• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Making Competition, 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2005
    Does it have to be a full complete game or just a demo? It would be difficult to make a good complete game in such a short space of time. Or can it just be a short game? Either ways, I'm in! I'll be doing Topic 1 because a 3D maze game would be WAY too hard for me ^_^;

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Err... that I don't really know. You'll have to ask the host himself. Personally, I don't mind the game being short, as long as what is done is completed and as bug-less as possible (along with the plot making *some* sense at least.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2005
    Grading Criteria:
    Graphics: 10 pts
    Graphics are original and stand out. RTP is acceptable if used well, but not recommended. Maps are built well. Animations are fluid and fit their purpose.

Audio: 10 pts
    The music is well composed. It doesn't need to be original, but extra points will be awarded for music composed by the game author. Music has a wide variety and fits/contributes greatly to the mood. Sound effects are used properly, but not in excess or extreme moderation

Story: 10 pts
    The story is unique and original. It is creatively executed and told well through gameplay and cutscenes. Flows well.

Originality: 10 pts
    You do a lot of custom work with charsets, chipsets, pictures, CBS's, and CMS's.

Gameplay: 10 pts
    Gameplay is exciting, original, and intuitive. Everything flows well, and you have many interesting features

Fun Factor: 10 pts
    Some games can be well done, but just soooo boring. What's a game if it's not fun?

Total: */50

I just realised that the grading criteria doesn't really match the topic choices. How can a 3D maze game have a story? And how can you be graded for your story in Topic 1 when it is already predetermined? And how can either topic gain you points on Originality when you've already said what we have to make? We should be able to create original games if there is criteria for originality, story and graphics. Or is it just me tht thinks this?

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
    Does it have to be a full complete game or just a demo?
    It should be as complete as you can get it. Compete does not mean long. It doesn't need to be an epic, but if you end in the middle of something and say, "Thanks for playing! Stay tuned for the next release." don't expect good marks. If you plan a sequel you can have a cliffhanger, but nothing incomplete. Focus more of your time on debugging and stuff.
    How can a 3D maze game have a story?
    Why do you need to go through a maze? What's on the other side? Grandma's house?
    how can you be graded for your story in Topic 1 when it is already predetermined?
    Topic 1 starts you out with a few blanks so we have some continuity. The rest is up to you.

And how can either topic gain you points on Originality when you've already said what we have to make?
    Those are just the topics. It's like writing a prompt. Do you do those in school? They tell you to write about something, and then you write about it. So each paper can be graded against each other fairly, everyone writes about the same thing, but no one's essay is the same as someone elses. It's the same thing here.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    hm... O.o; How come I didn't see that rubric before?

I would love to just completely take out fun factor, because shouldn't it by default that if the first 5 things are done well, then the game will be fun as well? O.o; Also, it'll make the game rating out of 50 instead of 60 as well (yeah whoever wrote the rubric needs to go back to learn basic addition ;p)

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
    lol, that's probably a typo on my part. How embarassing! Anyway, the reason the "fun factor" section exists is to make sure that:
    1) Games which are impressive from a technical standpoint are actually fun to play. Isn't that what a games is for?
    2) Games which aren't executed very well still get points for being fun. A good concept that's just downright addicting and fun to play doesn't have to have awesome graphics and music. Sorta related to game play

If you think it's best, I can always remove the section...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    lol... I'm up for removing fun factor. From a game developing point of view, yes graphic and music are very important. From a fun point of view, hey some classics back on good old SNES are still fun to play. Compare their graphics and music to some 3D-game production, they'll look like crap, yet some of the flashy 3D-games nowadays certainly are nothing more than junk too.

Should ask the other judges about it first. There are 4 judges, right? So see what the others say ^^;

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I would have made a game but there wasn't enough time to do much between work and school.

Two months would have been long enough for me to get two or three towns and dungeons set up. Plus, I like to have the characters say more than one word at a time. Actually, I like decent length events with lots of effects in them, especally at climactic points. Two months wouldn't have been nearly enough time to make anything decent.

Oh well, I guess rush jobs are a staple in RPG Making...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    SBaby said:
    Oh well, I guess rush jobs are a staple in RPG Making...
    not really... I've seen some really good game made by fans. It's just that if a game is to be submitted for a competition that doesn't give people 2 years worth of time, then there is really no choice but a rushed job. It's 2 different types of games that we're talking about...

Ones that you are talking about are playable games where it's meant to be played and enjoyed. Games to be submitted for a short term competition like this is the chance to show off all your fancy and dazzling graphic to amaze fellow gamemakers, in order to make some friends for the benefit of more resources in the future to assist you in your serious game making. Through these contests, you know who is especially good with graphics, or good with dungeon designs (because their submitted game proved these things). You'll know exactly who to ask for help then if you need help in certain areas. Likewise, people do the same with you.

Game making competition is more about showing off your skills in order to widen your scope and make new friends (perhaps even new partnerships), rather than making a game playable.

Years
    I think we should make a company with all these amazing talents around here..
    Is there something we can do like that? We can't exactly sell our games but there must be something we can do.. If we use nintendo's concepts like pokemon will we still get sued? Even if you don't use the word pokemon or any of their graphics? I don't know if enterbrain allows us to sell anything we make with their program anyway.. Meh well I wonder if there is any other way to use our talents to earn money..

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Krazy_Meerkat said:
    I think we should make a company with all these amazing talents around here..
    Is there something we can do like that? We can't exactly sell our games but there must be something we can do.. If we use nintendo's concepts like pokemon will we still get sued? Even if you don't use the word pokemon or any of their graphics? I don't know if enterbrain allows us to sell anything we make with their program anyway.. Meh well I wonder if there is any other way to use our talents to earn money..
    Unfortunately it's illegal to sell any games created with RM2K. If you want to make money then you would have to use different makers, I know you can sell games created by Game Maker, though it may need to be a registered version and I'm not too sure about Sphere but I imagine you should be able to.

Years
    phoenix316 said:
    The deadline is now up, are there any games ready to be submitted?
    Uh... Well I did continue my work on the game I'm making but I am nowhere near a demo or anything even close to that.. I'm out

Years
    DarkMage31 said:
    Nope :)

Extend deadline or cancel competition? How many people are participating?
    Should we re-start competition later once we have a whole lot of contestants?
    I will enter eventually but maybe we should change the rules? So that people can enter their games and they don't have to follow a uniform storyline.. I think that may have discouraged people from entering somewhat.. Also they might also be making another game at the same point in time and it is very hard to make 2 at the same time (trust me I know) I'm pretty sure you know too, you are putting Lunar on hold..

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Well, me and my sausage game aren't done for sure. I don't think there are a lot of participants either. Maybe the competition should be put on hold at least until one game's done for sure.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    I agree with Krazy, it'd be better to allow any type of game. Maybe the time limit should be shorter as well to focus on the fun factor rather than trying to make an epic RPG, and to prevent people from losing interest.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Possibly, just make this a "bigger version" of the Mods Choice Award by inviting judges outside of this forum and have they grade all the games that have been completed and so on...

Actually, not that many games are ever completed *regardless* of a deadline or not. ^^; Many people get new ideas along the way and go to start a new project when the old one isn't finished, or they may just be lazy sometimes...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back