• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] FR - Connecting Several Maps to Form One Giant City

Malkner

Falkner in witness protection.
Years
  • Exactly what it says on the tin.

I am experimenting with AdvanceMap v1.92 and a FireRed (U) v1.0 ROM, with the objective of using AM's ability to edit map connections to put together a bunch of maps, seemingly surpassing the map size limit, and making a big-nosep-ass city.

The main problem I have is how to do it. Theoretically, you can connect 4 maps as follows:
    Code:
    1 2
    3 4
    ... But that means you can't see map 4 from map 1, map 2 from map 3, etc.. You just see border tiles.

So I'm wondering: Does anyone have a better solution?

I've thought of:

• Warping when you get to the edge of a map by virtue of a bunch of tiles with the door warp property a la Castelia and Lumiose, but I'm not a fan of that one because it doesn't look particularly continuous and you can't always get away with it if you don't design your city full of labyrinthine alleyways. Remember how weird it looked in the North Boulevard of Lumiose when the screen went dark and you reappeared three feet forward?
    • Making the maps really wide and thin and stacking them on top of each other like
      Code:
      ... But I'm not a fan of that one because sprites would keep appearing and disappearing every time you walked north or south. My hack would lose professionalism if it rendered its objects more slowly than a 90's racing game.
    If anyone has any input on this, that would be appreciated.

Years
  • Maps can have multiple map connections in any direction; therefore, you just need to make the diagonal maps as secondary connections in the horizontal direction they're in and set the offset to be the height of the main map. I haven't described that perfectly so feel free to ask for clarification.

Malkner

Falkner in witness protection.
    Years
  • Maps can have multiple map connections in any direction; therefore, you just need to make the diagonal maps as secondary connections in the horizontal direction they're in and set the offset to be the height of the main map. I haven't described that perfectly so feel free to ask for clarification.
    Oh, that's nifty. I guess I always assumed because multiple map connections caused MEH to glitch out.

Delay in response was due to my wanting to test this out myself before asking questions.

But, to my surprise... hey! I don't need to ask any.
    I successfully got Red to do a hup-two-three-four around a four-map intersection with no disappearing tiles.

If anyone else is viewing this thread, the diagonal map connections were just sideways map connections, except you subtract the map's height from the "offset" text box.
    (or add to the box if youre going diagonally down)

Back