• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Favorite Pokemon Red/Blue Starter Pokemon?

Sirfetch’d

Squirtle was the first Pokemon that I ever owned so naturally it is my favorite of the 3. Granted I really adore them all quite a bit, I just have too many fond memories using my little Squirtle who turned into the MVP Blastoise of my team.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • My very first starter was a Bulbasaur, but in most playthroughs that followed, I chose Squirtle.

I always preferred Blastoise to Venusaur, and yes, even Charizard.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I chose Bulbasaur during my first time playing it, and also him during my first time beating the game.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • All 3 of the original starters hold a special place in my heart for different reasons!

Favorite Pokemon Red/Blue Starter Pokemon?
    Bulbasaur is just such a cool Pokémon! It's personality in the anime always stood out to me and I thought it was really powerful! It also was the starter I chose in my only LeafGreen playthrough where I finished the game when the game was released. It's bulk and stall-heavy moveset was vital in me making my way through the late game and it's typing made the beginning a breeze. I found it's design amazing and thought that Ivysaur standing on it's hind legs in the original games awesome! Mega Venasaur is such a pain to play against as it's just so good!​

Charmander was the best to me before I picked up the games. I was your average kid who followed the crowd really and everyone loved Charmander. It's character growth in the show was definitely the best of a Pokémon and I really loved it. It also helps that Charizard is represented like a Legendary in the anime too! Of course in reality it wasn't and just had no viability in the upper tiers of Competitive battling 'til it's Mega Evolutions (which are amazing too!). I'll never forget the episode of the show where Ash used Charizard to battle Casey, the nostalgia! Charmeleon is also my favourite of the middle evo trio!​

Squirtle is my absolute favourite! The cute little turtle/squirrel/whatever it is just is so adorable! It was the first starter I ever had (on a pre-owned copy of Blue), and was my most cherished partner. I loved it to death and used to travel around Kanto aimlessly and it was some of the most fun I ever had in my life, I was just a kid and my imagination was running wild like Hulkamania. It's just such a good evolution line and it inspired me to pick the Water type starter in every game since (excluding Silver but ignore that)!!! Shofu's reaction to the Mega Blastoise Mega Evolution also helped me come around to the idea of it and it's stuck with me ever since. #armcannons will never be topped as a Mega!​

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Though Charmander's my favourite in terms of style and eventual evolution, I usually choose Squirtle. I'm not a massive fan of a lot of the other Gen 1 water-types, whereas I like most of the fire-types.

BugBoyTroy

Professor in-training
    Years
  • Squirtle, mostly because it is the most nostalgic as being my first Pokemon ever, but also because I find it to be the cutest, and has the best designed evolutionary line. Not only that, but I like defensive pokemon and it's the most defensive of the original starters.

Also, I think that charmander's family are overated, the designs are unoriginal, and the pokemon just aren't that fun to play with.

Bulbasaur I think is cute, useful, and definitely has the best competitive final form (excluding megas), however it got outclassed for me by many other grass/poison and bug/poison Pokemon. I do have a soft spot for it though.

Ste182

If Pokemon is for children, then by Arceus, I'll n
    Years
  • I was the weird kid who picked Bulbasaur first lol. He was definitely my favorite, then Squirtle, then Charmander.

El Wynaut

Why not?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2015
    Squirtle.

Squirtle evolves into a giant turtle with rocket launchers on its shoulders.

It's the simple things in life

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I love their designs, on the competitive aspect I prefer Charmander's though. :(
    I recall restarting and trading off the starters in order to get all the Kanto starter trio.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2015
    Squirtle is my favorite. Not only was it my first pokemon, but it was the first pokemon that I leveled up to 100. Or at least Blastiose was, you know.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2015
    Charmander simply because it's weak for the first two gyms and it provides more challenge by focusing on getting other Pokemon to win.

Years
  • Since I played Yellow, I had the chance to have all three at a time. My favorite was definitely Charizard. Just too cool and also very strong and convenient :)

Years
  • In many ways Charmander, because Charizard are a bit special and stand out at least a bit and Charmeleon are quite cool and might be worth keeping around for other reasons, although I think that Bulbasaur's evolution into Venusaur is slightly more clearly directed and covers a lot of ground in terms of where one could go with its development in a particular sense. This is in terms of the three Pokémon presented on the table, of course, not otherwise.

Back