• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
  • Casual Billy said:
    If you need another mod, though, I'll do it.

If that wish is indeed fulfilled, I will pray for your mental stability.

Character is probably the most important. If the characters are set out right, then the other 4 elements of the story will make themselves pretty obvious.

Casual Billy

Wargreymon: Miracle Mega
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    If that wish is indeed fulfilled, I will pray for your mental stability.

Heh, that's been gone for a while now. *does cabbage patch for nothin' to lose*

What do you all prefer in a fic; a character that changes by the end of the story or one that stays the same throughout? Do you find one more fulfilling than the other, or do each have their merits?

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • My characters aren't really pinned down. Like a lot of other things I do, I just sort of bungle my way through by the feel of it. Characters of mine say things and do things and respond in certain ways because I think that they would, not because I have them pinned down as being one way or another when I start.

Truly, I like dynamic characters better than static characters. Which is what makes rewriting The Ninetales' Curse hard; Katherine is intentionally static, but somehow I have to make her interesting and true-to-life, because she is what most people would pick out as the main character.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Static and dynamic are equally interesting to me. It all depends on how it is done. There are definite situations where a static character is by far a much better choice than a dynamic one. For example, a static character demonstrates the effect of the outer world/outer pressure a lot better than a dynamic character.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    nearly all characters I see manage to change in some way, it's how character development usually works. However, would an example of an unchanging character be.... say.... Alucard from Hellsing? From what I recall, he doesn't actually develop. Instead, he's a powerful, demonic guardian at the beginning of the story, and he's a powerful, demonic guardian at the end of the story. What makes him interesting, though, was that there were so many existing secrets and background behind him, so while his personality pretty much stayed intact the whole way through, the audience is learning what aspects of him are already there as the story progresses. Mind you, I haven't read the manga, which I hear is longer than the anime, so I wouldn't know if Alucard's personality develops in that.

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
  • I really feel horrible now.

But I'm leaving, as you can see from my demodded state. Life's a whole grand turmoil.

Sorry, Niko. Sorry, authors. Sorry, frost. xx

Bye then!

:( Bye then, Lily.

I've made slight fun of myself by saying that if I were writing a murder mystery, I'd first put in a bunch of suspicious characters and circumstances, and then when I'm halfway through the story I'd start trying to figure out the mystery myself. x3

I am the EXACT same way. Seriously. No fic I start has an actual plot. Well, save one... But I don't think I've ever done 'prewriting' in my life.

What do you all prefer in a fic; a character that changes by the end of the story or one that stays the same throughout? Do you find one more fulfilling than the other, or do each have their merits?

We talked about that in English last year, static versus dynamic characters. Dynamic are usually better, rounder, more realistic, but a static character can have it's merits if used properly and very sparingly. If all of your characters are static, you have an issue. But in the same way, some people are stoic and really won't be outwardly affected by things.

MasterMan

MasterMan Of Light
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2006
    here is what i ffinished of

The MewTox Project

The Mewtox project starts off Right after Ash finished the Joto leage
    (srry for my spelling) and him and misty and brock are just walking in a feild and there dead silent then well the camera is suposed to switch to a laboritory and theres MEWTOX in a fluid chamber (like in DBZ)!!!!!! Then Giovani starts wlking tword the chamber and stares at mewtox.
    This is what mewtox likes like in this
    Fanfiction Lounge
    but i Have him eddited in a fluid chamber/or/recover chamber. And mewtox wakes up and that scanner thing on his face turns silver. And then this happens
    Fanfiction Lounge

but the words are better. and mewtox sets off to find Ash.

and then mewtox locates Ash after this jurny throgh Hoen regin and Launches a missle!!!!!!! Ash Sees the missle and jumps away but Misty and brock get killed (dont worry theres no blood at all) and ash turns around and see's there dead and theve been blown up! and then Also See's that Pikachu is missing TO!!!!!!(pikachu's not dead)and then MEWTOX hits those too Metal stuff on his hands together and turns to

PYROTEW
    Fanfiction Lounge

and starts Blowing Fire At ASH!!!!!! but ash stills dodges him and ash starts running them Pyrotew hits his fire hands together and says AQUATEW and turns to this
    Fanfiction Lounge
    and Aqua tew Makes a GIGANTIC WAVE of WATER out of ABSOLUTELY NOWERE!!!!!! and ash gets fludded And goes with the water and falls into a River and drifts off Mewtox Transforms Back to normal and out of No Were its Dark and Mewtox looks at the moon
    Fanfiction Lounge

and thats all i have done so far!

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Casual Billy said:
    I'm just kidding, I don't know what I'm talking about. If you need another mod, though, I'll do it.
    You realise asking/offering/blatantly implying you want to be modded reduces your chances of modding to about 0.00000000000000000015%? ;D

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
  • Act said:
    That's a tough one. Usually I just come up with a name, a reason for existence, and let the personalities make themselves. Having OCs that have kids is really difficult. It's so tempting to have them be exact clones of their parents. My characters are pretty real to me, so they all end up different, but my creative process is very, very odd.

If I don't like a character, I tend to forget they exist (not on purpose-- it just sort of happens). On the other hand, some characters who I personally dislike are fun to use. I get aggrivated by my own characters. Is that odd?
    Ugh, children, the second(or is it third?) bane of authors. XD

And no, it's not odd. I get aggrivated by close to half my characters, but they're the better ones, soo... XD
    lilbluecorsola said:
    Eh? 'Tis my first time posting in this thread, I'm sure. o.o;

To keep this from being a SPAMmy post, I shall reply to the current topic.

Question: The development of your characters. When you first think of them. Do you stick them in right away with the hope that they're good enough, or do you spend more time musing upon them?

I rarely make up my own characters. I just try to develop on those already existing, mainly characters from the Anim?. So far I've only made up one character in my One-Shot series(I think), and that would be Amber, who just came to me at an oportune time, so I stuck her in to the story. I also have another character in mind who will appear eventually in a later story, but yeah, I have to spend some more time musing on her before I'm ready.
    Uh, I think I posted on one of your threads. Yeah, it was, uh, 'Through the eyes of a n00b'. XD
    LilyPichu said:
    I really feel horrible now.

But I'm leaving, as you can see from my demodded state. Life's a whole grand turmoil.

Sorry, Niko. Sorry, authors. Sorry, frost. xx

Bye then!
    Adios. XP Now we'll hafta find another moddess. XD

She's left uuuuus in the bluuuuuesss, now we be saaaaaad, 'cause weah in da bluuuuuesss... XD

Seriously, see ya. Don't be afraid to call for help in the PCFFLounge, we're always willing to beat up n00bs, offer advice, lift the spirit, etc. XD 8D
    Kylie-Chan said:
    You realise asking/offering/blatantly implying you want to be modded reduces your chances of modding to about 0.00000000000000000015%? ;D
    Oooh, it's teh Kylie-Chan. XD

MasterMan, you should take that over to the Art section and put it in the Comics area. We only do novel-like stuff here, not Great Illustrated Classics. XD MewTox, any relation to MewPox? Or MewLox? No offence, but I think we should alert the government. In case, y'know, one of their, like, cool projects got away. XD

SilverBlaze09

Last edited:

Casual Billy

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    Kylie-chan said:

Oh noes! I didn't realize that, but I was just offering my help in case they needed it. It's not that important.

We talked about that in English last year, static versus dynamic characters. Dynamic are usually better, rounder, more realistic, but a static character can have it's merits if used properly and very sparingly. If all of your characters are static, you have an issue. But in the same way, some people are stoic and really won't be outwardly affected by things.

Yeah, my angle was, what if i write a fic with a character who doesn't change during the timeline of the story, but instead, the story includes an explanation of how they got to the point at which they are. Is that just as interesting?

lilbluecorsola

~¤Sea Priestess¤~
    Years
  • SilverBlaze09, I just meant that I haven't posted in this Fanfiction Lounge before. ^^;

Lili, you're leaving? ;.; Why? *sniff* I shall miss you... You'll still be on at SPPf?

I do like it when a character changes throughout the story. It makes them seem much more real and human. (Even if they're not exactly human, if you know what I mean.) I find static characters rather dull and uninteresting.

P.S. Could someone pleasepleaseplease reply to my latest One-Shot? T.T I didn't receive a single review on the last one either.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Casual Billy said:
    Oh noes! I didn't realize that, but I was just offering my help in case they needed it. It's not that important.
    "Realise" is the British spelling. Don't correct what is already correct. :P

Casual Billy

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    Dragonfree said:
    "Realise" is the British spelling. Don't correct what is already correct. :P

Kylie's Australian, though. They prolly spell it "realise" over there, too, though.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Kylie-chan said:

It'll be quite funny to let those who ask to be mod be mods though. Then they can see how it is like to mod and how hard it is to not suck at it, while trying to please the majority, in the process ;p

According to Lily, she is quitting all forums... hopefully she will still get on MSN =(

Casual Billy

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    Yeah, I'd imagine modding is stressful.

so why does it say at the bottom of the page, "Log out Casual Billy". That sounds too imperative. Can the mods make that a question? It's quite rude as it is now, imo.

I'm just kidding (but if it gets done, it wouldn't hurt), but i really do have something to ask the occupiers of the lounge. Are there any references that you've snuck into a fic that you thought were cool. Like political references, social references, old television program references, or whatever. Just something you felt oddly compelled to pay homage to by giving it mention in your fic?

klaus

I know, i'm sexy.
    Years
  • This is my first fic, here anyway. My other's are at Serebii. Well, this one is sort of like the Stepford Wives. Only, it's pokemon related. It's called Redford One:Perfection,Friend or Foe.

I hope you people like it.

As always, be kind to the mime.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Casual Billy said:
    but i really do have something to ask the occupiers of the lounge. Are there any references that you've snuck into a fic that you thought were cool. Like political references, social references, old television program references, or whatever. Just something you felt oddly compelled to pay homage to by giving it mention in your fic?

You mean, an allusion? It's a common device used in many stories. Most modern literature uses one in some way or another. Some allusion are so commonly used in English that it is forgotton as an allusion, although it is an allusion. The best example is snakes/serpents. Snakes are not only a symbol, but it's beyond a symbol into allusion of the biblical devil. The same applies to thunder (Zeus/God's intervention), and boxes of all kinds that aren't meant to be opened (Greek tale of Pandora).

As for political/social references, the cold war and anything related to the times of "oh my gosh those communists are here" are used pretty consistently. For the very current stories, of course the Iraq incident is used the most. Many political bodies in today's fanfic love to send in tanks/robots to run over anything they don't like to see in the name of freedom too. Hmm... wonder what kind of an allusion is that?

Our lounge does need more fanfic reviewers... =/ I am still trying to work on my battle fanfic story, and hopefully I will get that finished very soon.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
  • lilbluecorsola said:
    SilverBlaze09, I just meant that I haven't posted in this Fanfiction Lounge before. ^^;
    And I meant that you might have seen me around. ;D *stomps around dribbling chocolate crumbs*
    frostweaver said:
    According to Lily, she is quitting all forums...
    I understand the sentiment. XP At least we'll have her one-shots to remember her by. 8D
    Klaus said:
    This is my first fic, here anyway. My other's are at Serebii. Well, this one is sort of like the Stepford Wives. Only, it's pokemon related. It's called Redford One:Perfection,Friend or Foe.

I hope you people like it.

As always, be kind to the mime.
    Oh, no. *bangs head on keyboard* You're bringing that Maxie fic here? We're all doomed. XD

Hiya, Klaus. XD Beware, people, this guy enjoys screwing with your head. XD
    frostweaver said:
    Many political bodies in today's fanfic love to send in tanks/robots to run over anything they don't like to see in the name of freedom too. Hmm... wonder what kind of an allusion is that?
    Probably yet another Bush-bashing allusion. XD

I know what you mean, though, whenever a government is in a FanFic, it means war somewhere. Or rebellion. XP XD
    Our lounge does need more fanfic reviewers...
    That is the truth. But, what to do?

Question: Do you have the once-in-a-lifetime characters that you just can't get along without, so you put them in as many of your fics as possible?

Mine is Lord Veryl Secksay. The name says it all. XD

?SilverBlaze09?

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    SilverBlaze09 said:
    Question: Do you have the once-in-a-lifetime characters that you just can't get along without, so you put them in as many of your fics as possible?

I guess now's the time to mention a bit more of the stories I plan to do after PMC.... I like Kiryuu so much that I intend to give him his own spin-off series. It'll be titled 伝説の軍師キリュウ "Densetsu no Gunshi Kiryuu" (Legendary Tactician Kiryuu). Other than that, I'll only use my characters in cameos, not an extremely huge role in the story or anything (BTW, it's worth noting that chapter 16 of PMC contained a cameo. I wonder if anyone here might be familiar with it).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back