• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Flareon vs. Julteon

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2008
    Hello,

i have a level 35 evee on Pokemon LeafGreen and i am debating evolving it into flareon or julteon.

suggestions or anything would be appreciated

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    First of all, it's Jolteon... not Julteon.

You should just pick the one that you like better, which one do you think looks cooler?
    But, if you don't care about looks, just pick the stronger one. Also, decide whether a Fire or an Electric type would help your party more.

Here: Flareon or Jolteon

Personally i prefer Jolteon, for looks and the fact that there aren't that many electric type Pokemon that appeal to me.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2010
    all depends on your starter, if anything, but charizard, flareon. If charizard, jolteon.

Erbe

Misses the good old days :(
    Years
    my favorite of the eevee evolutions would have to be vaporeon! (which you could probably tell by my sig/avatar ^^) I think its just because when i was younger i got my pokemon yellows vaporeon to level 100 and demolished the e4 over and over again, then i remember trading my lv 89 mewtwo for another vaporeon which was lvl sixty-something.. i never got to train him/her though :(

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I prefer Jolteon. I have no use for a Flareon since I always use Charizard, and it has greater Attack than Sp. Attack, which I don't like in a special sweeper.

But it depends on your team. If you need a Fire-type, go with Flareon. If you need an Electric-type, use Jolteon.

Years
    Jolteon, hands-down. First off, it's fast. The only pokemon in Leaf Green that's faster than Jolteon is Electrode (Aerodactyl's a notable tie). Secondly, it's strong with a solid base Special Attack. Jolteon can do a decent amount of damage to nearly everything in the game, plus it learns Thunder Wave at L42 so you can paralyze pokemon and use paralysis for catching if you wish.

Flareon, on the other hand, has a high attack stat that is difficult to use since Flareon learns next to no physical attacks. The only good non-Hidden Power physical attacks for Flareon that I can think of are Body Slam, Return, and Shadow Ball. All of these require you to burn a TM. Furthermore, Flareon is slow, and it's pretty vulnerable (low base HP, lower physical Defense, Special Defense is alright, but it won't help much against a water attack).

Lastly, Jolteon is useful not only immediately but also throughout the entire game. It can take out any Tentacool or Swimmers in the water routes, plus it can take out all of Lorelei's water pokemon in a single hit, deal a fair amount of damage against Bruno's fighters and Agatha's ghosts, and handle Lance's Gyarados with no problems at all. Flareon will work against Lorelei's Jynx. That's it.

Fire's simply not a very useful type; it's only good against Grass, Bug, and Ice, but most Ice types are also part Water, which ruins Flareon completely. Jolteon's good in-game, and it's a great subber in competitive battling, too. The only disadvantage is you'll have to teach it Thunderbolt by TM, while Flareon learns Flamethrower naturally... at L52.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    There are much better fire types than flareon, to put it simply.

You don't really even need a fire type to do well in the game, but if you insist on having one, vulpix/growlithe would be a much better choice. Like the above poster stated, Flaeon has near-paper defenses and it can barely use it's highest stat. Electric types are also few and far between (except for voltorb, which isn't all that great) until you get surf and can go to the power plant, whereas fire types can easily be found on the route between Lavender and Saffron. I personally think Vaporeon would be the best, but between jolteon and flareon, jolteon is the clear winner if you lack and electric type on your team.

richdevildog559

My XBL GTag: X Factr559
    Years
    personally i think they r both equal cause Flareon covers a wide range of types but has several weakness... Jolteon covers several types but only one real weakness and has low defense.... it just depends on how u use them...

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Jolteon is better than flareon in my opinion.
    it wipes the floor with flareon in speed, and with Special attack.
    Flareon only has high attack which is really unnecessary unless you teach him moves like mega kick.
    but of course, richdevildog559 has a point, but if you plan on using jolteon agaisnt a ground type, teach him a good move against ground because no ground type pokemon has a speed comparable to jolteon.
    Jolteon is a really good decision for an eevee evolution because it is one of the best types and has a great speed and sp. attack to make it even better.
    But do note that there are much more electric pokemon than fire pokemon.
    Flareon won't have much use because it has a small physical movepool, but jolteon can take care of a lot of pokemon with its incredible stats.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    First off it's Jolteon, not Julteon. Second off, Flareon is a horrible, horrible Pokemon. It's only physical STAB is Fire Fang. Jolteon makes an excellent Baton Passer who can easily pass on SpA raised Charge Beams.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Jolteon wipes the floor with Flareon. Flareon is a big fluffy bunny and the way i think about it...the fluff slows him down. Jolteon is almost 2 X the speed of Flareon and to be honest learns a better movepool. There are much better fire types than flareon in Pokemon LeafGreen. But i would go with what your team needs more

Years
    The Eeveelutions all have the exact same base stats: 60, 65, 65, 95, 110, and 130. They're just in a different order.

Flareon has the 130 in Attack and the 110 in Special Defense. Not too useful.

Jolteon's 130 is in Speed, which is why it's almost the fastest pokemon around, and the 110 is in Special Attack, which helps to make it one of the best Electric pokemon.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    t3hjolteon pretty much covered it all. Jolteon over Flareon any day. <3

Jolteon -> Faster -> More Capabilities (BPing, Sweeping, etc.)
    Flareon -> ... wutnow

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Flareon -> ... wutnow

Flareon vs. Julteon

But yes, Jolteon pretty much mops the floor with Flareon in the usage and ability stakes. Flareon has a decent base stat spread, but a horrendous movepool, crippling it.

~T_S

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    Well Flareon is my choice because it will help you out in the game and it learns flamethower at lv 52. Also you can teach it over heat and fire blast with TMs.

CharizardBoy

COOL TRAINER
    Years
    well if your starter was charizard then make a Jolteon if not then make a Flareon
    But How ever

Jolteon=Great Speed.
    Flareon=Great Sp.Attack.

Years
    Honestly, Flareon is fail. Yes PHAYLE. It has poor Spd, and next to no decent physical attacks to use with its base 130 Attack. Jolteon or Vaporeon are prefered.

Back