• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First time playing Pokemon, Casual Battling

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2014
    Hey guys, so this is my first time actually playing Pokemon beyond dabbling in Emerald when I was a kid. A good deal of research so far (and a bit of help from some less responsive forums) has proven so far that my team is apparently very stereotypical (and apparently "not choosing my favourites, instead of just freaking legendaries" though I don't really have any favourites yet), but I was hoping you guys could give some constructive criticism for me to just battle with friends. I'll keep my actual team's info in black, and suggestions I've been given by other forums in red to maybe get a second opinion.
    My Team:

Blaziken & Blazikenite (Lvl 87)
    Ability: Speed Boost
    Nature: Timid, Mischievous
    EVs: TBD
    Moves:
    -High Jump Kick
    -Brave Bird (Protect)
    -Shadow Claw (Swords Dance)
    -Flare Blitz

Yveltal & Big Root (Lvl 77)
    Ability: Dark Aura
    Nature: Quirky, Mischievous
    EVs: Max Spe, Max Sp. Atk, HP
    Moves:
    -Fly (Will be replaced with Steel Wing once I'm done using him to get around places)
    -Oblivion Wing
    -Psychic
    -Dark Pulse

Lucario & Lucarionite (Lvl 76) (Probably needs the most work) (Breeding a new one was suggested)
    Ability: Steadfast (Steadfast or Adaptability)
    Nature: Hasty, Alert to sounds (Jolly)
    EVs: TBD (Max Att, Max Spe, 4 HP)
    Moves:
    -Power-up Punch (Crunch)
    -Aura Sphere (Bullet Punch)
    -Me First (A personal favourite) (Swords Dance)
    -Close Combat (High Jump Kick)

Tyrantrum & Dragon Fang (Lvl 75)
    Ability: Strong Jaw
    Nature: Timid, Impetuous and silly
    Moves:
    -Strength (Also just used for story, will likely be replaced)
    -Dragon Claw
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake

Greninja & Splash Plate (Lvl 76)
    Ability: Torrent
    Nature: Hardy, Thoroughly cunning
    Moves:
    -Surf
    -Smack Down
    -Extrasensory
    -Hydro Pump

Mewtwo & Mewtwonite Y (Lvl 72)
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Naive, Likes to thrash about
    Moves:
    -Recover
    -Psychic (Will be replaced by Psystrike when I've leveled him up)
    -Barrier
    -Aura Sphere

As a final note, I do know that people feel that me and my team are noobs, and I'm ok with that. I'm really mostly interested in battling with friends, and perhaps not being humiliated if I try to go online. For that reason, unless you guys really feel I'm being a jerk by using the Pokemon that I am, or that I have no chance of doing well with them, I'd like to keep those same Pokemon if I can, and just rearrange their EVs and Moves. (Or breed a new one for certain moves if there isn't another good option.)

Thanks again for the help :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Only 1 Pokemon can Mega Evolve per battle, so it's better to have only 1 Mega Pokemon on the team. You might need to re-breed/re-catch some Pokemon, I'm afraid. Saying characteristics is unneeded as well

A Timid nature is a waste of Blaziken's good Attack:
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick
    -Protect/Baton Pass
    -Swords Dance/Baton Pass
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Blazikenite/Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Speed Boost

Steel Wing isn't worth using on Yveltal because of its mediocre base power. Focus Blast is a better coverage move for Yveltal to use:
    -Dark Pulse
    -Oblivion Wing
    -Focus Blast/Sucker Punch/Foul Play
    -Taunt
    Nature: Modest/Timid/Rash/Mild/Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Foul Play
    -Taunt
    -Toxic/Sucker Punch
    -Roost
    Nature: Calm/Bold/Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef or 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Dark Pulse
    -Oblivion Wing
    -Hurricane/Foul Play
    -U-turn/Toxic/Focus Blast
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Choice Scarf

Greninja is only good with Protean. Only choose between one of Hydro Pump or Surf:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Dark Pulse/Extrasensory
    -Ice Beam/Extrasensory
    -U-turn/Hidden Power (Fire)/Grass Knot
    Nature: Hasty/Timid
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Ability: Protean

or
    -Spikes
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -U-turn/Extrasensory/Dark Pulse
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Barrier isn't worth using on Mewtwo at all. Mewtwo can go defensive, but there are better options:
    -Psystrike
    -Ice Beam
    -Aura Sphere/Fire Blast
    -Fire Blast/Calm Mind
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Mewtwonite Y

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Psystrike
    -Flamethrower/Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Recover
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Mewtwonite Y

or
    -Taunt
    -Recover
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
    -Psystrike/Light Screen/Substitute
    EVs: 252 HP/72 Def/184 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Psystrike
    -Ice Beam
    -Aura Sphere/Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Trick
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

High Jump Kick is an inferior option on Lucario because of the riskiness involved. Close Combat, though slightly less powerful, is a safer option; the defensive drops are inconsequential because Lucario's defenses aren't that good:
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Extreme Speed/Bullet Punch
    -Crunch/Ice Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Life Orb/Lucarionite

Tyrantrum is outclassed by a lot of things in OU, but the best it can do is Dragon Dance (but that's still done better by a whole lot of things in OU):
    -Dragon Dance
    -Stone Edge/Head Smash
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Fang
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Xolace

✿♥✿
    Years
  • Tyrantrum @Choice Scarf
    Jolly
    252 Att/252 Spe/4 HP

Ice Fang
    Fire Fang
    Thunder Fang
    Earthquake/Head Smash

Based off of my games using him I would recommend a revenge killer set. He's got power but he's infuriatingly slow.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2014
    Wow. Ok, that's a lot to process there. Thanks a tonne for the help though!

So, as far as rebreeding, I think I may do that for Lucario, though Extreme Speed seems like a better option than Bullet Punch anyways. As far as Natures though, I'm relatively content to stick with what I was slapped with. It may not be the best in OU (Still don't know what that is, mind you, but I imagine the "O" has something to do with Online), but it'll do quite well for friends, and in allowing me to at least put up a fight against a good deal of trainers.

With moves though, you've given me a lot to think about. I'll lay out what I am thinking, based off of what you guys are telling me:

Blaziken & Leftovers
    EVs: 4HP, 252Atk, 252Spe
    Moves:
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick
    -Protect
    -Swords Dance

Yveltal & Life Orb
    EVs: 4HP, 252Sp.Atk, 252Spe
    Moves:
    -Dark Pulse
    -Oblivion Wing
    -Focus Blast
    -U-turn

Lucario & Lum Berry (Does it get used up while being held in battle if it's used?)
    EVs: 4HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
    Moves:
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Extreme Speed (I think I'll not worry about rebreeding in this case, as ES seems better than BP anyways)
    -Crunch

Greninja & Expert Belt
    EVs: 4HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe
    Moves:
    -Surf
    -Extrasensory
    -Ice Beam
    -Grass Knot

Mewtwo & Mewtwonite Y
    EVs: ?
    Moves:
    -Psystrike
    -Aura Sphere
    -Recover
    -Flamethrower

Tyrantrum & ?
    Moves:
    -Ice Fang
    -Dragon Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge

Ok, so after going through that, it looks like the one I'll be breeding is Tyrunt, and that may take a while.. Thank goodness I have a Bergmite and Dratini, so I won't be guessing at what I'll get.

So the only things I have yet to decide really are what to give Tyrantrum (If nothing else, perhaps just a Scope Lens) and what I should put into Mewtwo... Between Special Attack, Speed, and HP, I'm torn.

Thanks again to both of you for the help so far!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Wow. Ok, that's a lot to process there. Thanks a tonne for the help though!

So, as far as rebreeding, I think I may do that for Lucario, though Extreme Speed seems like a better option than Bullet Punch anyways. As far as Natures though, I'm relatively content to stick with what I was slapped with. It may not be the best in OU (Still don't know what that is, mind you, but I imagine the "O" has something to do with Online), but it'll do quite well for friends, and in allowing me to at least put up a fight against a good deal of trainers.

With moves though, you've given me a lot to think about. I'll lay out what I am thinking, based off of what you guys are telling me:

Blaziken & Leftovers
    Moves:
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick
    -Protect
    -Swords Dance

Yveltal & Life Orb
    EVs: 4HP, 252Sp.Atk, 252Spe
    Moves:
    -Dark Pulse
    -Oblivion Wing
    -Focus Blast
    -U-turn

Lucario & Lum Berry (Does it get used up while being held in battle if it's used?)
    Moves:
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Extreme Speed (I think I'll not worry about rebreeding in this case, as ES seems better than BP anyways)
    -Crunch

Greninja & Expert Belt
    EVs: 4HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe
    Moves:
    -Surf
    -Extrasensory
    -Ice Beam
    -Grass Knot

Mewtwo & Mewtwonite Y
    EVs: ?
    Moves:
    -Psystrike
    -Aura Sphere
    -Recover
    -Flamethrower

Tyrantrum & ?
    Moves:
    -Ice Fang
    -Dragon Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge

Ok, so after going through that, it looks like the one I'll be breeding is Tyrunt, and that may take a while.. Thank goodness I have a Bergmite and Dratini, so I won't be guessing at what I'll get.

So the only things I have yet to decide really are what to give Tyrantrum (If nothing else, perhaps just a Scope Lens) and what I should put into Mewtwo... Between Special Attack, Speed, and HP, I'm torn.

Thanks again to both of you for the help so far!
    Lum Berry can only be used once per battle, but it's restored after every Wi-Fi/Maison battle. Also, if you want to save some hassle, breed a female Tyrunt with a male Gyarados, as Gyarados is capable of learning both Dragon Dance and Ice Fang.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2014
    Lum Berry can only be used once per battle, but it's restored after every Wi-Fi/Maison battle. Also, if you want to save some hassle, breed a female Tyrunt with a male Gyarados, as Gyarados is capable of learning both Dragon Dance and Ice Fang.

Ah, alright then. If it's only the one use, would it be beneficial then to give it something that may help it over multiple turns, like a scope lens?

And as the final request for help, I believe (sorry again for the trouble), what would you suggest for my EV distribution on Mewtwo, given that moveset? HP, Special Attack, and Speed were all suggested, but I'm unsure which to choose, or if I should go for an even split between the three.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ah, alright then. If it's only the one use, would it be beneficial then to give it something that may help it over multiple turns, like a scope lens?

And as the final request for help, I believe (sorry again for the trouble), what would you suggest for my EV distribution on Mewtwo, given that moveset? HP, Special Attack, and Speed were all suggested, but I'm unsure which to choose, or if I should go for an even split between the three.

Scope Lens isn't worth using. Lum Berry should be used if you're afraid of status. Lucario, in particular, dislikes burn and paralysis. Even though Lum Berry is a one-shot item, it still has its uses.

Go max Special Attack/max Speed and the first set I suggested for Mewtwo if you're not sure.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2014
    Scope Lens isn't worth using. Lum Berry should be used if you're afraid of status. Lucario, in particular, dislikes burn and paralysis. Even though Lum Berry is a one-shot item, it still has its uses.

Go max Special Attack/max Speed and the first set I suggested for Mewtwo if you're not sure.

Sounds fantastic :)
    Thanks again for all of the help! You are a gentleman and a scholar.
    Maybe some day when I have this all assembled, we can battle, and you can probably crush me with superior Pokemon, and the knowledge of all of my secrets. But meh, I'm sure it'll be a good learning experience

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I think PD has pretty much got your team covered, so I'll help cover something else.
    HylianScientist said:
    It may not be the best in OU (Still don't know what that is, mind you, but I imagine the "O" has something to do with Online)
    Actually, what PlatinumDude was referring to was the tiering system we use in competitive battling. In gen 5 it went like this, but could be a little different for gen 6:

Uber
    OU (Overused)
    BL (Borderline)
    UU (Underused)
    RU (Rarelyused)
    BL2 (Borderline 2)
    NU (Neverused)

Like I said, this is for gen 5. Tiering has begun for gen 6, but the process is slow. You are allowed to use any pokemon that is classified in that tier, and whatever pokemon are below it. For instance, if you wanted to play within the RU tier last gen, you could have Durant on your team because it lies within the RU tier. You could also have Ludicolo on that team because Ludicolo lies in the NU tier, which is below RU. You couldn't have Lucario on your team because Lucario was in OU, and that's above the RU tier. Hopefully this is making more sense.

Anyway, there's me giving a shot at explaining this. Hopefully I didn't do too badly and confused you. It's pretty complicated at first, but really simple once you get it. The normal tier people go by would be the OU tier, which means that any pokemon in Ubers, would be out of the question. Mewtwo and Yveltal are in ubers, but since this is for wifi play, the only thing that would happen is you would get a dirty look from a few people. Just thought I would try to explain the tiers for you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2014
    That does help quite a bit :)

Thankfully, I do understand the concept!

That's unfortunate that people would dislike my team though :/
    I had gotten a bit of that vibe earlier, hence my mentioning what people had said in other forums about my choices, but I wasn't sure if they were just trolls, or jjust mad or something. (Though that wouldn't make too much sense, since these are probably the easiest Legendaries to ever catch in the series) Either way though, I hope people still take the competition in good fun. I'd imagine there are plenty of teams without Legendaries that could smash them to pieces, so it'll even out, I'm sure.

Tyrantrum is outclassed by a lot of things in OU, but the best it can do is Dragon Dance (but that's still done better by a whole lot of things in OU):
    -Dragon Dance
    -Stone Edge/Head Smash
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Fang
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Tyrantrum @Choice Scarf
    Jolly
    252 Att/252 Spe/4 HP

Ice Fang
    Fire Fang
    Thunder Fang
    Earthquake/Head Smash

Based off of my games using him I would recommend a revenge killer set. He's got power but he's infuriatingly slow.

(Before I start, just know that this does have a point to it, so please do read on, but there will be a TLDR at the bottom if you're not feeling like reading crap)

Ok, so I went off tonight to breed my new little Tyrunt, to make sure it all worked out before I asked a friend to breed one for me (to gain faster EXP), so that he would have as little hassle as possible, and I wouldn't feel as bad for asking him. In this process, I came across a lot of the finer points and mistakes of breeding. Namely, using Pokemon that may have multiple moves you want, and that they have to *have* the moves you want to breed in. (Seriously, it took me 2 batches of 5 eggs to figure that one out.) Anyways, I eventually got a bit confused by it all, so I searched up breeding specifically a Tyrunt. I came across a thread that detailed a moveset very similar to what Xolace suggested, but it had elements of what you suggested too, PD, as well as its own new moves. In all, it put forward Fire Fang, Stone Edge, Dragon Claw, and Dragon Dance. I knew I was going to use Dragon Dance, but the other 3 moves were up for grabs

Basically, at this point, I went full try-hard and made myself a chart in MSPaint using the type chart off Bulbapedia, and cutting out and pasting just the rows for Ground (Earthquake), Rock (Stone Edge), Fire (Fire Fang), Ice (Ice Fang), and Dragon (Dragon Claw), to line up their effectiveness, and highlighted Tyrantrum's weakness columns for special attention. Long story short, the absolute best coverage from a combination of 3 of them came from Fire Fang, Ice Fang, and Earthquake. In essence, I ended up using 1 from each of your lists (technically 3 from each, but both shared Ice Fang and Earthquake) to create (what I believe to be) an even better moveset :)

(This part is more explaining, and is completely unnecessary. Feel free to skip it, and just read the end portion at the bottom of this post, but hey, for explanation's sake, here goes)
    Essentially, the first to go was Dragon. It sucked coverage-wise, and Ice was already super-effective against what it was, plus more. Plus, the move was weak by comparison. Then, no 2 types covered more in combination than Ice and Fire, so it came down to Ground and Rock. Rock had a lot of overlaps on super-effectiveness with Ice and Fire, and only had one extra type to cover. Ground also covered this type, AND covered Poison and Electric. It also has 20% more accuracy.
    (Also, the reason I didn't take Power into account was that they all come up to pretty well the exact same Power. Strong Jaw gives the Fangs 50% more Power, making them come up to 97.5 Power. The difference in Power is easily made up in additional accuracy and coverage over Rock.)

So yeah, I now have ended up with a theoretical Tyrantrum that will look like this:
    Moves:
    -Ice Fang
    -Fire Fang
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Dance
    Item: (Dang, now that I think about it, I still don't know)

So thanks again everyone for helping me get to this point! If I've made any massive oversights, please let me know.

TLDR; You guys are great, I suck at breeding, Science happened, Better moveset. (See directly above for it)

If you have any ideas for the item though, that would be fantastic

Figures, all of that thinking, and I still don't know what to use as the simple item

Last edited:
    Back