• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gaming Preferences

Years
  • This is a little thread to post on your preferences in the gaming community. But that is all. Please do not post comments about other people's preferences. It only leads to trolling and flame wars, which are really bad. If you have something to say, take it to PM. But also, do not post anything in your preferences that would encourage it, like "teh Wee suxz0rs!" or something stupid like that. Instead, phrase it like this: "The Wii does not appeal to me" or something similar. And remember, there is a little thing called the report button and I am not afraid to use it.

Anyway, onto my opinions.

I have been a generally well-rounded gamer when it comes to the type of system games are played on. I like computer gaming, console gaming, and portable gaming. All of them have their unique features that just trap me in. I really like console gaming because of the robustness of the games that are released on them. That, and the traditional control scheme just works for some of the games I like to play. Consoles also provide an easy, comfortable accessibility, if you know what I mean (I just cannot play games on a computer while laying on the couch). Now, though I like console gaming, I also enjoy computer gaming. Though it does have its drawbacks (Windows registry errors, minimum system requirements, etc.), I still love it. For one, freeware games are extremely abundant on PC. Some of my favorite games are freeware and dojinsoft games. Another draw to PC gaming for me is the ease of hacking games and adding custom content (Like new rides in Rollercoaster Tycoon 2). The final appeal that seals the deal is backwards compatibility. I can basically run any game from the Windows 98SE period to now without any emulators at all. Oh, and I forgot to mention the variety of control inputs for computers, too. I like my games on-the-go, which is also why I am a handheld gamer. I can even sit at home playing my DS for hours, because I can just pick up where I left off in school the next day. I also like that handheld are usually easy to just pick up and play for a little bit. I also like that I can take my DS to my local library to play over WiFi (because I do not have it at home). So, each type of gaming has its appeal to me. I like all, some slightly more that others, but not by much.

About the games I prefer, my main choice for genre is traditional turn-based RPGs. I know it is a little specific, but RPGs are typically more involving (to me, at least) than other games. They have a balance of storytelling involvement and player input involvement that I just love (especially Dragon Quest. That is typically the series I think of when someone says RPG). That being said, I do like other genres. I like platformers. There is nothing like reliving the original Super Mario Bros. (which is actually not original. Sorry, nerd joke). Just jumping on top of enemies to kill them is so simple, yet fun. Another genre I enjoy is the fighting genre. Even though it may seem mindless, a fighting game is actually pretty strategic (which I like). I actually take the time to learn every button combination for my character of choice (like Smoke's world explosion Fatality in UMK3). I also like racing games, select sports games (when I say select, I mean games that feature sports I like, like tennis and bowling), rhythm games, and puzzle games. Though I typically like those, I am basically open to any genre.

I am not going to go into the consoles that I like more, though I do see appeal in all of them. Some more or less than others. I am just going to leave it at that (I do not want to sound like a troll or anything).

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Ooh, hmm... I'm pretty much one of those gamers who'll play games regardless of what console its on. Having said that, I own all of the five major Nintendo consoles, the GBA, DS, PSP, PS2 and Sega Mega Drive (Genesis).

My preffered genres are platformers, RPGs and fighters among others. I also like games with an innovative system.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Well sweeties, I'm pretty much a well rounded gamer, yet I have a few preferences.

Is it fun?
    Is it on a Nintendo console or PC?

Not too many prefences since I pretty much play any video game genre. ^^

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I like to think of myself as well-rounded. However I'm a console gamer, be it handheld or not. D: While I do really like what I've played of PC gaming, my laptop just has such a bad graphics card that playing a game on it is implausible and I don't have access to the desktop that would be able to play most games. (Not to mention it's just a middle-line computer, so it plays most games at a lower resolution than I'd like.)

What I like about console gaming is that the game is fine-tuned to work perfectly on the console, not the other way around. I don't have to worry about not having a rig up to speed with the gaming market because it just is. Not to mention I get far too distracted when I'm at a computer. I'd take forever to do anything because I'd be pausing any time I got an email. IT's bad enough when I'm playing on consoles but it'd be so much worse on a computer, haha.

Anyway, I know no boundaries when it comes to consoles. I own all of them for this generation. My preference probably goes 360 > PS3 > Wii for the TV consoles and DS > PSP for handheld, but I've gotten decent playtime out of all of them. If not "playtime" for the PS3, then I do get a lot of use out of it for upscaling DVDs, watching Blu-Ray discs, and... watching videos on YouTube. (The PS3's browser is SO much better than the Wii's.)

As for actual games themselves? I'll admit I'm a total sucker for JRPGs. They're so clichéd, they're often very predictable, but I just love them. I pretty much bought a 360 for Eternal Sonata once I realized Tales of Vesperia would be coming out for it too. Before I played Kingdom Hearts (which made me buy a PS2), all I'd played were first-party Nintendo games because I had no other consoles and didn't know any other genres. I'm so glad I did though because I bed I would never have found all my favourite games if I hadn't.

I'm not limited to RPGs though. I enjoy action/adventure games, puzzles, and simulations as well. To some extent, I enjoy platformers but I'm just so bad at them, most of the time, that I get frustrated and don't enjoy them as much as other genres. Same thing goes for shooters. :'D The only one I've ever played through in its entirety was Bioshock and that's mostly because I found the story compelling. (I eventually started to love the controls and gameplay too, though.) I need to play more shooters to decide if I like the genre, though. As for anything else, I don't much care for it. The only sports, racing, or fighting games I've ever really enjoyed were the Nintendo spinoffs (Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Brawl, etc.) so I don't think that's saying much. XD

I'm usually willing to give anything a try though. Some of my favourite games have come from branching out and trying new things. :D

Years
  • In this way;

Favorite Genre - RPGs/Platformer/Life Simulator (AC:WW)
    Console Preferred - Wii/DS/360/PSP (Because of FF1 and FF2.)
    Game Series preferred - Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, Super Mario, Advance Wars, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Years
  • Gaming preferences? Well, here's mine.

To make it nice and short, I will play just about any genre on any system. I'm mainly a console gamer and have nearly all of the major systems from each of the past 4 system generations. I just need to get a Dreamcast from the last generation and get myself the Wii and the PS3. If I'm bragging about that, I apoligize.

Right now, the Xbox 360, PSP and DS Lite are my main systems I play. I haven't touched my PS2 ever since I bpought my 360 earlier in the year. Like I said before, I'll play any system as long as they have good games for it.

As for genres, my main choice is racing games. I love racing games! Gran Turismo 4 and Forza motorsport 2 will suck me into their worlds for a long time, but I do like some arcade racing games like Ridge Racer. I do enjoy action games, platformers, RPGs, first person shooters and the ossacional puzzle game. I can't stand fighting games or games that require you to think a lot.

Infamous Amos

ALL BIDOOF IN MY WAY WILL FALL
    Years
  • Hmm... I prefer Classic RPGs.
    Not the new fangled Action/RPGs, but the old Dragon Warrior/Mother Series/Final Fantasy type RPGs.

I'll Play amost anything if it has a good story... But I prefer classic RPGs the most :)

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • My preferences:

RPGs: As a writer, I love a well-told story and intriguing characters; and RPGs have plenty of those. Some good music doesn't hurt either

Adventure: While not on as grand a scale as RPGs (Zelda is an exception), these tend to have good stories and loveable characters

Platformers: Who needs a story when you can have interesting stages, secret stages, characters, mini-games, and/or items?

Puzzle: Sometimes I like to relax and train my brain a bit.

Racing: Other times, I love the thrill of speeding down a track at high speed--or just tinkering with the vehicles to build the best one.

Music: Be it dancing or rocking out on a plastic guitar, I mainly play these for the songs--if it's singable, even better!

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • While I would like to say I'm a well-rounded player, people who I meet here keep telling me "you like so much of those violent Western games", an Icelandic friend has told me "wow, you're like the first Japanese guy I know who plays both FPS AND Western RPGs" and a classmate keeps asking me what Western PC games are hot right now.

So apparently to those who know me, I'm a heavy Xbox 360/PC player who plays a lot of Western RPGs, RTS and FPS games and not enough JRPGs to keep up with what they're talking about.

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Mmm... I think im an All-Around Player, i would play anything in my hands that's it hehe.

If i can get it, i'll play it so that's how i am. Mmmm... From the lil childish games to a top hardcore game where skill is all that matters ima be there in like no second thoughs.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    I myself prefer games that are immersive and commanding, and that have depth of character and story (while using atmosphere, narrative, and temerity to convey the tone at every step). Shooters and RPGs are the preferences I gravitate toward, and games like Bioshock, F.E.A.R., System Shock, and Half-Life come to mind. All those franchises. But I see games as less games and more platforms by which to ascend - they're no longer just surmounting to "games" in my opinion, they're becoming an ever evolving art form which the player partakes. I don't think any one medium of media is more artistic than the other.

That aside, my preferences are as aforementioned.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I'm more of a recreational, online player, but I also enjoy games with a deep and enticing storyline, as long as they don't drag me on for too long.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I don't think I have a preferred genre, I'm with with most of them except for sports simulation and turn-based tactics. Of the remaining genres, I like some more than others. RPGs are really just on the border line of me liking them. American RPGs are just plain awful and the JRPGs are too long and bloated and slow. Those that I have played (and liked) I still find to be overrated. With shooters I like tasteful shooters. XD I'm fine with violence but not when its excessive, gratuitous, and really just there for the sake of violence.

So minus those ones...really I'm just left with Nintendo franchises. XD

I play games for the actual game. I dislike interactive movies. Have it work well, make it fun, and make it easy to pick up and play in short bursts of time and I'm happy.

Back