• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favorite Gold/Silver Legendary's!

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2016
    What is your favorite legendary in Pokemon Gold And Silver? Here are options if you don't know all of them.

Mewtwo
    Mew
    Ho-Oh
    Lugia
    Raikou
    Entei
    Suicune
    Celebi

Years
  • Of the Second Generation, probably Raikou because it's so much better than the other two trio Pokémon. That and Lugia, because I think Lugia has a better typing than Ho-Oh (that and, you know, Moltres exists so... Typing)

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Lugia looks like Pidgeot. Lugia!

It has a new type for a legendary. The others ae similar to earlier legendaries.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • There are so may good legendaries available in Johto and to keep things fair I'm gonna limit myself to just Gen 2 Pokémon! I think the legendary beasts are fantastic and I think I prefer them to the birds in Kanto - they might be my favourite legendary trio overall! Celebi is awesome too and I love all of the pixie Pokémon - it especially stands out to me because of its role in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon where it and Grovyle help you escape from Dusknoir. Lugia is cool too - I loved its role in the Ruby Destiny ROM Hack series and it has its own Shadow form in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness! But I think my number one favourite has to be Ho-Oh. The thing is absolutely astounding. It really struck me from the first time I seen it in the anime - it was breathtakingly beautiful and I thought it was amazing! It's such a tank in competitive use as well so I can't see beyound it honestly.
    250.png

Sirfetch’d

My vote goes to Ho-oh! It's so beautiful and is super special because it appeared in the very first Pokemon anime episode :D

I quite like all of the legendary Pokemon available in this gen though. Too bad Celebi was really hard to obtain :<

Years
  • I think Lugia has a better typing than Ho-Oh (that and, you know, Moltres exists so... Typing)

I could understand Lugia's typing generating more excitement because he and Natu ushered in an alluring new combination of psychic/ flying not previously seen in gen 1. But I wouldn't say this is a "better" typing than fire/flying. Ho-oh has his fair share of weaknesses as a phoenix to water, rock and electricity, but as birds of a feather Lugia shares Ho-oh's weaknesses to electricity and rock, gains weaknesseses to ghost, ice, dark and also struggles with steel.

It is a tough call because these are both outstanding Pokemon with the same base stat total, they also both have juicy movepools, but if I were to chose between them based on typing I think Ho-oh has a stronger claim to the throne.

Moltres is a noble Pokemon indeed, but with Ho-oh's extra bulk giving him 100 pt higher base stat total than Moltres + a more dynamic movepool with access to recovery I feel even the legendary birds must bow their heads to the mighty rainbow bird ;)

200_s.gif

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ho-Oh stuff

While Ho-Oh may have a different typing, I also forgot to include Charizard on the previous list. I still say Lugia, but only partly because pitted against each other Lugia out-speeds Ho-Oh by 20pts. Lugia also has higher Defence stats and the ability to utilize Ancient Power faster than Ho-Oh would be able to. Pitted against each other, I would grant the win to Lugia. Both are good Pokémon, but using them competitively is just low and illegal in most official circles so most of the points are moot. I just like Lugia more personally. But I like Raikou most out of the three guardians.

Years
  • Lugia v Ho-oh

i like all of the Pokemon you named as well. I have fun debating hypothetical match-ups like this!

Yes, Lugia would get the advantage of the first move in a head to head match up. Neither Pokemon would be able to OHKO though. I would give the battle to Lugia in the scenario you outlined provided Lugia's stats raise on the first move through ancient power, making Lugia's attack high enough to faint Ho-oh on the second turn before it can recover. This could certainly happen. But the odds of Ho-oh burning Lugia with sacred fire on his first turn are 40% higher. If this happened instead of the stat increase then the tables turn.

The bonus of status altering moves is another reason why I think of ho-oh normally as more versatile, but that's just me! Raikou, Lugia, Charizard, all of them are top of the line :D

Last edited:
    Years
  • If stealth rock was set up by any Pokémon previously (on either field) the considerable drop to Ho-Oh's HP nails it shut. With moves like Rain Dance available, it cuts Ho-Oh's Stab base in half and what's more is that Lugia has higher Defence stats on top (only if Sunny Day or other weather effects are put in place). With Waterfall available, it would decimate Ho-Oh's health due to it's bad Defence (in comparison). The only way Ho-Oh would win with Sacred Fire is relying on a coin flip on that Burn. Without that Burn, a 2 hit Waterfall puts Ho-Oh down on the mat. Sacred Fire also has that 5% chance of missing as well. Those are too many chances when it comes down to guaranteed wins. I still feel that the Speed Lugia has over Ho-Oh grants that advantage.

Years
  • Out of all the legendary Pokemon introduced in Johto, I would say that Lugia is my favorite. It's probably in my top 3 favorite legendaries of all time, both in part to memorable battles I had with it in Pokemon Gold, and because of the second Pokemon movie, which is still my favorite of the franchise.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Honestly I love them all hahaha.

Lugia has an amazing design, and I loved it in the Pokémon 2000 movie. But Ho-oh too has a beautiful design and concept. But if I have to choose just one, I think it would actually be Suicune. I loved chasing it around in Crystal and it has a gorgeous design <3

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I reallllly like the gen 2 legendaries. The three beasts, Ho-oh and Lugia. Design-wise, I'm most fond of Raikou and Ho-oh, but I think Lugia is a great concept and design too, before we got too many sharp looking legendaries...

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Ho-oh because it's very beautiful, Lugia because it's very cool...

And Suicune, because it's both! I won't deny my bias due to Crystal being my first game, but Suicune really feels like an embodiment of beauty and power to me.

Years
  • Lugia is my top pick. I love the design. Also, the second movie totally helped me in seeing how cool Lugia is!

immacksg

follow @immacksg on twitter for some rad cartoon a
    Years
  • I'd say Lugia. I love it's smooth design and simplistic color pallet.
    Next would most likely be Suicune. It's so pretty.

Back