• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gamefreak introduces a new type.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    What would your reaction be if Gamefreak suddenly introduced a new type into Pokemon for Gen VII, like what they did with Fairy for Gen VI?
    You may speculate what the potential type might be and what it does, but this is not the core focus of the thread.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
  • I would hope with all my might that it wouldn't be pampered as the fairy type was. I think fairy type was a worthy addition, but it got way too much attention, even getting its own energy symbol, when so many other types didn't have their own yet. I don't see the harm in a new type, but I don't want it to screw with the existing types. Mr.Mime a fairy type?! Maybe Mime Jr., but no.
    I really don't know what other ground Game Freak could cover though.
    (The following suggestions are mostly as a joke, so don't beat me up for it)
    Glass type? Light type? Music type? Love type?

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    The only way I feel in which a new type is necessary is if it serves a role that an existing type already does not exist, outside the type chart. The way the type system has been built, at least for the first 15 types, is through establishing the type's characteristics and then building their relationships between each other. After then, the types were balanced.
    Look at Ground: A huge array of types hit for SE damage and a very powerful coverage moves in the form of Earthquake and more rarely Earth Power. There is little else to the type, no noteworthy statuses and few noteworthy pokemon outside of stuff like Garchomp and Excadrill.
    Compare this with Grass: A type that is notable for being hit by many things for SE damage and isn't very good at hitting back. However, Grass comes packed with powerful support options and exclusive abilities like Spore and Chlorophyll. While there are few particularly noteworthy representatives, most are known for their ability to support the party, like Whimsicott and Celebi.
    Notice how these two types were balanced around the type chart. This is where I think Fairy failed as a type, which was added with the primary purpose to balance out the type chart by matchups alone with little thought in balancing it around its position in the type chart afterwards.

Regumika

So Graceful
    Years
  • I agree with what many have said about balance and purpose. A type that actually fit with a "nature" or "personality." Like Fighting displays those that believe in physical strength while Psychic are for those personalities that favor knowledge. I think most types displays some kind of belief/value/characteristic with the exception to, in my opinion, Rock and Steel (for example) who kind of fill the same role (both having the trait of high physical defense). Fairy could have been along the same road as Ghost since I categorize them as "mythical." but GF decided that Fairy isn't exactly like Ghost so in the end it worked out.

Now this just came to me, what if they had a "Legendary/Neutral" type where there are no strengths or weaknesses? Kind of like Normal, but not quite the same. I don't know, maybe they can tweak it. Maybe moves all have 100% accuracy and bypasses all status changes/modifiers or something (including no benefits from Def downs).

Years
  • To me, Fairy-type was an example of doing things right.

This.

I think the type chart is balanced enough as it is right now, and there's good logic behind most weaknesses and resistances as well. I know some types may have not as good defensive capabilities or have loads of weaknesses, but then again we have some that give excellent coverage against loads of prominent threats. The only way I could see a new type coming in again is if one type in particular gets extremely broken, like Psychic in 1st Gen and Dragon from 4th-5th Gen.

Years
  • Maybe Alien type pokemon? It's hard to me to look from the point of view of a competetive kind of player because I haven't battled online thus far but looking at the effectiveness chart all types seem to be pretty balanced now that Fairy type has been introduced and the only thing that gives any opportunity for change might be Normal. I suppose GameFreak's intention for this type was for it to remain as much neutral as it can with the only direct danger from Fighting pokemon and make it its advantage but if they were to change something I think they would go this way and make Normal super-effective against Alien. On the other hand I have no idea what Alien type could be strong against, though.

Why Alien? Well, one of my reasons is that there are actualy Pokemon described as "extraterrestial" and GF has been introducing them for quite a while now, not to mention Deoxys which is an obvious example of Pokemon that originates from space. They even made him a major part of the extra delta episode in the recent games and took pokemon battles to a new, "cosmic" level ;p As such, we'd expect some change in typings just like they did converting certain pokemon to fairies or half fairies. This includes before-mentioned Deoxys but pokemon such as Elgyem (Beeheyem) and Staryu (Starmie) would do as well.

Note that I'm not talking from evidence, just loose speculation.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    The thing is with Rock and Steel is that while the pokemon of both types tend to have high defense and low HP, Rock as a type is geared far more to the offensive than what Steel is. Take a look at Coballion and Terrakion, which are part of the same trio and are distinguished between each other by their Rock/Steel types; Coballion is much better suited to a defensive role thanks to its bulk and ability to Volt Switch while Terrakion is well and truly known for its ability to just lay waste to everything in its path thanks to its brutal Attack and Speed stats and STAB combo.

As it stands, Rock hits a lot of important types hard but it is in turn hit hard back by a lot of important offensive types. Rock also has a wide array of viable moves and abilities; Stone Edge and Rock Slide for use as coverage, Power Gem for the special attackers, Sandstorm to beef up its Special Defense, Stealth Rock to punish threats for entering and Solid Rock for cutting damage taken down. While Rock has few notable representatives; those that are notable, like Terrakion and Tyranitar, tend to be very dangerous on the offensive or can just sit there and tank physical hits like nobody's business, like Rhypherior.

On the other hand, Steel's focus is on monstrously high Defense and low HP and resisting a huge amount of types; resulting in a type where a good number of pokemon of it are very good picks for a team. Outside of its defensive power, Steel has little going for it; few important types hit hard (Fairy being the only important one not covered by many other types), few viable STABs (Flash Cannon and Iron Head mainly, with Meteor Mash on some pokes) though there are a couple of utility moves like King's Shield for stopping physical attackers and Bullet Punch for priority. Steel has many notable representatives, many of which are extremely devastating. Aegislash, Ferrothorn and Heatran are all examples of extremely good Steel types, which utilize their defensive potential in one way or another.

As of now, Fairy overlaps Psychic to a great deal. The difference between Psychic and Fairy is that Psychic as a type is that the former has a lot more personality whereas the latter feels like a more offensive Psychic created solely to balance out the type chart, with a questionable job done at that. Psychic, as a whole, is a support-oriented type with many moves that support the team and some powerful offensive moves to hit back with if needed. Fairy feels like a type with just offensive power, in both pokemon and moves with little other flavor except similar to what Psychic has. Since this is Fairy's first generarion; I expect Gamefreak to improve on the type for Gen VII, similar to how Dark improved between Gens II and III.

Last edited:

LucarioFan3

Needs A New Username lol
    Years
  • Maybe Alien type pokemon? It's hard to me to look from the point of view of a competetive kind of player because I haven't battled online thus far but looking at the effectiveness chart all types seem to be pretty balanced now that Fairy type has been introduced and the only thing that gives any opportunity for change might be Normal. I suppose GameFreak's intention for this type was for it to remain as much neutral as it can with the only direct danger from Fighting pokemon and make it its advantage but if they were to change something I think they would go this way and make Normal super-effective against Alien. On the other hand I have no idea what Alien type could be strong against, though.

Why Alien? Well, one of my reasons is that there are actualy Pokemon described as "extraterrestial" and GF has been introducing them for quite a while now, not to mention Deoxys which is an obvious example of Pokemon that originates from space. They even made him a major part of the extra delta episode in the recent games and took pokemon battles to a new, "cosmic" level ;p As such, we'd expect some change in typings just like they did converting certain pokemon to fairies or half fairies. This includes before-mentioned Deoxys but pokemon such as Elgyem (Beeheyem) and Staryu (Starmie) would do as well.

Note that I'm not talking from evidence, just loose speculation.

I'm actually designing a new type similar to this right now. Though I do wonder, why change Staryu and Starmie's types?

Years
  • I'm actually designing a new type similar to this right now. Though I do wonder, why change Staryu and Starmie's types?

Solely based on bulbapedia's information about Staryu but I'm aware that certain things can be fan fiction to some point. Let me quote:

"When the sun goes down, the core glows its brightest. Many will float from the seafloor to the surface and align themselves with stars of the night sky as their core flickers, displaying a connection with the celestial bodies of space" - from the Staryu's sub page , and here's one more from the article about Extraterrestial pokemon but I'd take it with a grain of salt because they are signed as "rumored" space pokemon after all:

"Starmie are said to be extraterrestrials because they are star-shaped and they emit radio signals into space at night. Staryu gather at night and flash their red cores to communicate with the stars."

Besides, I'm not sure if it ever happened that GameFreak decided to change typing of already a dual-type Pokemon since Staryu is already Water/Psychic. Well, whatever. We'il see how it turns out :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    I think the time was right for a new type with the addition of Fairy type, it was Pokemon's transition to 3d after all.

But things are balanced enough right now that we don't need any new types for a while.

Back