• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] [FR] Problems with Dex Expanding

BCTElite

Be still, my heart 'cause it's freakin' out
Years
  • Hey, So I've had a few problems with expanding the dex in game.
    I have succesfully added the new pokemon into the dex and started adding the info for the pokemon, which is going fine.
    The pokemon are working in game, all of the stats, move sets and dex info is working
    but I have got a few issues.
    The first is that when I catch the new pokemon and try to add them to the dex, it comes up with a screen showing a different pokemon
    for instance when catching a Turtwig it shows the Rattata dex page for registering it to the dex, but it does not actually register Rattata in the game and it does Turtwig. So this isn't a major problem.
    The second is that I can't seem to evolve any of the new pokemon I have added. I have added in new evo methods and expanded and repointed things to the right places, however it doesn't work right for the new pokemon.
    It's not that the evolutions are broken, as I can still evolved old pokemon such as Bulbasaur at level 16 into Ivysaur, but Turtwig reaches 18 and doesn't evolve like it is programmed to.
    Does anyone have any idea why?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    The first is that when I catch the new pokemon and try to add them to the dex, it comes up with a screen showing a different pokemon
    for instance when catching a Turtwig it shows the Rattata dex page for registering it to the dex, but it does not actually register Rattata in the game and it does Turtwig. So this isn't a major problem.
    Have you expanded the habitat list yet? If not, this is probably the cause of your problem; expanding it should fix it.

The second is that I can't seem to evolve any of the new pokemon I have added. I have added in new evo methods and expanded and repointed things to the right places, however it doesn't work right for the new pokemon.
    It's not that the evolutions are broken, as I can still evolved old pokemon such as Bulbasaur at level 16 into Ivysaur, but Turtwig reaches 18 and doesn't evolve like it is programmed to.
    Fire Red doesn't allow Pokemon outside of the first 151 to evolve unless you have the National Pokedex; IIRC you can fix this with a few simple hex edits without actually giving the player the National Dex.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Jambo51 posted some research into this in this thread.
    At 0xCE91A change the next 4 bytes to 00 00 14 E0. This makes the previously conditional branch into an unconditional branch, which fixes the evolutions.
    This will fix the evolution problem.

Back