• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First gen 6 team!

ProfDunsparce

And now I become Dunsparce...
Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    Hey guys, I've just started messing around with gen 6 battling and here's the first team I've put together. Any feedback is appreciated!

Carbink@Leftovers
    Clear Body
    Sassy Nature
    252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Def
    -Reflect
    -Stealth Rock
    -Gyro Ball
    -Toxic

This guy's basically here to set up Stealth Rocks and support the team with Reflect. Toxic allows him to spread some status a bit, while Gyro Ball allows him to take out (severely) weakened opponents. I'm a little iffy about its place on the team because usually it just gets the rocks up, sets up Reflect, and then dies. Definitely open to ideas for replacements here.

Conkeldurr@Assault Vest
    Guts
    Adamant Nature
    252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
    -Drain Punch
    -Mach Punch
    -Payback
    -Poison Jab

Thought I'd play with Assault Vest to patch up the weaker defensive stat. It prevents use of Bulk Up, but on the plus side, I can run 4 moves on him. Fighting/Dark is a good offensive combination, but is resisted by fairies, which is why Poison Jab is there. Drain Punch is for healing and Mach Punch is to pick off weakened foes.

Lucario@Lucarionite
    Timid Nature
    252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
    -Nasty Plot
    -Aura Sphere
    -Vacuum Wave
    -Shadow Ball

Lucario is fast, powerful, and has access to priority in Vacuum Wave. Ghost/Fighting hits a lot of things for neutral damage and Nasty Plot pads his already formidable special attack.

Gengar@Black Sludge
    Timid Nature
    252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Thunderbolt

3 immunities give it a lot of switch in opportunities. I've also found from past experience that Gengar forces a lot of switches so Substitute works very well for it. On top of that, the popularity of Mega Gengar can really play mind games with people.

Alakazam@Life Orb
    Magic Guard
    Timid Nature
    252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
    -Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Focus Blast

With Magic Guard and Life Orb, Alakazam actually has a higher damage output then its Mega form. I just went with 4 attacks here to get as much coverage as possible.

Bisharp@Blackglasses
    Defiant
    Adamant Nature
    252 Atk/ 252 HP/ 4 Def
    -Night Slash
    -Sucker Punch
    -Swords Dance
    -Low Sweep

Basically my Aegislash counter. Defiant means it is unaffected by King's Shield. Sucker Punch is for taking on faster foes, but Night Slash is also there to allow him to hit Aegislash when it uses Swords Dance. Low Sweep is there for coverage and its somewhat useful speed lowering capabilities. Black Glasses might seem like a weak item, but I usually play with item clause so I can't use something like Life Orb (Alakazam's already using it). I'm open to suggestions though!

A potential weakness I'm just noticing is that my attacks are almost exclusively dark/ghost/fighting...

Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions/criticism!

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    A good replacement for a Carbink to set up resistances and traps could be Klefki, due to its Prankster ability, prioritising status moves. There are two ways in which you might run a good Klefki set, the first being a Suicide Lead to set up hazards and status afflictions:

Nature: Bold/Calm
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defence, 4 Special Defence
    Ability: Prankster
    Item: Focus Sash
    Imprison
    Spikes
    Toxic
    Dazzling Gleam/Play Rough/Draining Kiss

Or you could use it as a Double Screener (mainly a good Doubles Battle tactic):

Item: Light Clay
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Toxic/Thunder Wave

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    zygardian harbinger said:
    Item: Focus Sash
    Imprison
    Spikes
    Toxic
    Concerning this, Taunt is a viable option because it doesnt only shut down Pokemon which have Spikes and Toxic but other Pokemon such as entry hazard lead and other Pokemon which rely on status moves.

And Alakazam doesnt need to run Dazzling Gleam, it should go with Hidden Power [Fire] or Hidden Power [Ice] for coverage.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Carbink is weak as hell. Ferrothorn or Forretress are better because they actually fight back while also providing your hazards and defense:

Ferrothorn:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip/Protect
    -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/208 Def/48 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs

Forretress:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Gyro Ball/Volt Switch
    -Earthquake/Volt Switch
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Ability: Sturdy

Special Mega Lucario should use Flash Cannon to help it deal with Fairies more easily, since Shadow Ball may not be enough:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Flash Cannon
    -Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
    -Aura Sphere/Vacuum Wave
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Lucarionite

Bisharp's STABs now have good neutral coverage with one another, so there's no need for it to use Low Sweep:
    -Swords Dance
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Night Slash/Substitute
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 124 HP/252 Atk/132 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry/Dread Plate/Black Glasses
    Ability: Defiant

Edit: Something else to consider is Sylveon because it helps deal with the Dark/Fighting weakness:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Shadow Ball/Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Moonblast
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe

ProfDunsparce

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    Concerning this, Taunt is a viable option because it doesnt only shut down Pokemon which have Spikes and Toxic but other Pokemon such as entry hazard lead and other Pokemon which rely on status moves.

And Alakazam doesnt need to run Dazzling Gleam, it should go with Hidden Power [Fire] or Hidden Power [Ice] for coverage.

Didn't HP get nerfed this gen? I went with Dazzling Gleam because I thought 60 BP Hidden Power without STAB would be a bit weak

Years
  • Didn't HP get nerfed this gen? I went with Dazzling Gleam because I thought 60 BP Hidden Power without STAB would be a bit weak

Yeah, they nerfed Hidden Power to always have 60 BP. However, it's still recommended in some cases for extra coverage. Don't let the weak BP fool you, it's still recommended for this set as MidnightShine stated. If your Alakazam doesn't have HP Fire or Ice, just rebreed until you get the right one.

ProfDunsparce

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    Yeah, they nerfed Hidden Power to always have 60 BP. However, it's still recommended in some cases for extra coverage. Don't let the weak BP fool you, it's still recommended for this set as MidnightShine stated. If your Alakazam doesn't have HP Fire or Ice, just rebreed until you get the right one.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

Also, a question for anybody who has any experience using Alakazam: is Focus Sash worth the drop in power? I've been using Life Orb Alakazam because it hits hard with no recoil damage, but I find that a lot of the time, he gets OHKOd before he really does much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    If your Alakazam doesn't have HP Fire or Ice, just rebreed until you get the right one.
    By this statement, Hikari meant that you should breed until you get the IVs needed for Alakazam to have HP [Fire] or [Ice]. Hidden Power is a TM in-game.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I'm not so sure why you would use a Life Orb on Alakazam in the first place. The base HP stat for Alakazam is terrible, sitting at 55 for both the normal and Mega versions.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • I'm not so sure why you would use a Life Orb on Alakazam in the first place. The base HP stat for Alakazam is terrible, sitting at 55 for both the normal and Mega versions.

Dont forget its ability, Magic Guard. It ensures the boost from LO but without the recoil as Magic Guard only lets it take damage from attacks.

Last edited:

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Ah, good point. Well, to answer your question, ProfDunsparce, it would seem that keeping the Life Orb would be smart, since it doesn't take away health but still boosts move power.

ProfDunsparce

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've replaced Carbink with Forretress and that alone has made the team significantly better. I guess I'll continue to play test and see what happens :)

Back