• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite buff so far?

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Years
  • By that, I mean an old Pokemon getting something new that could help it be more usable. Yes, Alolan forms count in my book if you consider one of them a huge improvement.

I'm sure many people are aware of this, but Flygon got access to Dragon Dance this generation. Maybe this'll be enough for it to compete with Garchomp and be in OU after 2 generations.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2017
    Which pokemon got an alolan form that was a huge improvement? They still feel as weak as before just with different typings.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Beartic. +20 to his base attack and getting Slush Rush is a huge boon. Especially, with Hail having much more support this time around. It's certainly not going to propel him to absurd levels, but the ice bear is in a better position in this Gen than his previous ones.

Not really serious, but Swellow getting +25 to Sp.Atk. It's still something. I'd rather fire off Specs Boomburst from Base 75 than 50.
    Which pokemon got an alolan form that was a huge improvement? They still feel as weak as before just with different typings.
    Alolan Ninetales performs a different niche than its regional counterpart. Yes, both set-up weather - through Drought and Snow Warning - but A-Ninetales has access to Aurora Veil, which can lead to interesting stall/set-up synergy. Combine that with A-Ninetales having a speed buff difference from regular Ninetales in having 109 instead of 100 respectively, it's a much better speed tier to be closer to. So, yeah. A-Ninetales might not be an outstanding improvement depending on who you ask, but it certainly differentiates itself from Ninetales enough.

Similarly, A-Golem gets to use a combination of Galvanize + Explosion, is absurdly silly and something that he was over regular Golem.

You'll get some form of mileage on A-Raichu with Tapu Koko, double speed is still double speed.

Those are probably only the most notable examples. You might be able to make cases for A-Exeggutor and A-Marowak, to an extent. You're pretty spot-on that most of them just perform the same though, but with an added typing.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • For me, it has to be Dodrio. It's always been one of my favorites from the first Gen, but other bird Pokémon always outclassed it in battles. GameFreak finally showed him some love this time around, giving him +10 to his Speed and access to Jump Kick and Swords Dance by level up! Thanks to Jump Kick, he now has a way of getting past Rock, Steel, and Ice types and I can see him becoming a dangerous set-up sweeper thanks to Swords Dance, a good Attack stat, and higher speed. Very happy that I can finally use him!

xdforcezz

The Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2019
    Buzzwole. I mean, you can't get more buff than that monster.

Years
  • Like what previous posts said, Beartic, Flygon and Dodrio were some notable ones. Beartic getting the new Slush Rush ability and a boosted Attack makes the icy bear definitely more viable than it used to be. Flygon getting Dragon Dance now helps set it apart from Garchomp who usually outclassed it, and Dodrio now getting a Speed boost, along with Jump Kick and Swords Dance now allows it to deal with some of its notable threats.

Another one I certainly have to mention is Masquerain getting Speed and Sp. Atk boosts, since I feel it was a Pokemon that never gets love plus it gets some decent moves like Shadow Ball, Scald and Ice Beam for neat coverage. Pelipper was another buff I'm pleased with, since gaining Drizzle allows it to use Hurricane and its Water STAB more effectively.

Oh, and not to forget Torkoal, Gigalith and Vanilluxe getting weather-inducing abilities as well. I feel we could see the return of weather wars, but thankfully not spammed as much as in 5th Gen competitive.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Which pokemon got an alolan form that was a huge improvement? They still feel as weak as before just with different typings.

Well Golem has a nice new ability and this give a boost to explosion + STAB. It's pretty nice! Let's just hope the other doesn't switch for a ground type...

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    My favorite buff has to be that turn order is determined after Mega Evolving now. Lots of Megas who gained Speed would have to run and waste their first turn using Protect because in gen 6 they'd stay slow due to the turn order being determined before Mega Evolving.

But now? If you have rain already set up (I'm looking at you, Pelipper Drizzle + Hurricane combo), your Mega Swampert will have its increased base Speed and Swift Swim applied the moment it Mega Evolves! Fans of Mega Banette: you get access to Prankster that turn, no need to wait any more!

With few exceptions, Megas are even more horrifying now that they start off with their outstanding Speed. I love it!

The other buff I like is probably not intentional (it was probably meant to debuff Prankster) but Dark-Types being unaffected by Prankster is awesome. Liepard won't have to worry about being Taunted by Whimsicott, Dark-Types won't have to worry about being T-Waved by Thundurus... Good stuff! Good stuff!

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    that pancake smack snorlax was insane. mine has a def as high as it's spec. def. That blows my mind a little. A normal snorlax has 65 base def and 110 base special def. I maxed it's hp and then put the rest evenly in to defences. It had a lax nature but taking 10% from spec def shouldnt make that difference. That special snorlax has some special stats methinks. lvl 80 snorlax with 400hp and 200+ on defences ftw.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    what did they do to giga impact? I've noticed with my mega salamence that my giga impact is super effective against fighting types or something like that. WHY? Its such an amazing move now because of this.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    Like what previous posts said, Beartic, Flygon and Dodrio were some notable ones. Beartic getting the new Slush Rush ability and a boosted Attack makes the icy bear definitely more viable than it used to be. Flygon getting Dragon Dance now helps set it apart from Garchomp who usually outclassed it, and Dodrio now getting a Speed boost, along with Jump Kick and Swords Dance now allows it to deal with some of its notable threats.

Another one I certainly have to mention is Masquerain getting Speed and Sp. Atk boosts, since I feel it was a Pokemon that never gets love plus it gets some decent moves like Shadow Ball, Scald and Ice Beam for neat coverage. Pelipper was another buff I'm pleased with, since gaining Drizzle allows it to use Hurricane and its Water STAB more effectively.

Oh, and not to forget Torkoal, Gigalith and Vanilluxe getting weather-inducing abilities as well. I feel we could see the return of weather wars, but thankfully not spammed as much as in 5th Gen competitive.

i cant wait to transfer my surf/water team over now that pelliper has drizzle. I want to test that bad boy out! I miss my heloptyle and croagunk with dry skin and leftovers/poison heal item.

Back