• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I am interested in trying the new sphere grid they have in the international version.

I got my device today...(well, its 2 am in the morning..just got home from work). I haven't tried it yet, because I need to take off the cd tray cover and I don't have a small enough screwdriver. Cross your fingers everyone!

Lucifer.

Custom'D
Years
Scythemantis, I totally disagree with everything you've said. To me, the newer Final Fantasies from VII, or maybe VI onwards are by far superior to the older games. Storylines about crystals and magical dragons are boring, the likes of FFVIII and X broke the mould and ventured out into new-ish territory instead of sticking to tired old formulars. The idea of your characters being part of a school-type Garden in VIII is fantastic, and makes a change to "Ye olde light warrior" or some other stereotypical nonsense.

I'm not saying the older games are bad, because they're not. But I just enjoyed the newer games' more interesting and complex storylines better. Seeing as it was the first FF to be released in my country, VII was the first one I played. However, I have bought all the older remakes as they've become available, so it's not like I have a biassed view.

And to say you resent FFVII's popularity is pretty stupid. That's like these people who stop liking rock bands because they become too mainstream. Ridiculous. I do think the amount of attention it gets is a bit extreme, but it doesn't change what I think of it in the slightest.

My order of greatness, starting with the best (3 is missed out as it hasn't been released yet): VII, VIII, IX, X, VI, V, IV, II, I.

Ya. :pirate:

Mewtwo-D2 ~ I myself have just discovered a few more differences in the International FFX you might be interested in.

• Seven new abilities: Extract Power, Extract Ability, Extract Speed, Extract Mana (basically they make enemies drop more of the named Sphere after battle, as well as attacking), Full Break (Causes Power, Armour, Mental and Magic Breaks), Pilfer Gil, Nab Gil (Steal gil/mug gil).
  • Four new Weapon abilities: Power Distil, Mana Distil, Abilty Distil, Speed Distil (more or less the same as the above 'Extract' skills, just in-built). One new armour ability: Ribbon! Protects against all status abnormalities. Can't believe your US version didin't include this!
  • This one I'm unsure of, so you might need to clarify what's on your version. But the Overdrives Oblivion (Anima), Delta Attack (Magus Sisters) and Tornado (Auron) hit multiple times instead of just appearing as a single [320,000] or something. Didn't know that.

Last edited:

Scythemantis

retiredededed
Years
I'm not a big fan of the games IV and below either, actually..they're good, but very typical like you said. I honestly found VI's plot to be a tad deeper and more fun than VII (and yes I played all the way through both) which was a good game but Cloud and Sephiroth's storylines felt unneccessarily muddled and confusing, and not in a cool way.

I'm all for change and for unique new styles and looks but I just didn't like the way that was done in VIII a bit...my comparison to a soap opera is about the best explanation I can give. It was all...preppy and melodramatic like heartthrobby teen sitcoms or something.

It was mostly the characters...I didn't like any of them, and I found them too realistic, like an everyday person from our world, which is what a lot of people liked about it, but that's what bored me so much. I prefer a wide range of extremely unique and creative characters, so I enjoyed the collection of odd creatures in IX and the huge cast of VI...both of which featured a really wide range of personality types, too.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
well i never minded the soap opera feel... i like romantic stories :classic: However first of all is it just me or does the female protagonist somewhat look the same from FF8 and on? They all are the same in a way that's rather hard to describe...

The only problem i see with the "new" FFs + FF6 (FF7 and onward) are the antagonist... their beliefs are always "i'll destroy the world for no heck of a reason/I'll destroy the world as only a world destroyed is peaceful". That's always what the antagonist or the final boss believed in... can they make things more creative nowadays...

Lucifer.

Custom'D
Years
Well Zemus doesn't really have a reason to do what he's doing, and even worse, X-Death. He just want's to suck everyone into a void. :D

Kefka was just a nutter who wanted to destroy everything; Sephiroth wanted to be reborn as a God; Ultimecia wanted all sorceress' powers to cross over in time and meet at her; Kuja wanted to rule the world, but then destroy it when he found out his life was nearly over; Seymour wanted to destroy the world to end pain.

None are that similar if you ask me.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I too actually liked FFVIII's story and junctioning.

Yeah, with a name like X-Death, you need a strong story like sucking everything into a void to back you up.

In FFXi they fixed Quick Hit so you couldn't do it twenty times in a row and then bring out an aeon when fighting Nemesis.

In Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, they added several abilities, two of which I am very fond of:

Encounter up: Every time you left a room enemies would respwan, instead of having to go two rooms away.

Leaf Veil: Can?t get hurt while healing.

Both of those would have been really great...wish I could read Japanese and had a modded PS2.

Inuyasha

Too Tired to Care.
Years
... you people are aware that NONE of the final fantasy games relate. story wise that is. you see... square-enix (well, squaresoft then) saw that one really big, long, series of sequaled games would quickly lose intrest. and when they decided on a movie, they didnt want to rerelease stuff, although the best choice woulda been ff8 due to the story/plot/characters. yes, the other games are good, but 8 holds more of the 'movie' style. i mean, come on... the only other good game is 3. 7 is alright, and 10 is FAR too superior to use in a movie. that and its too new, and a movie based on it would thus destroy all you little kid's hopes of beating the game blind. although... 2 was good too... and who cant love a guy named butz?

Lucifer.

Custom'D
Years
Erm, I think everyone knows that none of the games directly relate to one another :/. Even though Final Fantasy IX has a pretty large reference to Final Fantasy II in it. (I mean the real FFII, not FFIV)

Pezz

All Washed Up
Years
Well, one of the best aspects about the FF games is that they're all different. I like how they experiment with different designs and different worlds and battle systems and such. If they didn't, it would become boring.

I really like the games. I mostly like them for their story though, more than for their gameplay, although that is uber-fun as well.

My favorite is IX> I liked VI, but I find it to be overrated, although it is a true classic. VII is overrated in my mind as well.

Of course, I stay away from FF message boards. There is so much bashing of other's opinions and elitistness. *shudders*

John Denver

Banned
Years
FF10 had too many FREAKIN movies though...the first two hours drove me crazy with cutscenes...even though I personally liked the one where rikku undressed but ANYWAY...er-hem

BOO ya!

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
A lot of people did. In FFX-2 she's basically not wearing clothes :rolleyes:.

I like cinemas, Kingdom Hearts only has two and thus my selection of Kairi poses is somewhat limited.

Inuyasha

Too Tired to Care.
Years
yeah yeah... i know. but it seemed like no one understood that fact. anyways... i think i am a lil behind in this thread... so... i shall sum stuff up...
ff8- love it.
ff9- hated it with a passion.
all the rest were awesome...
triple triad, for ff8 is easy as heck... ff9's version sucked...
dark aeons sound awesome, i need to get ffx international...
peace love empathy XD

Pezz

All Washed Up
Years
I love the movies and stuff. I really look forward to them. I can't wait to get FInal Fantasy Tactics advance, I love the fantastic style to it, even though I didn;t care much for Final Fantasy Tactics.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Kairi said:
A lot of people did. In FFX-2 she's basically not wearing clothes :rolleyes:.
Rikku is wearing as little as possible showing as much as possible... it's... *shiver* degrading!

Triple Triad is so hard... the card game in FF9 is much easier (therfore better... for now) n_n;;

I loved FF9! it's my favorite ff in the playstation era... Though i admit there's some very annoying part like disc2 outer continent and the beginning of disc3 is just plain boring... nevertheless i liked that magic system more than the materia system and the junction system. It makes a character unique, while the other 2 system can pretty much make a character do any role you want them to be.

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I couldn't stand how hard in Triple Triad

*spoilers*

Ellone was on the Lunar Base. I had to retry that so many times it wasn't funny. >_<

Years
I am one of the old school FF fans with the wooden airships, castles, and all that other medieval reference to it. I was a bit worried when FF 7 came about. I liked the game, but personally it is my least fav. of the series.
However, I have grown accustomed to this new wave of FF games with the machina and technology stuff. I just wish that they wouldn't release a new FF game every year.
One of the things to me that made the older FFs so good was that they were few and far between. Of course, I suppose that is because most weren't released in the U.S. :)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
i don't mind the machin"a" stuff... just don't bring out mass machine guns and don't turn into "Counterstrike- RPG Style" then i'll be fine...

it's just the balancing issues and the Chocobo annoyance in the new FFs that annoy me a bit... is there any new FFs that are hard (exclude Triple Triad part of FF8)

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
FFX International certainly boasts some impressive monsters, with ten or one-hundred million HP? not exactly sure. It's all of your aeons in "dark" form, and then a new boss called Penance.

Scythemantis

retiredededed
Years
Inuyasha said:
yeah yeah... i know. but it seemed like no one understood that fact. anyways... i think i am a lil behind in this thread... so... i shall sum stuff up...
ff8- love it.
ff9- hated it with a passion.
all the rest were awesome...
triple triad, for ff8 is easy as heck... ff9's version sucked...
dark aeons sound awesome, i need to get ffx international...
peace love empathy XD

I thought ff9's card game was extremely fun, and I had never played the one in ff8, so you probably just couldn't get used to the change :p

That's one thing I forgot to mention...I LOVE the summons in ff8 but not much else. I haven't seen enough of X to judge it but again, the characters don't look interesting to me although the aeons do. My favs from the two are Doomtrain and ...I forget the names of those three girls, they're dressed as insects in X but they were originally bosses in V.

I was amused by Chupon being a summon in VII....I'd like to see ULTROS make a comeback someday (I know he was a boss in chocobo's mysterious dungeon though). Yay for ultros!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back