• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Years
    So, at E3, Square revealed several new trailers. Two of interest being an English trailer of Final Fantasy XIII, and...Final Fantasy XIV?

...Okay, does anyone else see the problem with this?

Final Fantasy XIII has been delayed several times now. Now I know a different team is working on FFXIII, but still, this raises a few eyebrows. It makes you wonder WHAT Square has been up to all this time. Were they planning this just so they could have a simultaneous release of the two titles? Or was XIII being delayed because of people being dragged off to work on this game?

Another problem- XIV is an MMO only, just like FFXI. I haven't played XI, but I hear it failed. So why do another MMO? Plus, this is ONLINE PLAY ONLY. Which means, half of the FF fans out there can't play XIV due to possibly not having online access, and really I don't see a point of paying X amount every month for a game that I ALREADY PAID FOR ONCE. I just do not see a point in this. I personally think Square would make more money if they made the online play an option rather than a requirement and added a actual plot, no online stuff needed.

That's just me though. What are your opinions on this?

Oh, and before you start saying 'Square needs money for maintenece' and stuff like that about XIV, think about this- Square already has a buttload of games. I think they have enough money coming in from all of those other games, merchandise, ect. to maintain an MMO. Then again, I don't really know how that works, so meh. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Why would they make something they won't make as much profit off of? o_O Square wouldn't get away with most of the things free MMOs do so they make a full one. XI was dying down anyway and with MMORPGs so popular, this doesn't surprise me much. I'm going to skip over it much like XI but I'm not too bothered it's there. The next full Final Fantasy won't be due until 2015 or something anyway, at this rate. 9_9

XIV won't have delayed XIII at all though. They have different development teams and I'm sure the dev team for XIV is different from XIII and XIII Versus.

Anyway, I used to be really excited for XIII but it's taken so long that my enthusiasm has waned. Maybe if they'd released Advent Children Complete with a demo just like they did in Japan I might be looking forward to it more but otherwise I won't care till we have a concrete release date.

Years
    Well the main reasons why FFXIII has been delayed are 1. SquareEnix debugs the game while they develop it which takes longer to do on an unfinished project and 2 the FFXIII team are also working on FFXIII Versus the FFXI team is making FFXIV Online

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Actually, I believe FF11 is doing pretty well as a MMORPG, having people hooked on it, people selling accounts for 50k yen etc.

The only problem is, will FF11 players move on to FF14, or will it cause a divide like Counter-Strike 1.6 VS Counter-Strike Source?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I was a bit shocked at the news of FF XIV, especially since XIII had yet to come out and they didn't even mention Versus. At first I thought it was the reason for all the delays, but then I realized SE wasn't THAT stupid to have one team focus on three games (I'm fairly sure the same team working on XIII is also working on Versus). As for the MMO aspect of the game, it was more of a disappointment than hearing it's a PS3 exclusive. From what I hear, XI on the 360 isn't so popular, and PSN isn't nearly as populated as Xbox Live, so how will they expect XIV to thrive? I am a huge MMORPG fan, so I know what I'm talking about when I say an MMO is NOTHING without a community, good or bad. But in the end, SE must be super rich with the success of games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, TWEWY, etc. They've got money to experiment with.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Give us 13 first! It was announced years ago and its still not going to get over to Europe for another 10 Months minimum :\.

Maybe SE should start getting further along the line before they go and get people excited ;).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    At first I thought it was the reason for all the delays, but then I realized SE wasn't THAT stupid to have one team focus on three games (I'm fairly sure the same team working on XIII is also working on Versus). As for the MMO aspect of the game, it was more of a disappointment than hearing it's a PS3 exclusive. From what I hear, XI on the 360 isn't so popular, and PSN isn't nearly as populated as Xbox Live, so how will they expect XIV to thrive? I am a huge MMORPG fan, so I know what I'm talking about when I say an MMO is NOTHING without a community, good or bad. But in the end, SE must be super rich with the success of games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, TWEWY, etc. They've got money to experiment with.
    Actually, XIII and Versus have different teams. The KH team is working on Versus and I remember at some point last year most of them were pulled from Versus and placed on the XIII team temporarily to give it a much-needed push of productivity or something like that. :B Different teams though. (XIV would have a different team as well--probably the XI team.)

Soon after it was announced as exclusive to PS3, that was taken back and now it's for PS3, PC and probably 360 somewhere down the road lmao. :(

TWEWY actually didn't make that much money for how well-received it was, iirc. :'(

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Soon after it was announced as exclusive to PS3, that was taken back and now it's for PS3, PC
    It was actually announced that it's "Console release would be exclusive to PS3" ~ I think PC was always assumed to be the case. Given how abysmally MMO's do on 360 (FFXI and PSU) I doubt we'll see it there.

Years
    If I am correct in saying, another reason for delay may have been the fatal bug in Dragon Quest IX.

I don't know about the game itself, though. I was quite underwelmed when it was unveiled. Probably because I wasn't all that thrilled about Final Fantasy XII (don't get me wrong, it's a great game, just not my style).

Regarding FFXIV, I will probably never touch it. THe only MMO I play even remotely is Tales of Pirates, and even then I only play it casually.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    I'm still waiting for a demo out on the PlayStation Network. I know why they didn't give a demo of FFXIII with FFVII:AC Complete (because Complete is Blu-Ray... and seeing how the 360 doesn't have a player... yea).
    I know it's good for Square that it's out on both the PS3 and 360... but to me, I really wish it was PS3 only. I know people who only got the 360 will be pissed or jump at me. But really, if it was PS3 only I believe we'd have a demo by now, I believe that we'd get the game sooner, and so on.

I really want FFXIII but seeing how I've had to wait so long.... I've got other games I want before getting it.

And as for FFXIV... I don't see myself getting it.

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
    Years
    I just want my FFXIII. Is that too much to ask? I loved FFVII. I loved FFVIII. They let me down with FFIX and made up for it with FFX then again let me down with it's horrible sequel. Since then, they haven't recovered (in my eyes anyways). I have a feeling FFXIII will bring it back to it's glory days. I'll as long as I have to for it cause once it's out, you can bet I'll be playing.

As for FFXIV, not sure if I'll pick that up. FFXI wasn't that bad from what I understand. It had it's own fan base and it was enough to bring out several expansions, so it obviously didn't fair horribly, it just wasn't World of Warcraft. I'll give the next one a shot, but I'll probably be too busy playing The Old Republic and Star Trek Online >.>

레트로

Banned
    Years
    I loved FFVII. I loved FFVIII. They let me down with FFIX and made up for it with FFX then again let me down with it's horrible sequel. Since then, they haven't recovered (in my eyes anyways). I have a feeling FFXIII will bring it back to it's glory days.

It's almost the total opposite for me. I loved FFVI, FFVII and FFVIII sucked major donkey. Then FFIX came in and saved the day. While FFX was waiting to ruin the series.Then FFXI had a cult following, that, sadly, didn't include me. With the release of FFXII I almost shat myself, I swear to God it was boner inducing. Easily my favorite, putting my beloved FFIX in second. Now, with the release of FFXIII, I'm just hoping they can deliver as much as FFXII did. I mean, it's almost cetain the graphics will exceed those of FFXII, but what about story? Characters? We'll just have to wait and hope for the best.

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    I've only played Final Fantasy once on Nintendo DS and it was my first game, but i played a PS2 version and i loved it so i may get one of these.

Pan!ko

vibratingcat XD
    Years
    FFXIII I'm guessing will be released b4 FFXIV. XIV was shown very vaguely and I cant even find the official site for it. Im hoping XIII will come out when I'm in japan.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Anyway, I used to be really excited for XIII but it's taken so long that my enthusiasm has waned. Maybe if they'd released Advent Children Complete with a demo just like they did in Japan I might be looking forward to it more but otherwise I won't care till we have a concrete release date.
    ^
    That.

I was hyped about 13 and 13versus, but not so much anymore. 14 is more than likely a no from me.

Back