• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Fifth Gen General Chat

Years
    B/W and B2/W2 are different in terms of features and the story, along with the latter having older Pokemon in the Unova Dex but in the end, it's recommended to play both games if you want the full Unova experience and the story ties together well with B2/W2's Memory Link feature.

B/W was better story-wise but B2/W2 had all the good features and that's why I'm not particularly biased towards one, because I appreciate both games evenly.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Guys huge news. Despite the fact that Simisear is deemed the least popular Pokémon ever (although when you look at the Binacle line you question things) it's getting a distribution in Japan lmao. People would literally want a Magikarp more than it. :|

Years
    One of the biggest criticisms I've heard about Black and White 1 is that none of the pre-gen 5 Pokemon are in the game until after beating Ghetsis.

Never really minded this, to be honest. It helps give the game its own identity.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    That's my biggest issue with B2W2. The older Pokémon just seem to throw off the peaceful balance. Like when I explore a region I only want Pokémon native to there. I might be alone in thinking that but that's one of the reasons I never really liked B2W2 as much.

Years
    I loved how B/W had only new Pokemon in the Dex, because it helped you warm up to them better. B2/W2 still had more features and the addition of older Pokemon, but I appreciate both games on an equal scale because one side of Unova can't be superior to the other.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pretty valid point. I think that if the Unova Pokémon weren't introduced on their own people probably wouldn't have appreciated them as much. They would have been compared to previous generation Pokémon a lot more tbh. Unova was controversial in designs so it could have really worked against them. Like people hated Vanilluxe, imagine if you'd have to compare that to a classic like Seel :c

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    I finished Black 1 around a week ago, playing Black 2 now for the first time.
    i cheat coded and level-3-spawned my team into the area outside of the starter town, because you know... team experimentation. this is my team currently, all level 38-40 range:

Infernape - recently taught it fire pledge, he knows close combat and sword dance and nasty plot
    Sceptile - taught it grass pledge the same time i taught fire pledge. sunny day + leaf blade + dragon pulse i think. grass pledge replaced solar beam, so here sunny day is a little obsolete.
    Starmie - scald, ice beam, psychic and Psych up
    Jolteon - raindance, thunder, charge beam, and shadow ball
    Gabite - Dig, Strength, Iron head, and Dragon Claw
    Staraptor - Fly, Close combat, work up, and return.

obviously my team has a theme on it: high speed one shot team. however recently i feel my Staraptor is not doing well, it never seems to pull its weight on the team. i am thinking of replacing Staraptor. what do you think? Aerodactyl for speed and attack? i usually avoid using legendaries unless as HM slaves.

before the E4 i will drop leaf blade and dragon pulse with energy ball and Xscissor to Sceptile, and he will deal with psychics and as backup dark types, Jolteon shadow ball for ghost and psychics, Starmie for fighting and as backup ghost killer, Infernape as the main dark. Starmie the main dragon killer with Garchomp as backup dragon. i have experimented teaching aerial ace and acrobatics to the Chimchar and Treecko lines, i never knew STAB made such a big difference.

how have your experiences playing with Staraptor been like? are all flying types just outside the starting towns always doomed to be the weakest links?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I finished Black 1 around a week ago, playing Black 2 now for the first time.
    i cheat coded and level-3-spawned my team into the area outside of the starter town, because you know... team experimentation. this is my team currently, all level 38-40 range:

Infernape - recently taught it fire pledge, he knows close combat and sword dance and nasty plot
    Sceptile - taught it grass pledge the same time i taught fire pledge. sunny day + leaf blade + dragon pulse i think. grass pledge replaced solar beam, so here sunny day is a little obsolete.
    Starmie - scald, ice beam, psychic and Psych up
    Jolteon - raindance, thunder, charge beam, and shadow ball
    Gabite - Dig, Strength, Iron head, and Dragon Claw
    Staraptor - Fly, Close combat, work up, and return.

obviously my team has a theme on it: high speed one shot team. however recently i feel my Staraptor is not doing well, it never seems to pull its weight on the team. i am thinking of replacing Staraptor. what do you think? Aerodactyl for speed and attack? i usually avoid using legendaries unless as HM slaves.

before the E4 i will drop leaf blade and dragon pulse with energy ball and Xscissor to Sceptile, and he will deal with psychics and as backup dark types, Jolteon shadow ball for ghost and psychics, Starmie for fighting and as backup ghost killer, Infernape as the main dark. Starmie the main dragon killer with Garchomp as backup dragon. i have experimented teaching aerial ace and acrobatics to the Chimchar and Treecko lines, i never knew STAB made such a big difference.

how have your experiences playing with Staraptor been like? are all flying types just outside the starting towns always doomed to be the weakest links?
    Staraptor should be fine. Generally flying types are great at the start and bad at the end of the games. It's just how it goes. It can help you out with the e4 but if you'd prefer something else, try Braviary. It's a Unova native, can learn really cool strong moves and is pretty bulky. Staraptor is good too, competitively it's one of the best early bird Pokémon. But up to you :) also Aerodactyl isn't a legendary, just a fossil so feel free to chuck it onto your team without worry!

Just a little note: to improve your teams try to use different types of attacking moves. So like instead of leaf blade AND grass pledge - keep the first one and replace grass pledge with an attacking move from another type so you have more coverage vs opponents! Also it's probably a wise idea to Google "physical and special split Pokémon" it'll help you make your Pokémon even stronger :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Staraptor should be fine. Generally flying types are great at the start and bad at the end of the games. It's just how it goes. It can help you out with the e4 but if you'd prefer something else, try Braviary. It's a Unova native, can learn really cool strong moves and is pretty bulky. Staraptor is good too, competitively it's one of the best early bird Pokémon. But up to you :) also Aerodactyl isn't a legendary, just a fossil so feel free to chuck it onto your team without worry!

Just a little note: to improve your teams try to use different types of attacking moves. So like instead of leaf blade AND grass pledge - keep the first one and replace grass pledge with an attacking move from another type so you have more coverage vs opponents! Also it's probably a wise idea to Google "physical and special split Pokémon" it'll help you make your Pokémon even stronger :)

as i did before i found i had problems with PP. default solar beam and grass pledge is 10. if i had some PP max this would not be a problem, i was trying aerial ace and acrobatics on grovyle and monferno for a while to cover more types but i found it is not worth it if covering more types means i am struggling hard, i might as well switch to a better monster for that type. flying covers grass bug and fighting i have infernape and starmie to do that now. i think i will just leave Staraptor at level 40 and start focusing all my EXP into my remaining 5, since my 5 already covers all the types pretty well. tho i don't feel comfortable leaving only my starmie to handle the fighting E-4 assuming he is still there after black 1.

my infernape in previous sinnoh and unova games always had better special so i thought pushing chimchar to learn nasty plot would be better, but in this play through my infernape has teh nature that buffs physical and not special. i might as well reset his moveset and go sword dance with all elemental punches when i can afford to do that. all this compromising with the natures and abilities is pretty annoying tho. my past infernape had natures buffing special and ability buffing punches, while this one has nature buffing physical and ability buffing fire in a pinch. this infernape would have been perfect for that old ability.

Back