• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Updated Re-release

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Ah, ports and remakes. Love 'em or hate 'em, they exist, and they're gonna keep coming for as long as games are exclusive in some form, and even after that. But the whole love/hate affair isn't really relevant to this, this is all about the love.

So, what's your favorite port or remake of a game? Or what are notable ones that you enjoy?

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to my favorite port or remake of a game, two of my favorite remakes are the DS remake and the PSP remake of Final Fantasy IV. I like the DS remake because of voice acting and 3D. As for the PSP remake, well it not only includes Final Fantasy IV. It also includes Final Fantasy IV Interlude, which takes place between Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy IV The After Years. Course Final Fantasy IV The After Years is also included in it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm still waiting for a decent remake of Final Fantasy 6.

Good remakes that I've played are FF4 Complete Collection and Pokemon ORAS.

pkmin3033

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 is easily my favourite updated re-release of a game, it takes the fantastic dialogue from the first game and gives it Victory's battle system, which is substantially better than the gameplay of the original title, which was slow and clunky and vastly inferior to Trinity Universe, which was out around the same time. Re;Birth 1 is what we should have gotten on PS3 in the first place.

Honorable mentions go to Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, for being the last Pokemon titles to capture the magic of my childhood; Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited, for adding in all the DLC and then some and incorporating the only good idea D2 had (the Cheat Shop); The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, for making sailing much faster and thereby removing 90% of the tedium from the game, making it so much better for it, and Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions on PSP, for being the best Final Fantasy title to date. There are others, but those are the ones that immediately sprang to mind.

Speaking of, I expect and demand a Final Fantasy XII HD remaster or a PS4 port to take the top spot by the end of the year, though. Make it happen, Square Enix. MAKE IT HAPPEN. The best mothership title deserves at least a PS4 port, if not a full-blown HD remaster of the international version.

Atelier Rorona Plus gets a mention for best improved re-release, as well. The quality of the original Rorona left a lot to be desired, the overhaul the Plus version gave it was far more noticeable than any of the other titles Plus re-releases; it was like a brand new game altogether.

I love the opportunity to revisit my old favourites, whether it be as ports or remakes or remasters. I just wish people would learn the difference between the three terms and apply it properly, instead of just labelling everything as a remake.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • If remake, I say Persona 4 Golden.
    Add HanaKana into my favorite franchise, and you got a masterpiece in my eyes.

Okami HD - It is just PS2->PS3 but heck, it's one of reasons I got PS3, I need to mention it =D

And since I mentioned PS3, I better mention Port Station 4 as well so...
    Final Fantasy Type Deuce HD - Glorious HanaKana in glorious HD.

Then there are Nep Rebirths, I would say they are definitely great remakes (obviously because the target was Vita-tan :P) but I enjoyed the original versions as well so they don't rank that high.

I haven't played Ateliers yet, so they may be eventually added...

And since we're on topic of remakes, I actually want to say this: SAO Hollow Fragment... Vita >>>>>>>>> PS4

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
  • Chrono Trigger on DS is a pretty sweet port, if only for the portability. All three of the Pokemon remakes are pretty good, too. And DuckTales Remastered needs some more love.

I still need to play Shadow of the Colossus HD, though. I just don't have a PS3. xD

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Really enjoying the Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD Remaster for that little bit of 2000's nostalgia. Also, FFX was the only FF game from the older generation that I never fully played and the HD Remaster really helped.

Persona 3: FES also comes into mind.

Also, Street Fighter 2 HD Remix is something I enjoyed for a while. I really liked the sprite work of the characters, especially Akuma's, while keeping some of that SF2 Turbo gameplay that I enjoyed, with some balance changes to the characters as well.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Oddworld: New N Tasty was the best it possibly could have been as a 3D remake of Abe's Oddysee. All the mechanics are there, all the awesome gamespeak, 200 more Mukokons to save, amazing recreated full 3D backgrounds that live up to the original pre-rendered ones. It was awesome and you all should play it whether you've played an Oddworld game or not!

Back