• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Spin-Off?

Years
    So, of all the spin-off games of Pokemon, which would be your favorite and why?

Mine would be Colosseum and XD, both had a great storyline and were fun to play.

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
    Mine would be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team. The story was, in my opinion, better than that of the Explorer titles, and the lack of Friend Areas in those games really sapped a lot of satisfaction out of it for me. Not to mention the inability to recruit everything was highly frustrating. Whilst there were less Pokemon to get in Blue, you could get all of them up to the third generation, and as my first delve into the Mystery Dungeon spinoffs, it just felt more exciting. The graphics were bright and cheery, the OST wasn't half bad, recruiting Celebi was perhaps the hardest thing I've ever had to do in any Pokemon game, and it didn't get boring...although it DID get frustrating sometimes, particularly when it came to recruiting Deoxys and Mew.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    So, of all the spin-off games of Pokemon, which would be your favorite and why?

Mine would be Colosseum and XD, both had a great storyline and were fun to play.

They truly did have great storylines and weren't as bad as people made them out to be, imo. They were very fun actually. I especially loved how some of my favorite pokemon that I couldn't get on RS were shadow pokemon so it was exciting knowing that I would soon have them on a handheld.

The only problem that I had was that they couldn't be played on the go. I really hope we get a sequel on the 3ds sometime, and maybe they could even remake the first two for it as well, but we at the very least need a sequel.

Btw, the mystery dungeon games are close, along with Pokemon Channel for Gamecube, lol. Really found that one interesting.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    The mystery dungeon games are really great, they're unique and really fun to play - also love actually being able to talk to pokemon in the same language for once! Plus you get some pretty unusual starters, so they're my favourites. Although Colosseum is very close as it almost feels real, maybe an update of that featuring Gen IV pokemon would be best...

Lightblind

For you never shut your eye ~
    Years
    When I was 10 or so (I think) I bought Red Rescue Team. I learned to hate it, and then I learned to love it.

As soon as I could, I instantly pre-ordered Explorers of Time/Darkness. I bought a few Pokédolls and a new DS Lite, all that I refused to touch until I had the games in my lap. When they came in the mail I was so excited and can remember shoving and bragging about all of my little trinkets in my mom's face. (Thankfully I've calmed down quite a bit, lol).

Basically what I'm going at is that I'm a fangirl and somewhat biased. =P

I played Explorers of Time before EoD. From the start I was hooked. I found the world on its own to be far more intriguing than the first games'. Fogbound Lake and Treasure Town are two examples of what I really liked. I found the story of the Time Gears thief to be compelling and everything that I had hoped for. I truly loved it.

But for what it is, I find Explorers of Sky to be my favorite, being a remake of what I loved. The OST was wonderful. I do wish it had had more to it, but it did have a significant amount that I enjoyed.

On another hand, though I didn't like the original Ranger, Shadows of Almia was really fun. Replaying it is on my agenda. I'm yet to buy Guardian Signs, but I'll get to it eventually.

assassinjay1229

Im baaaack
    Years
    My favorites are Colleseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, I loved their stories and have thought ever since I beat XD that there should be a third entry into this series

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    My favourite is pokemon ranger shadow of almia.
    Just the gameplay was improved and the story was very good.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    My favorite spin off games are the Mystery Dungeon series. They're similar to the mainstream games in a way.

Tox

fight me
    Years
    My third favourite spin-off is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team.
    The concept of becoming a Pokémon was awesome and I remember that I was really addicted to the game at the time. It's a shame I lost it because I'd love to play through it again. Fortunately, I was able to finish it and I definitely think it was a nice change. Sure, it had its annoying and repetitive moments, but overall, I thought it was a lot of fun. I haven't played the newer versions from start to finish but from what I've seen, I prefer the original.

In second place is Pokémon Colosseum.
    Another great game with some awesome twists. Being able to 'snag' Shadow Pokémon was awesome, and I loved being able to travel with another person. I always had a lot of fun connecting with my Pokémon Sapphire game. It was pretty cool to see my Pokémon in '3D'. I also thought that the villains were a nice alteration from the regulars that you'd expect to see.

And finally, my number one would have to be Pokémon Snap.
    I don't know how they managed to do it, but somehow Nintendo actually managed to make a game where you take pictures enjoyable. I loved the whole concept of the game and the camera was just brilliant. The small things like getting Pikachu on a surfboard, causing Magikarp to evolve into Gyarados and changing Ditto back from a Bulbasaur were just ingenious. Taking a picture of Mew was one of the most exciting moments that has been in any Pokémon game that I've played. Even though I haven't played it in years, I can remember the game so clearly. It's undoubtedly my favourite spin-off game and definitely comes close to being one of my favourite games from the series.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    I don't consider the Orre games spinoffs, so I'm excluding them.

My favorite spinoff is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness/Sky. While it's a bit hard at points, and it outright lies to you about game mechanics at points, its storyline is good. I just beat the fifth special episode for the first time today.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    My favorite spin off games would have to be the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. the reason for this is because you can play as any Pokemon you want inside of that game and the best part about this is NO HUMANS!

:t354:TG

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    So tough. I'd have to say the mystery dungeon games would be my favourite. I remember before it was XD because it was so good. But now PMD > XD I don't know why but I just love it. I mean you can play as Pokemon, have a Pokemon team. (Well, you can in every game but idc)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I was going to say Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs, but then I remembered the Pokémon TCG on the Gameboy! Definitely a favourite. I wouldn't have known how to play the card game if it weren't for that, and I've made myself some sweet money in my time from playing the TCG with people :D

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Colosseum and XD. Cipher and Miror B. were awesome, and the games retained the trainer factor that got me into Pokemon in the first place. None of the other spinoffs have appealed to me at all, in fact.

User19sq

I gotta go with Colosseum on this one. Why bother training a Larvitar till it evolves when you can simply steal a Tyranitar? >:3

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon : Red Rescue Team, Red Rescue Team. It is my TOTAL favourite (and the first spinoff game I've ever played). It is an old game BUT it has a very good storyline(My opinion) and its a very nice game. I simply love it.

Back