• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[FR] Squeetz' Music ROM base

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
Years
  • Introduction

While developing my own Firered hack, I figured I'd want to add some more music, since, well, the music selection in default FR is kind of.. lacking.
    So I wrote down a list of a few songs I wanted, which grew bigger, and bigger, and.. you get the point.
    I never planned to add this many songs, but after porting the initial 50~ songs I wanted, I decided "why not make a ROM base for other people too?"

Gen 3-styled music!

With that out of the way, hello!
    This ROM base adds over 150 songs, mostly from Emerald, Drill Dozer, a few from Summon Night and even a song I made myself.
    If you haven't heard about Drill Dozer, I HIGHLY recommend giving the OST a listen, it's made by Gamefreak too, and it sounds really great.
    It uses the same Soundfont from RSE and FRLG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax0ZqvlhXlM&list=PLMf4m1TNEUp8u_RSHtcmwOF7IaUedOU4R
    There is only room for 7 new songs, so if you need more, you'll have to repoint the songtable at 0x800000 (0x1000 bytes).
    The songs from Drill Dozer and RSE should sound exactly like they do on those games, but Summon Night's songs will sound different due to me using FRLG's samples instead of that game's samples.

Compatability

This patch is built on the following ROM: 1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels) and adds data to 0x800000-0x8FFFFF, so make sure you have free space here before you patch. (If you use a clean rom, that shouldn't be an issue)
    It removes the old songtable at 0x4A42CC (0xADC bytes) so you can use this area for whatever you may want.
    A thing to note though, is if you use, say, Freespacefinder, and search for 64 bytes for example, and it tells you there's free space somewhere around the area this patch patches to, do NOT use this area, as it's most likely a part of a sound. Overwriting the FFs at certain locations might lead to sound corruption.
    You can however use the area at 8AA98E to 8AD9D3, and 853622 to 8543E7 and 87A290 to 87B8EB since there is nothing there. (Slight screw up on my part, there might be more such freespace areas)
    This base IS compatible with JPAN's hacked engine and MrDS' ROM base. The order you'd patch this in if you were to use both of said rom bases is:
    First, MrDS' base -> second, JPAN's engine -> third, this base.

If you want to listen to the music in Sappy, you'll have to change the line in sappy.xml from:
    Code:
    rom code="BPRE" name="POKEMON FIRE" songtable="0x4A32CC"
    to:
    Code:
    rom code="BPRE" name="POKEMON FIRE" songtable="0x800000"
    as simple as that.

Download and such

There shouldn't be any bugs, but if you find any, please let me know.
    Again, make sure you're using the correct ROM.
    Please give credit to me, Squeetz, if you use this patch!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9rk6fin2lb3tu51/Squeetz%27+musical+base.ips

If you want the new song list to show up in AdvanceMap, you'll have to edit the ini.
    To do this, go to the folder where you have A-map, -> ini -> open the file "Musik_en" and scroll down to "[Musik_BPR]" and replace that list with:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Bulbadon

Might or might not come back
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2016
    This is great music. There's not that many music bases around and this is great. Its looped too.

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
  • Marky Vigoroth

...I just liked the Skarmory icon.
    Years
  • When I first started doing music related things, I referred to a tutorial made by someone named Magnus, I think it was.

Edit: I was close, he's called Magnius and his thread is here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121856

That tutorial might be a little outdated, however.
    Thank you. I want to use this music in some ROM bases, though (per your warning) the song data overwrote some of the rombase data. Therefore, I wanted to not only manually insert the songs but also know how you inserted the songs, given that I do not want to mess up something this delicate.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Is it possible for this patch to also apply for Emerald?

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    Hey I know I'm 4 years late, but I was wondering if you knew of any way to apply this patch to a different area of the rom other than 0x800000? I already have loads of stuff there :(
    Is there something I can edit so that it puts this data at a different offset?

Years
  • Hey I know I'm 4 years late, but I was wondering if you knew of any way to apply this patch to a different area of the rom other than 0x800000? I already have loads of stuff there :(
    Is there something I can edit so that it puts this data at a different offset?

Apply patch to vanilla ROM.
    Copy all data from x800000 - x8FFFFF and paste it at your offset.
    Update all pointers (five total).

That's it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    Apply patch to vanilla ROM.
    Copy all data from x800000 - x8FFFFF and paste it at your offset.
    Update all pointers (five total).

That's it.

I actually figured out that this would corrupt the rom seeing as the pointers for loops and everything would become mixed up. Instead I just ripped the .s from Sappy and tried and tried again until I finally learned to implement them manually lol. Thanks for the help though!

Years
  • I actually figured out that this would corrupt the rom seeing as the pointers for loops and everything would become mixed up. Instead I just ripped the .s from Sappy and tried and tried again until I finally learned to implement them manually lol. Thanks for the help though!

Ah, I didn't think of that. My apologies. Glad you got it working.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2022
    I know I'm late to this party but this seems awesome! Everything works great, the only thing is that I can't listen to the songs in Sappy. I updated the correct listing to 0x800000 but it still only shows the original sounds. Advanced Map has all the sounds I can use so I thought I would save a copy with advanced map and that might add the sounds but it didn't. I'm very new but i'm just trying to get everything set up first and see how it all works.

Thanks for any help given!

Back