• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[FR] Adding new map names with HMA

__fred__40

fred
Years
  • I'M MISSING SMTH,THIS ISN'T A COMPLETE TUTORIAL,ADDING MAPS FOLLOWING IT WILL RESULT IN CRASHES AND BUGS

In this tutorial I will explain how to add new map names in Fire Red very simply and quickly

INTRODUCTION​
    This is what I mean by Map Name

TOOLS NEEDED​
    Spoiler:

STEP 1-LOCATE THE MAP NAMES TABLE ON HEX​
    Open your Fire Red rom in HMA and paste the following line anywhere you'd like
    @3f1cac ^mapnames[name<"">]
    This line will create a table that includes all the map names in the game

STEP 2-CREATE A NEW MAP NAME​
    Now click on the last name of the table and select "Add New"

Now click on the repoint buttons (HMA will find Free Space for you)

Now finally enter the new map name you want

The original table accounts for only 108 map names,so we will need to remove the limiter,to do that paste the following line in HMA anywhere you'd like.
    @0C4D8A FF
    You can now add up to 256 map names
    Thank you haven1433 for finding this limiter!

Save your rom and close HMA

STEP 3-MAKE A-MAP RECOGNIZE THE NEW MAP NAME​
    Open your A-Map folder
    Open the ".Ini" folder
    Now go to the "AdvanceMap" file
    Find the following table and increase by 1(or more if you added more than 1 map names) the
    AnzMapNamen

Save the file and close it

STEP 4-SELECT THE NEW NAME ON AMAP​
    Open your game in A-Map select any map
    Go to the Header and select your new map name

Test it and let me know if you have any issue

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    thank you for the tuto :) i followed your tuto but all others name ,like palette town is changed to the new name, i don't know why

Last edited:

__fred__40

fred
    Years
  • thank you for the tuto :) i followed your tuto but all others name ,like palette town is changed to the new name, i don't know why

I honestly wouldn't know about that,I never encountered it,try to re-do the tutorial one more time and see and constantly check for the mapnames after each step,this way you will see exactly at which step the problem occur,this way I will be able to help you more

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I honestly wouldn't know about that,I never encountered it,try to re-do the tutorial one more time and see and constantly check for the mapnames after each step,this way you will see exactly at which step the problem occur,this way I will be able to help you more

yes I tried again and I this time it appear in advance map, thank you very much for your help but I want to know if the name of the map should appear in the summary screen on the pokemon captured,because when i try it i see this (Meet in trade at lvl 10) and not the map name,thank you

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I am new to rom hacking, and use HMA. I don't fully understand the tutorial.

i open HMA, copy the the line here and paste anywhere. Then I am just left with a bunch of <34234> (example) and other like those that are highlighted blue.

the add new button on HMA is toggled off and I can't use it.

__fred__40

fred
    Years
  • yes I tried again and I this time it appear in advance map, thank you very much for your help but I want to know if the name of the map should appear in the summary screen on the pokemon captured,because when i try it i see this (Meet in trade at lvl 10) and not the map name,thank you

You are right,this is an actual issue,I will look into further as soon as I have the chance

I am new to rom hacking, and use HMA. I don't fully understand the tutorial.

i open HMA, copy the the line here and paste anywhere. Then I am just left with a bunch of <34234> (example) and other like those that are highlighted blue.

the add new button on HMA is toggled off and I can't use it.

The <34234>highlighted in blue is a pointer to the actual string that contains the name;
    As for the other issue goes,I'm not sure why that took place;I'd reccomend asking directly the creator of The Tool

Black_Fragrant

Finishing up my Firegold
    Years
  • Does this also acount for map display? i tried expanding the maps on my own several weeks ago but it freezes the game when i try to fly in the new map name.

__fred__40

fred
    Years
  • Does this also acount for map display? i tried expanding the maps on my own several weeks ago but it freezes the game when i try to fly in the new map name.

No,as I said in my previous post,I'm missing some limiters somewhere,if I ever understand how to pull this off I'll post my findings here

Back