• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Flygon w/ fire blast or hyper beam?

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    I have a flygon on my Emerald, and I wanted it to be able to fight back against ice poke's, so I taught it fire blast via tm. Since it's relatively fast I figured I could get off an attack before the other poke could use icebeam/blizzard etc. But it's nearing learning hyper beam now and I was wondering, since hyper beam has 150 power and flygon's attack is so much higher than its special attack, would it be better to swap out hyper beam for fire blast?

Here's the stats:
    Flygon Lv. 60 @Scope Lens
    Lonely nature
    Body Slam
    Sandstorm
    DragonBreath (Likely soon to be dragonClaw)
    Fireblast (or hyper beam?)

HP: 188
    At: 191
    De: 99
    S/a: 126
    S/d: 120
    Sp: 143

I forget exactly the evs I gave it but I'm pretty sure it was all in attack and speed. I think, it was a while since I first ev trained it.

Anyways any thoughts?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Stay away from Hyper Beam. It is a horrible move. Your moveset needs a lot of work too. Fire Blast is perfect for Flygon, but here is what you want to work towards:

- Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Rock Slide
    - Substitute/Quick Attack

There is nothing better than Flygon with a STAB Earthquake. Sub is great, but Quick Attack is a great finishing move.

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    Im going to say one thing go ahead and go with what shanecdavis is saying he has helped me out with a ddttar and a umbreon a while back and he is very knowledgeable and can help with any poke you want help with. kudos to shanecdavis

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I have a flygon on my Emerald, and I wanted it to be able to fight back against ice poke's, so I taught it fire blast via tm. Since it's relatively fast I figured I could get off an attack before the other poke could use icebeam/blizzard etc. But it's nearing learning hyper beam now and I was wondering, since hyper beam has 150 power and flygon's attack is so much higher than its special attack, would it be better to swap out hyper beam for fire blast?

Here's the stats:
    Flygon Lv. 60 @Scope Lens
    Lonely nature
    Body Slam
    Sandstorm
    DragonBreath (Likely soon to be dragonClaw)
    Fireblast (or hyper beam?)

HP: 188
    At: 191
    De: 99
    S/a: 126
    S/d: 120
    Sp: 143

I forget exactly the evs I gave it but I'm pretty sure it was all in attack and speed. I think, it was a while since I first ev trained it.

Anyways any thoughts?
    Hyper Beam is probably the worst move you can teach a higher level Pokemon. Your right about Fire Blast, though, so leave it on your moveset. Replace Sandstorm and Body Slam with Earthquake and Substitute for a good defensive, and offensive, set for Flygon.

warudo.kun!

I see what you did there.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2013
    it sounds too overpowered. fire blast & hyper beam makes everything not fun, and the possibility for it to work in battle is lower than most moves.

Gold95

Am I really...? Gold?
    Years
    Hyper Beam is the worst move which is a 2 move attack
    Fire Blast would be my choice as everyone says ...-^_^-

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    For in-game, you don't need Substitute. Substitute is a one-time only move tutor (I think), so you're better off saving it for later. It's not even that useful unless you're doing link battles. Rock Slide, despite being a really good choice, costs 48 BP at the Battle Frontier. If you don't have enough BP, Rock Tomb is an acceptable replacement (despite having much lower base power). It still hits Flying-types, which Earthquake can't do. I'm not sure on the last move, but keep in mind that Dragon Claw is a special attack.

Alpha de Splash

DPPtHGSS Researcher
    Years
    if you really wanted to keep those original moves, i would recommend flamethrower as a more stable alternative to fireblast. fireblast can be a bit inaccurate, but hyper beam will cost you an entire turn. plus, fire moves do well against ice types among others

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    Excellent advice guys, thanks. One problem... where can I get earthquake again? I used the TM on my swampert already =/ (which I still have in my party)

If there's nowhere, then...any other ideas for a replacement?

Also, I'm fine for rock slide; I've got lots of BP's saved up.

Once I finish replacing a few pokemon I'm going to post my entire team on these forums, you guys sound pretty knowledgeable. ^_^

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Excellent advice guys, thanks. One problem... where can I get earthquake again? I used the TM on my swampert already =/ (which I still have in my party)

If there's nowhere, then...any other ideas for a replacement?

Also, I'm fine for rock slide; I've got lots of BP's saved up.

Once I finish replacing a few pokemon I'm going to post my entire team on these forums, you guys sound pretty knowledgeable. ^_^
    Rock Slide is a good replacement for Earthquake.

Why did you teach your Swampert Earthquake? It learns it as it's last move I think.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    Rock Slide is a good replacement for Earthquake.

Why did you teach your Swampert Earthquake? It learns it as it's last move I think.
    Shoot, I didn't even know that O_O I saw endeavor at the bottom, and I assumed earthquake would be last so I thought he didn't learn it. I should have looked harder.

So you guys are saying I should have:

-F/blast
    -R/slide
    -Q/attack or sub (since q/attack would require breeding...)
    -And what should go here? DragonBreath/Claw maybe?

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2009
    Definitley choose Fire Blast, great high hitting, pretty accurate move, Hyper Beam just FAILS, it has to recharge and it really is not worth the time, plus its really not that strong.

ckn

A Black Animator
    Years
    deffinatly fireblast before hyperbeam but to be honest you would be better off with flamethrower with more pp and better accuarcy

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    Read the posts, he's already decided not to get Hyper Beam.

If you do decide to go breed for Quick Attack, try to get it EQ as well.
    I've been trying to think of a strategy to do that...It's not one of its egg moves, nor can anyone it its egg group learn the move...and I can't breed a flygon with my swampert (to pass it on from a tm) so... =/

Any ideas?

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Fire Blast, definitely. Besides, Attack stat doesn't matter with Hyper Beam. Special attack does. Just thought I'd point that out.​

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    Actually in Gen III, Hyper Beam is still physical I think. It didn't become special until Gen IV.

Anyway, if you can't breed for EQ, you could trade the TM over from another game I suppose? Other than that there's a slim chance of getting the TM through the Pickup ability in Emerald or D/P. (1% for a lvl 91-100 Pokemon). Awful odds, but if you really want it, it's always an option I guess.

Back