints in the storyline, so that at this point the character can swing either way. Since so far his moral compass has slightly changed.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    It's been a few hours since anyone had anything interesting to say...

Well then, while I was rummaging through the PC archives (old threads and posts), I found this.
    It's a translated version of Soara-san's work on Pokesho. Translated by Yamato-san and Grimsg.

It's best if you view it in the html mode then copypaste the pictures link into your browser URL.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-58324.html

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back